upgrading options

Old September 30th 04, 10:39 PM
Matty Anderson

Default upgrading options

I've got an Albatron KX400+ Pro board, which officially supports 333 fsb (2
x 166). This mobo also gives overclocking instructions, whereby (following
the instructions) I can up the fsb to 160, and by running the ram at 2.5x, I
can run the ram at 400. So far so good.
Let it be stated that my goal is to upgrade my Athlon 2000+ to something
faster, and I'm pondering my options.

Here are the confusing issues mobo. The manual makes no mention of it,
but the bios actually allows me to set the fsb up to a crazy 233! This
makes me wonder: If I go easy and just set it to 200, can I actually run my
processor at 400? Seems crazy, because this mobo is based on the VIA KT333
chipset, which makes me think something's weird. Really what I'm trying to
figure out is: is the 233 fsb for real, which in theory would give a DDR
speed of 466?

In the end, my question is this: Should I get a 2500+ and try to OC it to
400 and run it at 3200+ specs, or just go with stock settings running at 333
with the 2800+?

As a corollary, what top speed could my ATI 9600 withstand?

Confused as all hell,
Matty

Old September 30th 04, 11:22 PM
Ski

[...]

Dunno, what I'D try is the athlon mobile 2600 for $100 or so...
a thermalright alx-800 with a thermaltake fan, and a copy of the CPU MSR
program for changing the multi on the fly and HAVE AT 'ER.

Ran this setup on an old MSI turbo 2 (KT133A chipset)
as high as 15X152, and topped 64 bit systems in Sandra.

WORST thing could happen as far as I can see, you'll need a new mobo to make it
work.

Ski
"The only way to find out how far is too far...
is to go there"
(remove spleen to e-mail)
Old September 30th 04, 11:31 PM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 17:39:11 -0400, Matty Anderson wrote:

I've got an Albatron KX400+ Pro board, which officially supports 333 fsb (2
x 166). This mobo also gives overclocking instructions, whereby (following
the instructions) I can up the fsb to 160, and by running the ram at 2.5x, I
can run the ram at 400. So far so good.
Let it be stated that my goal is to upgrade my Athlon 2000+ to something
faster, and I'm pondering my options.

So I assume you know which core model your 2000+ is and it's not a Tbred
B core, which will overclock to about 2400MHz.

Here are the confusing issues mobo. The manual makes no mention of
it, but the bios actually allows me to set the fsb up to a crazy 233!
This makes me wonder: If I go easy and just set it to 200, can I
actually run my processor at 400? Seems crazy, because this mobo is
based on the VIA KT333 chipset, which makes me think something's weird.
Really what I'm trying to figure out is: is the 233 fsb for real, which
in theory would give a DDR speed of 466?

Yes, you can probably set the FSB to 233MHz. But even it the FSB clock
worked at that speed your PCI bus would be 46.6MHz and the Agp bus would
be 93MHz. IOW's it won't work. You could probably get 185-190MHz stable.

In the end, my question is this: Should I get a 2500+ and try to OC it
to 400 and run it at 3200+ specs, or just go with stock settings running
at 333 with the 2800+?

You could overclock the 2500+ to a little over 2000Mhz, but nowhere near
it potential. Your best bet for this board would be either an unlocked MP,
or a mobile, that has default 133MHz FSB.

As a corollary, what top speed could my ATI 9600 withstand?

Don't have a clue.:-)

Old October 1st 04, 07:46 PM
Matt Anderson

Could you summarize the situation with the mobile processors you mention? I
didn't know they would fit into the same socket. Are their multipliers
unlocked? Is there a difference between Mobile Athlon XP and the Athlon MP?

I haven't upgraded in a while, and am a little out of touch with the latest
info.

Thanks