Further Advice Sought

Old August 13th 05, 08:17 AM
Andy

Default Further Advice Sought

To All Cognoscenti,

In my recent message on the subject "Expert Advice Sought" I reported that
the local outfit that had built my computer for me removed the tiny fan from
the slide-out cage containing the HDD, and that the HDD subsequently failed.
Further checking by me has revealed that the "Health Status" of my computer,
as reported by the CMOS Setup Utility, shows that the CPU Warning
Temperature and the CPU Fan Fail Warning were both disabled. Please indicate
to me any reasons why a seller of computers would want to disable these
warnings and remove the cooling fan from the slide-out cage containing a
HDD. What action do you advise me to take?

The CMOS Setup Utility shows the following values:

Current System Temperature 40 C
Current CPU Temperature 64 C
Current CPU Fan Speed 3240 RPM

Are these values normal?

Your guidance to this non-technical computer user would be much appreciated.

Andy

Old August 13th 05, 09:41 AM
wolfgang schneider

In article x8hLe.174748$HI.65829@edtnps84, says...
To All Cognoscenti,
=20
In my recent message on the subject "Expert Advice Sought" I reported tha=

the local outfit that had built my computer for me removed the tiny fan f=

rom
the slide-out cage containing the HDD, and that the HDD subsequently fail=

ed.
Further checking by me has revealed that the "Health Status" of my comput=

er,
as reported by the CMOS Setup Utility, shows that the CPU Warning
Temperature and the CPU Fan Fail Warning were both disabled. Please indic=

ate
to me any reasons why a seller of computers would want to disable these
warnings and remove the cooling fan from the slide-out cage containing a
HDD. What action do you advise me to take?

warnings i would disable probably to a often beeping machine , going in=20
the risk of overheating , but afterwards telling the customer some lies=20
about reasons . etc. ....

return this machine get your money back and look for a reasonable seller=20
..

=20
The CMOS Setup Utility shows the following values:
=20
Current System Temperature 40 C
Current CPU Temperature 64 C
Current CPU Fan Speed 3240 RPM
=20
Are these values normal?
=20

depends if you are at northern russia or the mojave , but i wouldn't=20
accept this temperatures as normal working temp.=20

i have now in southern-germany :

outdoors ~ 21 C=B0
systemcase =0924 C=B0
cpu =09=0929 C=B0
mainboard=0926 C=B0

--=20
gruss , wolfgang
-----@
gravity still lives
Old August 13th 05, 11:45 AM
Rod Speed

Andy wrote

To All Cognoscenti,

I'm still not a wog.

In my recent message on the subject "Expert Advice Sought" I reported
that the local outfit that had built my computer for me removed the
tiny fan from the slide-out cage containing the HDD, and that the HDD
subsequently failed. Further checking by me has revealed that the
"Health Status" of my computer, as reported by the CMOS Setup
Utility, shows that the CPU Warning Temperature and the CPU Fan Fail
Warning were both disabled. Please indicate to me any reasons why a
seller of computers would want to disable these warnings

They often default to disabled.

and remove the cooling fan from the slide-out cage containing a HDD.

It may not have ever had the fan fitted, the cheapest version often doesnt.

What action do you advise me to take?

Measure the SMART temperature of the drive using Everest
and get a new removable drive carrier with a decent fan if
the temperature is higher than 45 C in the summer.

The CMOS Setup Utility shows the following values:

Current System Temperature 40 C
Current CPU Temperature 64 C
Current CPU Fan Speed 3240 RPM

Are these values normal?

Yes, with an Intel Prescott cpu or an AMD.

Your guidance to this non-technical computer user would be much appreciated.

Old August 13th 05, 09:53 PM
Andy

Hi Rod,

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Andy wrote

To All Cognoscenti,

I'm still not a wog.

In my recent message on the subject "Expert Advice Sought" I reported
that the local outfit that had built my computer for me removed the
tiny fan from the slide-out cage containing the HDD, and that the HDD
subsequently failed. Further checking by me has revealed that the
"Health Status" of my computer, as reported by the CMOS Setup
Utility, shows that the CPU Warning Temperature and the CPU Fan Fail
Warning were both disabled. Please indicate to me any reasons why a
seller of computers would want to disable these warnings

They often default to disabled.

Shouldn't the builder enable them before delivering the machine?

and remove the cooling fan from the slide-out cage containing a HDD.

It may not have ever had the fan fitted, the cheapest version often
doesnt.

According to the builder, he removed the fan.

What action do you advise me to take?

Measure the SMART temperature of the drive using Everest
and get a new removable drive carrier with a decent fan if
the temperature is higher than 45 C in the summer.

The replacement drive will go into the case and not into a slide-out cage.
I've already got Everest, but I have to rebuild my system first.

The CMOS Setup Utility shows the following values:

Current System Temperature 40 C
Current CPU Temperature 64 C
Current CPU Fan Speed 3240 RPM

Are these values normal?

Yes, with an Intel Prescott cpu or an AMD.

My CPU is an AMD XP2600+ (2.08 MGHz).

Old August 13th 05, 11:46 PM
Rod Speed

Andy wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Andy wrote

In my recent message on the subject "Expert Advice Sought" I
reported that the local outfit that had built my computer for me
removed the tiny fan from the slide-out cage containing the HDD,
and that the HDD subsequently failed. Further checking by me has
revealed that the "Health Status" of my computer, as reported by
the CMOS Setup Utility, shows that the CPU Warning Temperature and
the CPU Fan Fail Warning were both disabled. Please indicate to me any
reasons why a seller of computers would want to disable these warnings

They often default to disabled.

Shouldn't the builder enable them before delivering the machine?

Really depends on the system. Some will shut down auto on over temp.

and remove the cooling fan from the slide-out cage containing a HDD.

It may not have ever had the fan fitted, the cheapest version often doesnt.

According to the builder, he removed the fan.

See the other post.

What action do you advise me to take?

Measure the SMART temperature of the drive using Everest
and get a new removable drive carrier with a decent fan if
the temperature is higher than 45 C in the summer.

The replacement drive will go into the case and not into a slide-out
cage. I've already got Everest, but I have to rebuild my system first.

Still worth checking the drive temp after you've done that.

The CMOS Setup Utility shows the following values:

Current System Temperature 40 C
Current CPU Temperature 64 C
Current CPU Fan Speed 3240 RPM

Are these values normal?

Yes, with an Intel Prescott cpu or an AMD.

My CPU is an AMD XP2600+ (2.08 MGHz).

Yeah, they do run on the warm side, so thats normal.

Your guidance to this non-technical computer user would be much appreciated.

Old August 15th 05, 03:42 PM
Matt Silberstein

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 20:45:35 +1000, in
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage , "Rod Speed"
in wrote:

Andy wrote

To All Cognoscenti,

I'm still not a wog.

[...]

I have a Dell Optiplex 270, small form factor, and Everest does not
give me any temperature readings, not for the drive, not under sensor.
Am I doing something wrong here?

--
Matt Silberstein

Well ya see, Norm, it's like this. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

Cliff on Cheers
Old August 15th 05, 07:51 PM
Rod Speed

Matt Silberstein wrote:
On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 20:45:35 +1000, in
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage , "Rod Speed"
in wrote:

Andy wrote

To All Cognoscenti,

I'm still not a wog.

[...]

Nar, most likely you have one of the drives that was very late to have
the drive temperature in the SMART data. The most common drives
like that were the WDs, WD was very later with drive temperature in
the SMART data, last of the mainstream drive manufacturers.

Old August 15th 05, 09:13 PM
Matt Silberstein

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 04:51:08 +1000, in
in wrote:

Matt Silberstein wrote:
On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 20:45:35 +1000, in
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage , "Rod Speed"
in wrote:

Andy wrote

To All Cognoscenti,

I'm still not a wog.

[...]