A computer components & hardware forum. HardwareBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » HardwareBanter forum » System Manufacturers & Vendors » Dell Computers
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Maybe Dell is starting to figure it all out?

Old September 19th 13, 07:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default Maybe Dell is starting to figure it all out?

Today, a Dell flyer arrived in the mail. Lots of decent Optiplex, Latitude and Precision systems at reasonable prices. EVERY one of them has Windows 7 pre-installed. Not a Windows 8 in the bunch. Maybe Michael Dell looked at Lenovo's rising sales figures and also noticed that Lenovo is pushing a lot of Windows 7 boxes.

Got a Toshiba (UGH!) Windows 8 laptop in for some work yesterday. Talk about your awful mixture of hardware and software. Because I need to use both hands, I put a clothespin on my nose when I have to use the darn thing. Owner needs files moved over from an HP laptop with Vista. Poor guy has gotten burned twice. First Vista and now Windows 8. Who once said that timing is everything?

.... Ben Myers

Old September 20th 13, 02:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Larry[_12_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, September 19, 2013 12:33:46 PM UTC-6, Ben Myers wrote:
Today, a Dell flyer arrived in the mail. Lots of decent Optiplex, Latitude and Precision systems at reasonable prices. EVERY one of them has Windows 7 pre-installed. Not a Windows 8 in the bunch. Maybe Michael Dell looked at Lenovo's rising sales figures and also noticed that Lenovo is pushing a lot of Windows 7 boxes.

Got a Toshiba (UGH!) Windows 8 laptop in for some work yesterday. Talk about your awful mixture of hardware and software. Because I need to use both hands, I put a clothespin on my nose when I have to use the darn thing. Owner needs files moved over from an HP laptop with Vista. Poor guy has gotten burned twice. First Vista and now Windows 8. Who once said that timing is everything?

... Ben Myers

I was feeling pretty good about not waiting for Windows 8 and making a purchase on a precision mobile work station with Windows 7 back in October 2012..

That was until I heard that Windows 7 will stop "mainstream" support for Windows 7 on January 12, 2015.

While that seems like a short time, the "extended" support continues until January 14, 2020.

The article here explains it.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20108...windows-7.html

Larry
Old September 20th 13, 09:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
dg1261
external usenet poster

Ben Myers wrote in
:

Poor guy has gotten burned twice. First Vista and now Windows 8. Who
once said that timing is everything?

ROFL!!

Old September 22nd 13, 08:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Friday, September 20, 2013 9:48:37 AM UTC-4, Larry wrote:
On Thursday, September 19, 2013 12:33:46 PM UTC-6, Ben Myers wrote:

Got a Toshiba (UGH!) Windows 8 laptop in for some work yesterday. Talk about your awful mixture of hardware and software. Because I need to use both hands, I put a clothespin on my nose when I have to use the darn thing.. Owner needs files moved over from an HP laptop with Vista. Poor guy has gotten burned twice. First Vista and now Windows 8. Who once said that timing is everything?

... Ben Myers

I was feeling pretty good about not waiting for Windows 8 and making a purchase on a precision mobile work station with Windows 7 back in October 2012.

That was until I heard that Windows 7 will stop "mainstream" support for Windows 7 on January 12, 2015.

While that seems like a short time, the "extended" support continues until January 14, 2020.

The article here explains it.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20108...windows-7.html

Larry

Well, there's always Windows 8.1, with or without ClassicShell... Ben
Old September 22nd 13, 08:44 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, September 19, 2013 2:33:46 PM UTC-4, Ben Myers wrote:

... Ben Myers

Seems like Microsoft has a pattern here, or close. Every other release of Windows is half-baked. First, there was Windows 95, which left out a lot of things that Windows 98 took care of. Win 95 was not a complete horror show release, but in hindsight, it is pretty clear that it was a rush job to make a 1995 release date. Then there was Windows ME. Oh, ME, oh my! Definitely ugly. Windows 2000 was a rock, as was NT 4.0. XP was also shipped out sort of incomplete, but it got better and better with each service pack until there were no more service packs. Now, after installing XP with SP3, you have to endure just as many megabytes of updates as were in the install CD. (Now, send in the clones, or, to be more precise drive cloning software like Clonezilla!) Vista was a true horror show. Windows 7 quite good. Now Windows 8, ugh! And Windows 8.1, we'll see.

And they continue to pile millions of lines of program code on millions of lines. No wonder they can't keep it all straight... Ben Myers
Old October 4th 13, 02:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin
external usenet poster

My plan is use XP as long as it works, then boot
up linux.
--

On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.
Old October 5th 13, 01:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Happy Oyster[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Fri, 04 Oct 2013 09:25:12 -0400, Ron Hardin
wrote:

My plan is use XP as long as it works, then boot
up linux.

Better get Linux ASAP and use it as a base for virtual machines. In
those you can run XP and other stuff.
--
TG_1 pwned by FRAUENPOWER
----------------------------------------
http://www.transgallaxys.com/~kanzlerzwo