Printing margins for HP C410 (Photosmart)

Old January 6th 12, 03:37 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

Default Printing margins for HP C410 (Photosmart)

I'd like to know how close to the edge of the paper my Photosmart C410
can print but I can't find the information anywhere.

The user manual says helpfully:-

Make sure the margin settings for the document do not exceed the
printable area of the product.

However it doesn't seem to tell me anywhere what "the printable area
of the product." is. It *seems* as if the top margin in particular is
somewhat more than my old HP7310's was but I'd like to be sure it's
the printer hardware preventing me from getting closer to the top of
the page an not some magic setup somewhere.

--
Chris Green
Old January 6th 12, 04:32 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Brian Carroll

In article ,
wrote:
I'd like to know how close to the edge of the paper my
Photosmart C410 can print but I can't find the information
anywhere.

The user manual says helpfully:-

Make sure the margin settings for the document do not
exceed the printable area of the product.

However it doesn't seem to tell me anywhere what "the
printable area of the product." is. It *seems* as if the top
margin in particular is somewhat more than my old HP7310's was
but I'd like to be sure it's the printer hardware preventing
me from getting closer to the top of the page an not some
magic setup somewhere.

In my experience the minimum margins quoted in printers' manuals
and specifications are very often inaccurate and are overrdden
anyway by arbitrary figures set in applications or printer
drivers; eg, to make left and right margins the same and/or to
adjust for portrait and landscpe formats. These margins may be
OK but they should be under /your/ control, not a progrmmer's.

The best way to retain control is to measure the physical
margins. The easiest way to do this is to use a drawing
application to draw bars on an A4 'sheet' (or whatever paper size
you use) from left edge to right edge and from top to bottom.
Then print the A4 sheet and use a ruler to measure the unprinted
sections of the bars. These sections are your physical margins.

Brian.

Brian Carroll, Ripon, North Yorkshire, UK
Old January 10th 12, 12:21 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Brian Carroll

In article ,
wrote:

[ ... ]

Also the margin settings seem to be independent of the
printer. I have two printers but there's only one set of
margin settings in Word as far as I can see.

The margins should be obtained by an application such as Word
from the driver of the printer that is selected in its print
dialogue. Unless you change it, the printer used will be the
default printer (set in Printers and Faxes). Only one set of
margins can be displayed in Word at a time.

Of course it is possible that your 2 printers happen to have the
same margins.

Old January 10th 12, 02:29 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Mike[_30_]

Also to add:

I just got a warning saying that print was outside the margins, no
information about what the margins are.

You are trying different margins till not to get the error message.