Microsoft releases spyware software-Off Topic

Old January 6th 05, 04:08 PM
Craig

Default Microsoft releases spyware software-Off Topic

Microsoft releases spyware software

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx

Craig

Old January 6th 05, 04:45 PM
Craig

"Craig" wrote in message
Microsoft releases spyware software

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx

Craig

I mean Microsoft releases
ANTI-spyware software.

Craig

Old January 6th 05, 05:55 PM
Colin Wilson

I mean Microsoft releases
ANTI-spyware software.

You were right the first time.

Old January 6th 05, 08:39 PM
LastYJ

"Craig" wrote in news:_VdDd.15783$Wo.11472
@lakeread08:

"Craig" wrote in message
Microsoft releases spyware software

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx

Craig

I mean Microsoft releases
ANTI-spyware software.

Craig

Isn't it nice that they force you to download an ActiveX control to
"validate" your copy of Windows and also force you to go type in the 25-
digit product key before you can download this Beta software??

Oh well... at least the beta works on Windows 2000.

-lyj

Old January 6th 05, 11:43 PM
'Captain' Kirk DeHaan

Craig said the following on 1/6/2005 8:45 AM:
"Craig" wrote in message

Microsoft releases spyware software

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx

Craig

I mean Microsoft releases
ANTI-spyware software.

Craig

Won't run under Fire Fox.

--

Kirk

"Screw the planes, take a train", Me
Old January 7th 05, 02:15 AM
William R. Walsh

Hi!

Won't run under Fire Fox.

Don't know what you mean there, but if you mean the "genuine Windows
validation" process, it worked fine for me on a NT4 box with Firefox 1.0 as
the *only* browser. Obviously I couldn't make use of the MS ActiveX widget,
but a standalone download that gave the same end result was available and
worked fine.

Obviously I didn't run the spyware removal tool, as it seemingly doesn't run
on NT4. I was looking for another download at the time and decided to "just
get the validation out of the way now".

While I don't agree with the concept of "validation" to download MS
software, I do have to say that they get an "A" for effort and ease of us on
a computing platform that isn't exactly today's news.

William

Old January 7th 05, 02:35 AM
George

Wasn't quite sure...are they going to be trying to SELL this to correct
security deficiencies in THEIR OP/SYS? Ad-Aware + Spybot work quite well.

Old January 7th 05, 03:06 AM
S.Lewis

"George" wrote in message
Wasn't quite sure...are they going to be trying to SELL this to correct
security deficiencies in THEIR OP/SYS? Ad-Aware + Spybot work quite well.

You bring up a good point. Will this be automatically included (when ready)
via Windows updates, or are they going to try to sell it?

I'm scanning my system now with it to see if anything blows up. The GUI is
pretty simplified and straight-forward.

Keep in my folks that it's a *beta* version, so if you have something that
works, stay with it until it's released....

Stew

Old January 7th 05, 10:21 AM
Hank Arnold

I currently use Spy Sweeper and Quik-Fix Pro to actively protect my system
as well as having SpyBot S&D and Ad Aware.

Any experiences with this interfering with installed programs? Is it an
active protection or a scanner )or both)?

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

Old January 7th 05, 11:28 AM
Cyclops

Spyware Steve Dell Computers 2 December 15th 04 01:51 AM
Another malfunctioning ATI software Brian Ati Videocards 3 July 16th 04 12:09 AM
Freedom: Coming to a Windows Box Near You Ablang General 0 June 30th 04 03:04 AM
oops.. steve General 6 April 28th 04 01:43 AM
Machine seems slow. [email protected] General 12 January 20th 04 12:13 PM