[CROSS] Which one would you recommend me...

Old November 18th 03, 07:38 PM
Igor Jagec

Default [CROSS] Which one would you recommend me...

I'd like to buy myself a new computer with a cheaper card which will
be supported well on GNU/Linux (this is very important). I don't know
what to take, I was considering about R9200 and FX5200, eventualy on
GF4 MX. I can'd find a GF4 4200Ti in my local store so I can't decide
between these 3 models.

Models a

* CANYON GeForce4 MX440, 64MB DDR, TV-Out 8xAGP
[48 Euros]

* XFX Pine GeForce FX-5200, 128MB DDR,TV-Out,AGP 8x,RAMDAC 400MHz,
retail
[80 Euros]

* Radeon 9200, Connect3D 128DDR Mhz,TV, AGP8x,200MHz RAMDAC, retail
[90 Euros]

QUESTIONS:

1) Are FX series noisy and slower comparing to ATI?
2) What's the quality of TV out on FX5200?
3) Which one of these 3 models would you recommend me?

Thank you.

--
Cheers,
Igor Jagec
Old November 20th 03, 01:05 PM
Greg

If you want cheap and Linux compatible than why not the ATI 7500? It's about
half the price of the 9200.

Old November 20th 03, 09:48 PM
Igor Jagec

"Greg" kaže:

If you want cheap and Linux compatible than why not the ATI 7500? It's about
half the price of the 9200.

It's ok with me, but the problem is that I can't find it in local
store. I tryed to find GF4 Ti 4200, but there's no way to find a one.
R7500 sounds good, but it's really hard to find.

Thank you for the answer.

Old November 21st 03, 12:28 AM

"Igor Jagec" wrote in message

1) Are FX series noisy and slower comparing to ATI?
2) What's the quality of TV out on FX5200?
3) Which one of these 3 models would you recommend me?

If you're using Linux then it has to be Nvidia as they have the best drivers
by far. To be fair to Ati they catching up rapidly though. Don't get an
FX5200 as they are very slow. 5600/5700 Ultras are pretty competitive with
the 9600Pro/XT

Old November 21st 03, 11:06 AM
Igor Jagec

"K" kaže:

If you're using Linux then it has to be Nvidia as they have the best drivers
by far. To be fair to Ati they catching up rapidly though. Don't get an
FX5200 as they are very slow.

I heard about it. I'd like to have GF4 Ti 4200, but I don't think I
could find it in local store

FX5200 is relatively cheap, and I'm not planing to play games (but you
never know when you can become an addict ))) so I thought that would
be ok for me, for now, but you never know...

5600/5700 Ultras are pretty competitive with the 9600Pro/XT

I know, but they are expensive for me

Who knows, maybe FX5600 non Ultra or FX5200 Ultra would be a better
choice? I don't know, maybe I invest more money for that, I'll
concider about that.

Thank you mate!