SATA Port0-3 Native Mode and RAID problem

Old November 1st 08, 05:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Beemer

Default SATA Port0-3 Native Mode and RAID problem

My GA EP45-DS3P has six sata ports (0-5) I have all in use and my RAID 1
pair are connected to ports 4 and 5.

I have used F6 when installing XP to load the Intel ICH10R driver. I then
used Ctrl-I to load the Intel Matrix Storage manager to configure my SATA 1
pair.

My Bios Rev 7 has CMOS setup page with

SATA RAID/AHCI MOde = RAID
SATA Port0-3 Native Mode = Enabled

On booting I get the BSOD error Stop 0x0000007B ( etc)

For some reason I do not understand F12 to enter boot menu doe not work with
RAID enabled. I wanted to use this to check if (after enabling RAID) it is
trying to boot from the wrong drive.

Anyhow my question relates to SATA Port0-3 Native Mode. Why is only 0-3
mentioned and not 0-5? There is nothing in the manual to advise on this.
Does it mean that the porfts 4-5 I have used for the RAID are in Legacy mode
and this is why I cannot boot?

One other thing I noticed is that when booting before the blue screen , the
post screen shows

"Serial ATA AHCI Bios ver iSrc 1.07 08042006", then I get a list of
my six drives all of which are post screen marked as controlled by RAID
driver

Why then does it mention AHCI when I do not have AHCI selected in the bios?
The RAID driver was loaded using F6 from a floppy with the files

iaAHCI.cat
iaAHCI.inf
iaStor.cat
iaStor.inf
IaStor.sys
license.txt
TXTSETUP.OEM

My next move is to try connecting the RAID to ports 2 and 3 but I will first
wait to see if I get any response here.

regards,

Beemer

Old November 1st 08, 06:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

Beemer wrote:
[...]

My guess is, it'll work once the array is moved to 0..3 .

The Spec Update and table "Intel ICH10 Corporate Device
and Revision ID", hints at the separation of the ports.

http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/specupdate/319974.pdf

The datasheet, shows the SATA ports are split across two
controllers. 0..3 are on one controller, 4..5 on another.
I don't think Intel did a "programmer's guide" for this
chip, at least I don't see one for download, so I'd have
to guess at the symptoms to be expected. Since "soft RAID"
is what a chip like this provides, at least for RAID purposes,
all the ports should be equal. Whether the firmware/software
chooses to run them that way, is purely a software design
decision by somebody.

http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/datasheet/319973.pdf

Paul
Old November 2nd 08, 07:12 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Onsokumaru

I assume you created the raid array in the RAID BIOS as described in page 85
before you installed the OS?

Old November 2nd 08, 02:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Beemer

"Paul" wrote in message ...
Beemer wrote:
[...]

Paul,

Following you reply I moved the RAID pair from SATA ports 4-5 to 2-3.
After setting RAID on and Port0-3 Native on I am disappointed that I am
still getting BSOD with the Stop: 0x0000007B message.

I am confused about whether I should have the Intel Matrix Storage Manager
(MSM) software installed? Somehow I thought that on this GA EP45-DS3P
motherboard this was already on a ROM? I have downloaded the MSM software
from the Intel site but the release note shows that ICH10 is not listed only
up to ICH9. When I try to load the software Iit fails with the message
"This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the
software"

My RAID pair has been initialised although the Cntrl-I menu although when
RAID is switched off the two drives although active have not been
partitioned?

It should not be so difficult to set RAID up. I even made a fresh XP
install and double checked when using F6 that the correct ICH10 RAID driver
was selected

regards,

Beemer

Old November 2nd 08, 02:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Beemer

Yes I made a fresh XP install and used the F6 to select the ICH10R Raid
driver

regards,

Beemer

Old November 2nd 08, 09:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

Beemer wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message ...
Beemer wrote:
[...]

What driver did you install during the Windows install ?

Did you F6 an AHCI driver ? Did you F6 a RAID driver ?
If RAID is enabled, the RAID array was set up in the BIOS,
Windows was installed, some driver was added via F6, this
should be working.

"RAID Management" exists in two places. On some motherboards,
pressing Control-I brings you into the BIOS version of Intel
RAID Management. If you set up a RAID mirror in there, then
you might have to wait a few hours, for the data on one drive
to be copied to the other (assuming an OS image was already
present).

If you install just one hard drive, install via F6 a RAID
driver, boot into Windows with one drive, install the
downloadable Intel RAID Management console, then you
can control RAID from within Windows. After all that is
done, shut down the computer and add the second drive.
(At this point, no array exists). Boot into Windows again,
and run the Intel RAID Management software. If you tell the
software to set up a RAID 1 mirror, and the OS image
obviously already exists, the software runs in the background,
to make the two disks identical.

The advantage of the Windows RAID Management console, is things
can go on in the background. While using the BIOS method,
may require doing it in the foreground (tying up the computer).
(Depends on whether you need to initialize the array and have
data copied from one drive to the other.)

The README here mentions ICH10R.

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/17059/eng/readme.txt

That is from the download page at Intel, for 8.6.0.1007.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filt...4&submit=Go%21

The driver and software works based on the enumeration of the hardware.

For ICH10R, the enumeration numbers offered by the Southbridge,
can be seen in the Spec Update document. What I do, is compare
the numbers in the table, against the numbers in the INF for
the floppy driver install. That may explain what is happening.
(For example, what would happen if the driver didn't actually
install, while the disks were on ports 4 and 5 ?)

http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/specupdate/319974.pdf (page 9)

Paul
Old November 3rd 08, 12:12 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Andy

In your initial message on Oct. 18, you had Windows XP on a non-raid
drive. Are you now trying to install XP on the raid drive and getting
the boot error?

Old November 3rd 08, 06:18 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Onsokumaru

I mean you connect the drives, boot the PC, go past the system BIOS screen
to the RAID BIOS, CTRL+I to enter, create a RAID set. This is OS
independant and needs no drivers.

Then you install the OS.

Old November 4th 08, 03:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Beemer

Andy,

No the XP boot drive is not part of the Raid

Beemer

Old November 4th 08, 03:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Beemer

Yes I did this but I am now thingking that Paul might have a reason for it
to fail. I was using Sata ports 4 and 5 when I used F6 then Ctrl I anbd it
failed. I then moved to ports 2-3 but Paul thinks that this might not be
allowed after the drive is installed.