HP7310 installation problem on Windows XP SP3

Old April 3rd 09, 08:37 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

Default HP7310 installation problem on Windows XP SP3

I have an HP Officejet 7310 printer which has been working well for
some years now (I did have installation problems when I first got it).

It's running as a network connected printer on my small LAN, it's
still working fine from the Linux systems on the LAN but I can't get
it (re-)installed properly on two Windows XP systems.

I'm not *absolutely* sure that the problems started when the XP
systems were upgraded to SP3 but I think that's when things went wrong.

I only want to install the "HP Basic Feature software/driver".

Symptoms are as follows:-

If I clean everything out very thoroughly, run the multi-pass
uninstall etc. and then install the basic driver nothing much
happens at all. The installation runs but doesn't ask any
questions (like what interface am I using or what is the IP
address of the printer). There are no error messages from the
installation, it appears to complete, but no printer is installed
as a result.

If I try the "HP Multi-Function Products Driver Bundle - Corporate
Only" drivers and, as indicated in the readme, run the network
printer install from the command line as follows:-

setup.exe -ipAddress 192.168.1.3 -s

then I do get a printer installed but it doesn't work very well.
It prints a few lines then does a page throw and stops for several
minutes, then prints a few more lines and repeats the page throw
etc.

The LAN connection to the printer is working fine, I can see the pages
from the printer's web server etc. and the printer status. Also, as I
said the printer is working perfectly normally from my Linux systems.

Can anyone suggest what I might need to do?

--
Chris Green
Old April 4th 09, 04:40 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

wrote:
[...]

I don't know if this can help or not. I'm on my Windoze98 computer
here and don't have the program name handy. When I went to add certain
software like a printer on my Dell XP laptop, it would not install the
manufacturer's drivers. It was running only on the XP drivers. The
more I looked, there was a quick warning box that popped up during the
attempted install, but it was too quick to read or do anything about.
Even though I was running as administrator, I felt like the OS was not
allowing me to execute the program. I googled XP SP3 installation
problems and found a DOS program that went through the entire registry
and turned on all the permissions on every key where they had been
permanently turned off. Apparently, these bad keys develop after
installing different software and removing it. Anyway, the program
took a long time to run. When it was finished, I was then able to load
the printer software with the expected progress screens and it works
fine.
Old April 10th 09, 04:20 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

On Apr 3, 3:37 pm, wrote:
[...]

Possible solution is to try SP3.bat even though you have SP3 loaded.
Available he
http://www.askvg.com/windows-xp-serv...ess-is-denied/