Optiplex 270 On Board Video Question

Old December 7th 04, 02:01 AM
Mike

Default Optiplex 270 On Board Video Question

At work we have many Dell mini tower Optiplex 270 with on the motherboard
Intel video chip.
W2K Pro sp6 device manager shows the video as Intel 82865G. One PC, when I
go to the Dell website and enter the
pc service code it show the video as as Intel Springlake G on the
mohterboard. The PC boots ok into safe mode,
however, when booted regularly into W2K Pro the image on the display blacks
out because video resolution (1600 x 1200) is set too
high for the monitor. It should have been set to 1024 x 768 high color.
When I boot into safe mode I cannot find the the Intel 828656
in device manager to change the resolutiion to 1024 x 768. How can I
change the video settings to 1024 x 768 resolution?
How can I find the correct video driver on the dell website?

ThanKS,

Mike

Old December 7th 04, 04:14 AM
Ben Myers

Mike,

Boot into safe mode, go into control panel and click the display icon. That's
the best place to change the resolution, not device manager.

Given that the on-board video is identified as "Intel 82865G", go to
www.intel.com , then the downloads section, then desktop motherboards, then pick
any Intel D865 motherboard. Thereafter, you can download the latest video
drivers and chipset drivers. It looks like the same drivers are used for both
XP and 2000. FWIW, these drivers are more current than those you would find on
the Dell web site. To paraphrase Gertrude Stein, "An 865G is an 865G is an
865G". In other words, all computers with Intel 82865G graphics can use the
same drivers from the Intel web site. The industry has become too commodity
oriented for even Dell or anyone else to use a different spin of a chipset
thereby necessitating different drivers... Ben Myers

Old December 7th 04, 05:04 AM
Mike

I also tried changing the resolution from the control panel/display but it
only showed generic video adapter
ands would only change from 640 x 480 or 800m x 600 16 colors. What am I
missing?

Will take your advice and go to the Intel web site? The Springlake G is the
same as 82865G?

Thanks,

Mike.

Old December 7th 04, 02:39 PM
William P.N. Smith

"Mike" wrote:
I also tried changing the resolution from the control panel/display but it
only showed generic video adapter
ands would only change from 640 x 480 or 800m x 600 16 colors. What am I
missing?

Set it to one of those options, then boot normally, reinstall the
correct drivers, and set the resolution you want.

Old December 7th 04, 03:05 PM
Ben Myers

Your system is missing proper drivers for the 82865G graphics. Download them
from the Intel web site, install, then set the resolution the way you want it.

.... Ben Myers