New Memory

Old May 18th 06, 02:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default New Memory

Since nobody really checks the software section of this website
(either that or nobody had an answer to my question) I decided to
post in here. It is not a troubleshooting issue it is more of a
hardware question. If my computer tells me frequently that there is
not enough memory and the resources are dangerously low, what does
this mean? Does this mean I need to get more memory? Ram? A new
CPU? What?

Old May 18th 06, 03:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Mexplorer1906" wrote in message
. ..
Since nobody really checks the software section of this website
(either that or nobody had an answer to my question) I decided to
post in here. It is not a troubleshooting issue it is more of a
hardware question. If my computer tells me frequently that there is
not enough memory and the resources are dangerously low, what does
this mean? Does this mean I need to get more memory? Ram? A new
CPU? What?

virus malware spyware
hard drive is running out of space and virtual memory is running out of room
virtual memory is turned off

hth

Old May 18th 06, 01:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Mexplorer1906 wrote:
Since nobody really checks the software section of this website
(either that or nobody had an answer to my question) I decided to
post in here. It is not a troubleshooting issue it is more of a
hardware question. If my computer tells me frequently that there is
not enough memory and the resources are dangerously low, what does
this mean? Does this mean I need to get more memory? Ram? A new
CPU? What?

What kind of resources do you have??? Computer type and hardware present??
Old May 18th 06, 03:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Mexplorer1906" wrote in message
. ..
Since nobody really checks the software section of this website
(either that or nobody had an answer to my question) I decided to
post in here. It is not a troubleshooting issue it is more of a
hardware question. If my computer tells me frequently that there is
not enough memory and the resources are dangerously low, what does
this mean? Does this mean I need to get more memory? Ram? A new
CPU? What?

It could be as simple as your hard drive needs to be defragged, or is simply
too full. Windows won't be very happy with less than about 2Gigs of free
space available on the hard drive. The reason is that Windows uses so much
RAM, that it has to use hard drive space to simulate RAM. If you are
getting low resources, this means that all of your RAM is in use, and
Windows is running out of space on the hard drive to use hard drive space
for virtual RAM. (this space is called a swap file or page file, depending
on what version of windows you run)

To check your hard drive, start a DOS prompt (or "command prompt) from
within windows and type the command
dir/s (and hit enter)
It will run for a while, but when it finishes, it will give you a summary of
your disk usage, and the last line should read _______________ bytes free.
You want that number of bytes free to be 2,000,000,000 or larger.

If you have plenty of free space, check your swap file settings (virtual
memory) and make sure that it's set to allow windows to manage it, or that a
custom swap/page file is set no smaller than 1000MB. You should also defrag
your hard drive (under system tools, disk defragmenter) and scan your hard
drive for viruses. Bad programs (not necessarily viruses) can cause "memory
leaks" which can lead to error messages about low resources on a computer
with plenty of RAM.

It's also possible to use too many resources simply by starting too many
programs when windows starts. Do a start, run, msconfig, go to the startup
tab, and see how many programs are checked. If you don't need it running,
UNCHECK the program, hit apply and restart the computer. If you aren't sure
what a program is, check the name of it at www.sysinfo.org.

Good luck, -Dave -Dave

Old May 19th 06, 08:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

[...]

Good luck, -Dave -Dave[/quote]

Thanks a lot I think I have 40,215.13 MB free.