AMD 64 socket 754 prob

Old February 4th 05, 04:45 AM
Anthony

Default AMD 64 socket 754 prob

My Motherboard AGP slot is acting up so I am sending the board back to
newegg to RMA it but here is my problem.. BTW its a AMD 64 3000+ retail and
well the CPU is stuck to the heat sink anyway to get it off? lol

Old February 4th 05, 07:50 AM
Tony Hill

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 22:45:11 -0600, "Anthony"
wrote:

My Motherboard AGP slot is acting up so I am sending the board back to
newegg to RMA it but here is my problem.. BTW its a AMD 64 3000+ retail and
well the CPU is stuck to the heat sink anyway to get it off? lol

Heat it up. If the system will boot up ok, then just run it for 10 or
15 minutes, shut it down and your heatsink will come right off.
Otherwise use a hair dried (or paint stripper set to low heat) for a
little bit to warm it up.

Thermal compound acts like quite a glue when it's cold, making it very
difficult to separate the processor from the heatsink. However once
it heats up it becomes more of a liquid and allows the heatsink the
move around much more freely. In order to actually remove the
heatsink, once it's nice and warm, it's usually easiest to slid the
processor off to the side rather than trying to just pry them apart.

-------------
Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca
Old February 4th 05, 10:12 PM
George Macdonald

wrote:

My Motherboard AGP slot is acting up so I am sending the board back to
newegg to RMA it but here is my problem.. BTW its a AMD 64 3000+ retail and
well the CPU is stuck to the heat sink anyway to get it off? lol

Heat it up. If the system will boot up ok, then just run it for 10 or
15 minutes, shut it down and your heatsink will come right off.
Otherwise use a hair dried (or paint stripper set to low heat) for a
little bit to warm it up.

Thermal compound acts like quite a glue when it's cold, making it very
difficult to separate the processor from the heatsink. However once
it heats up it becomes more of a liquid and allows the heatsink the
move around much more freely. In order to actually remove the
heatsink, once it's nice and warm, it's usually easiest to slid the
processor off to the side rather than trying to just pry them apart.

Sliding to the side is kinda difficult with the A64 retention mechanism. I
haven't tried to separate one yet but I thought the TIM was just a paste on
the A64s... IOW not a phase change material. I guess heat might help
anyway and I wonder if taking the screws out of the retention frame might
allow a bit more movement.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
Old February 5th 05, 06:49 AM
Tony Hill

wrote:

Thermal compound acts like quite a glue when it's cold, making it very
difficult to separate the processor from the heatsink. However once
it heats up it becomes more of a liquid and allows the heatsink the
move around much more freely. In order to actually remove the
heatsink, once it's nice and warm, it's usually easiest to slid the
processor off to the side rather than trying to just pry them apart.

Sliding to the side is kinda difficult with the A64 retention mechanism. I
haven't tried to separate one yet but I thought the TIM was just a paste on
the A64s... IOW not a phase change material. I guess heat might help
anyway and I wonder if taking the screws out of the retention frame might
allow a bit more movement.

LOL! I was kind of going on the assumption that the original poster
had already removed the screws! Actually my understanding of it was
that he had removed both processor and heatsink from the motherboard
altogether.

As for the paste vs. phase change, yes heat definitely does help with
removing a heatsink stuck on with paste. It's not always necessary
like it tends to be with the old pink pads, but it can be.

-------------
Old February 5th 05, 06:53 AM
Anthony

lol yeah its out of the socket for sure kind of just came out when I tried
to take off the heat sink lol but the lock was on so I am not sure how it
came out ...

Old February 5th 05, 08:24 PM
Tony Hill

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 00:53:31 -0600, "Anthony"
wrote:

lol yeah its out of the socket for sure kind of just came out when I tried
to take off the heat sink lol but the lock was on so I am not sure how it
came out ...

The "lock" isn't so much a lock as just a mechanism to ensure that
it's seated properly. It doesn't hold the processor in very tightly,
just tight enough that it won't fall out accidentally.