overclocking and cooling

Old September 28th 04, 12:52 PM
newsgroup

Default overclocking and cooling

hi,

Just thawt I'd see if any of you guys might be able to help. I'm running a
2500barton on a gigabyte ga700e-l mobo with crucial 400 ram and a poor
asus9600se. Question is my temps. I started off after assembly with cpu
temps of above 50C. at idle. Just in the bios! I have removed the cooler
and have polished the copper core of the heatsink so that i can see my face
in it which although costing less than a tenner was highly reviewed by some
60 buyers on ebuyer. After replacing it with some new thermal compound it
now runs at around 46C idle.

I've read reviews by 2500barton owners without fancy cooling infact the same
cooler as mine acheiving idle temps as low as 32C. This would be more
suitable for overclocking as at present i cant put any more volts onto it
without it pushing the 50C mark again.

Another thing.my recently purchased components included a case complete with
400W(250) PSU. Using a program called speedfan I noticed a number of
discrepancies on the discrete voltages. -12V for example reading as -10.8V.
Is this acceptable or am i looking at stability issues. What are the
acceptable tolerances.

Cheers guyz

Phil

Old September 28th 04, 01:24 PM
Cuzman

"newsgroup" wrote in message

" After replacing it with some new thermal compound it now runs at around
46C idle. "

46C isn't too bad at all. It would help if we knew your case temps (and any
other cooling details you can supply). What is this mystery cooler? Can
you turn the fan upside-down?

" -12V for example reading as -10.8V. Is this acceptable or am i looking
at stability issues. What are the acceptable tolerances. "

Plus or minus 5% is an industry-accepted tolerance. Yours is 10% out,
double the acceptable range.

Old September 29th 04, 01:27 AM
Dennis E Strausser Jr

"Cuzman" wrote in message
"newsgroup" wrote in message

" After replacing it with some new thermal compound it now runs at around
46C idle. "

46C isn't too bad at all. It would help if we knew your case temps (and
any
other cooling details you can supply). What is this mystery cooler? Can
you turn the fan upside-down?

" -12V for example reading as -10.8V. Is this acceptable or am i looking
at stability issues. What are the acceptable tolerances. "

I would have to say that reading sounds false.
My system reads 12.8 sometimes 13.

400W(250) PSU. Using a program called speedfan I noticed a number of
discrepancies on the discrete voltages.

That should be enough power depending on how much your running.

Plus or minus 5% is an industry-accepted tolerance. Yours is 10% out,
double the acceptable range.

I hope this helps.

Denny. ;-) :-)