SATA 2 Native Command Cueing and Multi Tasking. Alot better ???

Old July 9th 05, 08:28 PM
Son Of Sheep.

Default SATA 2 Native Command Cueing and Multi Tasking. Alot better ???

SATA 2 Native Command Cueing and Multi Tasking. Alot better ???

I know the speed of SATA 2 is 300mbs. Not to fussed about that as we
are not even using the ATA 100 full bandwitdth yet

But i am interested on what effects NCQ has on responsivness of your
computer system. Will it make it much smoother.

Example coying a file and doinf somthing. That make my system grind
toa halt. Still can use it but much easier to leave it and wait.

Iam waiting to build a new 64 bit system. An Amd X2 with SATA 2 driver
sounds IDEAL.

I never want to see an Hour glass or my system slow down like it does
now.

Thanks for any info.

Old July 10th 05, 01:11 AM
Cuzman

Son Of Sheep. wrote:

" ...coying a file and doinf somthing. "

Drunk?

" But i am interested on what effects NCQ has on responsivness of your
computer system. Will it make it much smoother. "

Here's some reading for you:

http://www.neoseeker.com/Hardware/faqs/kb/15,71.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_command_queueing
http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20041116/
Old July 13th 05, 09:53 PM
Gollum

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 05:28:15 +1000, Son Of Sheep. sheep.com.au
wrote:

SATA 2 Native Command Cueing and Multi Tasking. Alot better ???

I know the speed of SATA 2 is 300mbs. Not to fussed about that as we
are not even using the ATA 100 full bandwitdth yet

But i am interested on what effects NCQ has on responsivness of your
computer system. Will it make it much smoother.

Example coying a file and doinf somthing. That make my system grind
toa halt. Still can use it but much easier to leave it and wait.

Iam waiting to build a new 64 bit system. An Amd X2 with SATA 2 driver
sounds IDEAL.

I never want to see an Hour glass or my system slow down like it does
now.

Thanks for any info.

Try here for a full test of various drives.

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2396

On a Seagate 7200.8 400gb drive.

They zipped one 300mb file 60.09 sec with NCQ 60.249 sec NCQ turned
off.
They zipped 300 1 mb files 60.493 vs 60.514 (just two hundredths
of a second difference)

If you want performance go for 10K or 15K rpm drives. I built an
office computer years ago with an Atlas 10,000 rpm drive. Everyone
that used it remarked how fast it was.

Gollum
Old July 21st 05, 02:31 PM
G MAN

It's no longer called SATA II,it's now SATA-IO. Heres a link for some
good info.
http://www.sata-io.org/namingguidelines.asp

SATA II Harddisks ? Skybuck Flying General 0 July 4th 05 12:38 AM
SATA II Harddisks ? Skybuck Flying Asus Motherboards 0 July 4th 05 12:38 AM
SATA II Harddisks ? Skybuck Flying Storage (alternative) 0 July 4th 05 12:38 AM
SATA Raid0 on Intel chipset RoS Intel 2 May 3rd 05 03:36 AM
GA-8KNXP, how to configure BIOS for SATA? John Ward Gigabyte Motherboards 20 October 6th 03 07:42 AM