M3N72-D problem getting it to boot

Old June 1st 13, 04:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
kirby

Default M3N72-D problem getting it to boot

Seems i made a bad decision, I bought an Asus mainboard from
Ascendtech. They won't give you an RMA over the phone, so they say you
need to send an email message to . Done it twice now
and no reply back.

Here's what the board is doing Maybe some here can help me fix it
since it's seems I'll be stuck with it. With the cpu and DDR2 in there
proper sockets, I hit the power button and it starts fine, but then
after about 2 seconds, maybe less, it shuts down. About 3 sec after
that it starts up again all by itself. then another 2 seconds it shuts
down. Now it will cycle like this all day long if you let it, but I
usually hold the power button in for 4 sec and it shuts down
completely. I've tried taking the ddr2 memory stcks out and restart an
it begins cycling all over again. After pulling out the CPU and
hitting the power button, the amoun of time that the system stays on
is a little longer, maybe 4 sec before it shuts down and then comes
back on just to go off again over and over. During these attemps the
system never beeped at all and never tried to POST. I didn't ever get
any kind of signal out to the monitor. I'm hoping someone might have
an idea that I can try to get this thing going.
The CPU is an X2 @ 4200 and the memory is 2x2 for 4GB 6400 DDR2
Thanks
Old June 1st 13, 05:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

kirby wrote:
[...]

There are two 4200's listed in the table here. A D0 and a DD.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/l...YT1euVL4wCyH04

And a slightly different list here. For example, there is no D0 4200+
in this list.

http://products.amd.com/en-us/deskto...f11=False&f12=

I'm thinking, it should have worked. So it's probably not a BIOS
revision issue. Maybe a cap is leaking on the motherboard ?
Did you do a visual inspection before assembly ?

You can also try with no RAM installed, and see if it'll stay
in an "beep error loop". The beep is programmed by the CPU,
and continued beeping, means the CPU is turning the beeping sound
on and off (once a second). (The beep comes out of the computer
case speaker, rather than through your 5.1 audio subsystem.)
And, in the process, it is staying powered up. By doing this
test with no RAM, I'm trying to see if it'll stay powered
under some condition.

Note that the "on off on" pattern is "normal". My motherboard
does that, if going from no AC power, to powering up the box.
But after the second "on", it stays on. Usually, a BIOS
update will fix that (it seem to disappear in later BIOS),
but I'm just too lazy to care :-) But if it stays in an
"on off" loop, then something else is going on. A BIOS not
recognizing the CPU would be one explanation, but a powering
issue is another possibility. If VCore thinks it is overloaded,
maybe "Power Good" is de-asserted, and the board does a reset
and starts all over again.

Paul