New build from old parts...COA question

Old February 1st 16, 05:07 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob_Villa

Default New build from old parts...COA question

I assembled some parts I had lying around from salvage: an old Asus/AMD M/B and a used laptop drive I had from a portable USB. When I loaded Windows 7 from an OEM Dell DVD it never asked for the COA. I've never had this happen and was wondering how or why? It's been a few months, so it didn't come back and ask for it...Thanks for any thoughts!
Old February 1st 16, 05:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

Bob_Villa wrote:

I assembled some parts I had lying around from salvage: an old Asus/AMD M/B and a used laptop

drive I had from a portable USB. When I loaded
Windows 7 from an

I've never had COA troubles either. The only
trouble was trying to install XP Home over an
older XP Professional. It doesn't want to do
downgrades for some reason. I wound up just
putting in a new empty HD.

Old February 1st 16, 06:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob_Villa

On Monday, February 1, 2016 at 11:22:49 AM UTC-6, Ron Hardin wrote:
Bob_Villa wrote:

I assembled some parts I had lying around from salvage: an old Asus/AMD M/B and a used laptop

drive I had from a portable USB. When I loaded
Windows 7 from an

I've never had COA troubles either. The only
trouble was trying to install XP Home over an
older XP Professional. It doesn't want to do
downgrades for some reason. I wound up just
putting in a new empty HD.

If I was re-installing a Dell, I never had problems...but when using an OEM disc I've always had it ask for the COA. That's why I was wondering...possibly if you don't connect on the install and say *never* check for updates?
Old February 1st 16, 06:41 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

Bob_Villa wrote:
If I was re-installing a Dell, I never had problems...but when using an OEM disc I've always had it ask for the COA. That's why I was wondering...possibly

if y..

Yeah, I always reinstalled on a Dell.

Modern XP reinstalls won't get any updates if they don't have IE8 or better,
these days. The site doesn't work with IE6 for instance.

I've taken to using wsusoffline 9.2.1 to get them. Thereafter one or two still
remain to get from the site.

As for automatic XP updates, these days you could leave it on and get the
monthly malicious software removal tool run for you, which is the only monthly
update. It's not automatic with zone alarm though, which won't let the new
MRT.exe call home to finish.

Old February 1st 16, 09:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

Bob,

I think that Dell (or maybe Microsoft for all its OEMs?) cobbled up its Win 7 DVD to bypass the request for a product key. Compared to the domestic US Win 7 DVDs, the Dell one includes setup options for all the languages supported by Microsoft, so the DVD content is very large. The big gotcha comes when you go to activate Win 7, because the Microsoft borg ship will see that the motherboard is not a Dell one.

For anyone on this group using Windows XP and still on this group ( ;) ), if you create a text file with a .REG extension and the following 3 lines content, and import it into the XP registry, you can continue to get the same updates paid for by all of the banks and point-of-sale terminal XP users:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]

"Installed"=dword:00000001

.... Ben Myers

Old February 2nd 16, 05:39 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
pedro[_3_]

On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 13:56:26 -0800 (PST), Ben Myers
wrote:

For anyone on this group using Windows XP and still on this group ( ;) ), if you create a text file with a .REG extension and the following 3 lines content, and import it into the XP registry, you can continue to get the same updates paid for by all of the banks and point-of-sale terminal XP users:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]

"Installed"=dword:00000001

... Ben Myers

I saw an (admittedly MS) article which stated that POS-tagging your XP
had a significant downside which I didn't commit to memory as it's too
scarce and unreliable. But it could just be MS trying to scare people
off POS-tagging.
Old February 2nd 16, 12:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob_Villa

On Monday, February 1, 2016 at 3:56:28 PM UTC-6, Ben Myers wrote:
[...]

Thanks! I will add that I used the same OEM disk on another, newer ASUS/AMD build and it did ask for validation. Kind of weird what sets it of!?
Old February 2nd 16, 01:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

pedro wrote:
I saw an (admittedly MS) article which stated that POS-tagging your XP
had a significant downside which I didn't commit to memory as it's too
scarce and unreliable. But it could just be MS trying to scare people
off POS-tagging.

The downside is that the fixes are not tested against bare XP.

Old February 2nd 16, 03:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
sctvguy1

On Tue, 02 Feb 2016 08:22:14 -0500, Ron Hardin wrote:

pedro wrote:
I saw an (admittedly MS) article which stated that POS-tagging your XP
had a significant downside which I didn't commit to memory as it's too
scarce and unreliable. But it could just be MS trying to scare people
off POS-tagging.

The downside is that the fixes are not tested against bare XP.

It runs fine. I have been using the "hack" for awhile now, and nothing
funky is happening. Just MS trying to get you to upgrade, everything
still works fine. I have the XP SP3 disk from Dell, and even have the XP
Plus Pack.
Old February 2nd 16, 11:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Tuesday, February 2, 2016 at 7:59:44 AM UTC-5, Bob_Villa wrote:
[...]

Two comments:

The BIOS signature is what sets off the request for activation after an install of XP from Dell-branded media.

F.U.D. Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt. The IBM motto from the last part of the last century, co-opted and used regularly by Microsoft. The POS (not Piece Of S..) registry update works for any XP system. ATMs and Point Of Sale systems used generic Windows XP with some mods to limit what the systems did.. Then Microsoft announced the end of XP support. Mad panic ensued in financial world. Microsoft extracted lucre from banks, financial firms, point-of-sale computer users and Diebold. "Whoops! How we gonna support these companies now that we have their money?" said Stevie Ballmer or one of his underlings. Aha! Light bulbs lit up! The Windows registry hack was the answer.