Sony and the rootkit

Old November 21st 05, 08:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Default Sony and the rootkit

Just install anydvd and you'll be safe from sony's root virus.
"NFocus" wrote in message
Hi!
Noobie here.

Been browsing the groups & blogs re Sony's nefarious doings. Amazing that
people can still be "shocked" by this considering the many misdeeds
uncovered so
far, & no doubt many more to come, of the international major
corporations. :\

I am totally ignorant when it comes to gizmoes like Ipods & other mp3
store &
play apps as I haven't really thought about buying one. And I haven't
bought a
DVD or music CD since the very first threats were made by the music &
movie
corporations to go after P2P file sharers.

I do rip & remaster my old & much loved vinyl LP's, as well as lots of my
ancient CD's that I've kept, to mp3. I do so by running a dipole wire
("Sony"
plugs at each end - Sheesh! They even get to put their name on a plug!
Oh
well, so did RCA. from my stereo's headphone outlet to my computer's
mike or
line-in input & make a stereo capture at whatever kbps I set the capture
program
for. There's no difference in audio quality between captures I've made
using
this process & a few I did some years back using my computer's CD drive.

Seeing as Sony's rootkit spyware can only be installed from one of their,
IMO,
illegally virused CD's into a computer's system, ISTM that never letting
*any*
new CD near a computer drive might be an effective "firewall" against
anything
except audio. And an audio dipole wire will only carry audio, no data
files at
all.

I hope this is of some use & that I'm not repeating a suggestion and/or
fix
someone else has already posted. I did check through your archives, but
not
thoroughly. So apologies if I'm duplicating here.

I will repeat what has already been said though, ensure that 'auto-play'
is
disabled for any CD's or DVD's on your computer. Right click & do an
"explore"
of a CD or DVD for any unexpected .exe or any other files that look
shifty. If
you find anything that you're not sure about, Google it.

After learning about this latest typically nasty corporate bullying, I
will now
*really* enjoy using that dipole wire with the "Sony" plugs. LOL

NFocus

Old November 23rd 05, 09:47 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

"El Marko" elm@rko wrote in message
Just install anydvd and you'll be safe from sony's root virus.

So it works on Music compact discs?