Installing a new update over and over

Old September 12th 13, 02:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Larry[_12_]

Default Installing a new update over and over

Wondering if anyone else has run into this problem and maybe has a solution.

Windows Vista Ultimate wants to install:

Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2760411)

It appears from the update history that this update has already been installed several times.

Its an update for Microsoft Office Suites that I don't have.

Soon after I install it I get another notice to install it again. Been a problem for the last several days.

Weird!

Larry
Old September 12th 13, 02:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Steve Urbach

On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 06:32:36 -0700 (PDT), Larry
wrote:

Wondering if anyone else has run into this problem and maybe has a solution.

Windows Vista Ultimate wants to install:

Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2760411)

It appears from the update history that this update has already been installed several times.

Its an update for Microsoft Office Suites that I don't have.

Soon after I install it I get another notice to install it again. Been a problem for the last several days.

Weird!

Larry

If you have any of the MS Free Viewers for Word, Powerpoint installed, you
will be notified of those (named) updates.

I have other updates on XP that fail (and loop), the suggested 'fix' , if any
does not work.

Run Microsoft Update: Custom Update mode:
Expand the description for the failing update: Tick the box at the bottom
That will hide the update in the future
the selection Tick should auto removed
Be sure to click Install to register all (even the Non) updates
Old September 12th 13, 07:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Larry[_12_]

On Thursday, September 12, 2013 7:52:13 AM UTC-6, Steve Urbach wrote:
[...]

I did figure out how to hide it so the notifications stopped. According to the update history, it appears to have installed sucessfully 11 times.

Wonder if I should delete all the installs?
Old September 12th 13, 10:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Alan[_3_]

There were several botched updates. Hiding them is the thing to do
for now, and don't worry about the apparent updates. MS will
eventually get working versions out.

--
Alan
Old September 13th 13, 06:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Larry[_12_]

On Thursday, September 12, 2013 3:58:04 PM UTC-6, Alan wrote:
There were several botched updates. Hiding them is the thing to do

for now, and don't worry about the apparent updates. MS will

eventually get working versions out.

--

Alan

When I look at the "update history" screen it shows 11 updates for "Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2760411)", however, in the "view installed updates" shows a normal installation. Strange, but maybe it is ok.
Old September 14th 13, 12:51 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Friday, September 13, 2013 1:39:45 PM UTC-4, Larry wrote:
On Thursday, September 12, 2013 3:58:04 PM UTC-6, Alan wrote:

There were several botched updates. Hiding them is the thing to do

for now, and don't worry about the apparent updates. MS will

eventually get working versions out.

--

Alan

When I look at the "update history" screen it shows 11 updates for "Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2760411)", however, in the "view installed updates" shows a normal installation. Strange, but maybe it is ok.

Yes, it's OK, but it's not OK. Somehow, Microsoft Update goes off the rails and can't get back on track. This happens all the time with my XP Pro tower system, so I do a Custom update and check off the updates never to have them installed again, as the man said. At this point, the best I can say about it is that it hardly ever installs a defective update, but that's not saying much, is it?

It is really agonizing to go through 170+ updates after a fresh install of XP with SP3, followed by manual installs of IE8, .NET 3.5 and .NET 4.0. I was lucky this week to install XP on identical Precision T3400 (very nice Core 2 Quad!) systems, so I cloned the drive from one after all the updates had subsided. Saved hours.

And then I could wax eloquent about Windows 7 updates. You are at your peril to run Win 7 with automatic updates. Think of this scenario. You are off somewhere with your laptop and power it down so you can catch a plane. But, OOOOPS! Windows 7 tells you that you can't shut down until all the updates are applied, 'cause they were secretly downloaded while you were working. Next time, you reboot, and twiddle your thumbs or maybe do something constructive while Windows 7 FINISHES installing the updates. And, even then, it may demand a reboot, too... Ben
Old September 14th 13, 02:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Larry[_12_]

On Friday, September 13, 2013 5:51:22 PM UTC-6, Ben Myers wrote:
[...]

Hi Ben,

Well I shut off the automatic install following your words of wisdom. I do have it on automatic download but told it to let me choose when to update.

I guess there is not much I can do about the duplicate updates. Since the 11 duplicate updates do not appear in the "installed updates" window there is no way to delete or uninstall those entries in the "update history" window.

I did notice on this last attempt to update before I caught on what was happening, the installation time was only a second or so before it stopped. So maybe it sensed the update was already installed. However the update was noted and dated in the "update history" window.

What strikes me as strange is the update was a security fix for MS Office suite which I do not have installed.

Old September 16th 13, 12:06 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Friday, September 13, 2013 9:26:51 PM UTC-4, Larry wrote:
[...]

Any of the Office 2007-like add-ons will provoke the installation of Office 2007 updates. These add-ons include Office Word Viewer, Office excel Viewer, and File Format Converters, the latter used by older versions of Office to handle the newer office X-formats: DOCX, XLSX, PPTX... Ben Myers
Old September 17th 13, 07:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Rick[_12_]

Microsoft quickly became aware of the problem with last Tuesday's updates.
It was fixed by Thursday.

One of the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack updates was causing the problem.
They pulled one update and re-released it with a different KB number and the
problem went away. Even if you are using something prior to Office 2007
these will be offered if you have installed the Office 2007 Compatibility
Pack to Office 2003. Or if you installed the M$ Word, PP, or Excel viewers
on a system that doesn't have Office.

The history shows that some of the updates were installed multiple times but
if you go to Uninstall Updates from the Control Panel you see that it is
only there once.

Rich

Old September 17th 13, 09:03 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

"Ben Myers" wrote in message

[...]

I've simply had to refuse to reinstall over 20 XP updates. It's a real pain... Ben