Another Blow For the Dellsnots

Old October 26th 05, 02:22 AM
Ted Zieglar

Default Another Blow For the Dellsnots

This is for all you Dellsnots who claim that Indians are too dumb to provide technical support for Dell:

E-Tutors: Outsourcing the Coach
http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,69313,00.html

"Princeton John is one of thousands of U.S. high school students turning to tutors in India...Princeton's mother, Bessy Piusten, is pleased with the results, saying her children have been getting all A's and B's since they started online tutoring about two years ago."

There are dumb Indians too, of course, just like there are dumb Americans. But merely being Indian doesn't disqualify someone from providing good quality technical support. Dellsnots don't want to believe this...but what else do you expect from a Dellsnot?

Ted Zieglar

Old October 26th 05, 02:59 AM
Kevin

This is the first I've heard of this. Anyone who believes one human being
is inferior to any other human being based solely on culture, skin color or
language is simply a racist.

Old October 26th 05, 03:27 AM
Ted Zieglar

New to this group, are you?

You are 100% correct, of course. It's shameful that we have in this group people who freely insult those of other nationalities providing tech support for Dell, merely because they are foreigners. And it's clear from their tone that they have no respect...for anybody. That's a Dellsnot (so named because cry-babies tend to accumulate mucous.)

Ted Zieglar

Old October 26th 05, 04:04 AM
Dan

I'm not prejudice towards cultures that provide outsourced services.
Some of the most intelligent and dilligent people I know are from
south Asian decent. What I'm against is the lack of labor laws
overseas and the fact that a dollar an hour overseas will get these
people a great deal more for their money than minimum wage in the
states. Basically we've now seen that American labor laws will be
bypassed at every opportunity by corporations.

Where are all these corporate savings going? They go to the
companies, then they go in the form of dividends to the investors,
most of which are very wealthy individuals. The rich get richer, the
poor who have no spare funds to invest simply get poorer as low-wage
jobs go overseas to people who will work for even lower wages.

Of course, outsourcing has its limits. Some skills such as medical
care, transportation and skilled on-site repair can't exactly be
outsourced. Putting all your eggs in one basket can bite companies in
the ass, as well. For example, when the monsoons arrived in India
last July most American calling centers virtually ground to a halt,
Dell's included. The langauge barrier became enormous as frustrated
customers tried to understand the vague & obscure Texas call-center
dialect

In addition, outsourcing some fields like R&D can bite a company in
the ass; after all, theres no corporate espionage laws keeping
overseas researchers from utilizing company resources, then selling
their findings to the highest bidders (ie competitors) on the black
market for thousands (millions?) of dollars. Corporate espionage can
(and does) run rampant, as the pharmaceutical industry can attest.

Bottom line? Get the education, get the high paying jobs...cuz the
low-paying jobs won't be around for long.

Dan

Old October 26th 05, 04:59 AM
Irene

That is correct. But it also correct that every job "outsourced" to some one
in another country is a job opportunity lost to someone in the U.S.

It is also our dollars going out of our country.

Eventually, this will have an effect on our economy.

So go right on a cheer away, but be ready, it will eventually effect you in
a way you may not expect.

Old October 26th 05, 05:39 AM
Allan9

Not going to take sides on this. My only comment is I wish I could
understand them. And when you ask for a different agent they just hang up
on you
Al

Old October 26th 05, 02:20 PM
Notan

Leythos wrote:

snip

I don't think the issue is intelligence, it's more a problem of
understanding the spoken words and the slang/methods used by other
countries.

The problem comes in when the accent is so strong that one can't not
clearly understand the responses/questions by the technician.

There is also the fact that most outsources tech support types are
script readers - even if they have real technical skills, they are told
to use the script tools to diagnose the problem - not following the
script is grounds for a bad performance review.

As for outsourced jobs, it's just a matter of greed by the corporations.
Many companies are seeing the technical faults in outsourcing
"projects" and moving the work back to the US, but many simple jobs that
don't require masses of interaction work well off-shore.

It's still an issue that every job that goes off-shore means one less
job on-shore, and that job is mostly lost for good. While retraining can
compensate for some things, it's not going to be viable for everyone in
the existing group of outsourced masses.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

You don't see outsourcing done by companies that are barely getting by.
You see it done by multi million/billion dollar companies... Those that
are only in it for the money.

When is enough enough?

Notan
Old October 26th 05, 07:28 PM
Ted Zieglar

"You don't see outsourcing done by companies that are barely getting by. You see it done by multi million/billion dollar companies... Those that are only in it for the money."

What garbage. Are you saying that companies that are "barely getting by" never use products made in India? After all, what's the difference between outsourcing manufacturing jobs and outsourcing service jobs? Or are you saying that businesses that are "barely getting by" are not interested in making money?

That argument is just a smoke screen...an excuse to put a veneer of respectability on a reprehensible attitude.

Ted Zieglar

Old October 26th 05, 07:31 PM
Notan

Ted Zieglar wrote:

"You don't see outsourcing done by companies that are barely getting by. You see it done by multi million/billion dollar companies... Those that are only in it for the money."

What garbage. Are you saying that companies that are "barely getting by" never use products made in India? After all, what's the difference between outsourcing manufacturing jobs and outsourcing service jobs? Or are you saying that businesses that are "barely getting by" are not interested in making money?

That argument is just a smoke screen...an excuse to put a veneer of respectability on a reprehensible attitude.

snip

Have a thorn up your ass, Ted?

The discussion was about support and, as far as outsourcing support goes,
I stand by my comment.

Notan