How do you reset a frozen PCI soundcard without rebooting?

Old November 22nd 07, 02:01 AM posted to cakewalk.audio,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc,rec.audio.pro
mjs

Default How do you reset a frozen PCI soundcard without rebooting?

"Max Arwood" wrote in message
If you are unable to reset with the Gina Console. It's locked up big
time.

And regularly, too, while using Sonar. Been doing it to me ever since I was
on the original 16 bit Gina. At least twice a week.

Like Sue said check the task manager and see if Sonar is stuck.

It's not.

If it is delete from task manager then try the Gina Console change
settings.

Right, but it's not. :-)

If that doesn't work,

It doesn't.

you are screwed.

D'OH!

What version of Sonar are you using?

7. But it happened on all versions, with all of my Echo cards.

Which Gina driver

All of them, but currently 7.x (latest one)

which OS?

Fully-patched XP.

If non of this works, I would try to remember what you were doing right
before the crash.

Just playing back.

Also which plugins were in the song you were working on. Plugins are a
major cause of crashes.

Ain't no way I'm starting to look in THAT haystack.

Guess I'll just accept that I'm stuck with the problem. This will be my last
Echo card. Thanks anyway.

Old November 22nd 07, 02:04 AM posted to cakewalk.audio,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc,rec.audio.pro
Sue Morton

Do you have the option "share drivers with other apps" checked in Sonar?
--
Sue Morton
reenews.net...

Old November 22nd 07, 11:50 AM posted to cakewalk.audio,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc,rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 20:57:02 -0500, "mjs" wrote:

Regardless of what the message says, what it almost certainly means is
that the computer can't talk to the Gina card. So if it can't talk to
the card, how will an on-screen button be able to reset it?

What does a reboot do to the card that a manually dispatched signal
couldn't?

Well, it re-boots it. When it's got into a state where logical
instructions have ceased having effect.
Old November 22nd 07, 12:51 PM posted to cakewalk.audio, comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc, rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

On Nov 21, 8:57 pm, "mjs" wrote:

What does a reboot do to the card that a manually dispatched signal
couldn't?

It completely resets the hardware and software (driver). I reiterate:
If you can't talk to the card, you can't send it a "manually
dispatched" signal. And if you could send it a "reset" signal, you
probably wouldn't need to reset it.

But all of this is just speculation, based on how I think hardware is
supposed to work. Some of it does, some of it doesn't.
Old November 22nd 07, 06:07 PM posted to cakewalk.audio,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc,rec.audio.pro
mjs

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
On Nov 21, 8:57 pm, "mjs" wrote:

What does a reboot do to the card that a manually dispatched signal
couldn't?

It completely resets the hardware and software (driver). I reiterate:
If you can't talk to the card, you can't send it a "manually
dispatched" signal. And if you could send it a "reset" signal, you
probably wouldn't need to reset it.

But all of this is just speculation, based on how I think hardware is
supposed to work. Some of it does, some of it doesn't.

But when you reboot, your CPU isn't physically walking off the motherboard
and out of the casing to go push something on the soundcard... whatever it's
doing, it's still a signal being sent, isn't it?

Why can't that signal be sent manually, and only to the sound card? I mean
technically, a reboot *is* a manual resetting... the only problem is that it
resets everything. Why wouldn't it be possible to do that exact same thing
but target only the sound card, without rebooting the system?

I'm no techie, just trying to apply normal logic.

Old November 22nd 07, 06:07 PM posted to cakewalk.audio,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc,rec.audio.pro
mjs

Yep.

"Sue Morton" wrote in message
. net...
Do you have the option "share drivers with other apps" checked in Sonar?

Old November 22nd 07, 06:13 PM posted to cakewalk.audio,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc,rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 13:07:09 -0500, "mjs" wrote:

But all of this is just speculation, based on how I think hardware is
supposed to work. Some of it does, some of it doesn't.

But when you reboot, your CPU isn't physically walking off the motherboard
and out of the casing to go push something on the soundcard... whatever it's
doing, it's still a signal being sent, isn't it?

Why can't that signal be sent manually, and only to the sound card? I mean
technically, a reboot *is* a manual resetting... the only problem is that it
resets everything. Why wouldn't it be possible to do that exact same thing
but target only the sound card, without rebooting the system?

Sometimes you just need the Big Red Switch.
Old November 22nd 07, 06:17 PM posted to cakewalk.audio,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc,rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

mjs wrote:
Why can't that signal be sent manually, and only to the sound card? I mean
technically, a reboot *is* a manual resetting... the only problem is that it
resets everything. Why wouldn't it be possible to do that exact same thing
but target only the sound card, without rebooting the system?

The soundcard isn't what is being reset, so much as the driver for the
soundcard.

On some advanced computer systems from the sixties and seventies, you could
send a signal to a device driver and cause it to re-initialize while the
system was running, but Microsoft hasn't come up to that level of technology
yet.

The REAL solution, of course, is to write drivers without bugs so they don't
lock up.
--scott
Old November 22nd 07, 06:18 PM posted to cakewalk.audio,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc,rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Laurence Payne NOSPAMlpayne1ATdsl.pipex.com wrote:

Sometimes you just need the Big Red Switch.

Nahh...

1:18PM up 303 days, 18:23, 92 users, load averages: 1.37, 1.74, 1.74
--scott
Old November 22nd 07, 06:31 PM posted to cakewalk.audio,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc,rec.audio.pro
Sue Morton

I don't think the 'reboot' is so much of a 'signal', as a power off of the
hardware device, causing it to perform a hardware reset/reinitialization.
--
Sue Morton

"mjs" wrote in message
reenews.net...
But when you reboot, your CPU isn't physically walking off the motherboard
and out of the casing to go push something on the soundcard... whatever
it's doing, it's still a signal being sent, isn't it?

Why can't that signal be sent manually, and only to the sound card? I mean
technically, a reboot *is* a manual resetting... the only problem is that
it resets everything. Why wouldn't it be possible to do that exact same
thing but target only the sound card, without rebooting the system?

I'm no techie, just trying to apply normal logic.

Audigy Soundcard being Recognized as Emu 10k2 soundcard Andrew V. Romero Gateway Computers 0 April 18th 04 06:23 AM
frozen keyboard Ted A Turner Asus Motherboards 6 February 21st 04 09:00 AM
frozen keyboards Ted A Turner General 0 February 19th 04 10:10 PM
Frozen computers dave Homebuilt PC's 3 January 13th 04 10:55 PM
Frozen computers dave General 2 January 13th 04 10:52 PM