Speaker stopped working

Old December 5th 10, 10:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mint

Default Speaker stopped working

I took off the front piece of my computer that has the 2 USB ports
and
3 RCA style jacks in order to clean out the contacts.

Now my speaker isn't working anymore.
(I think I connected something wrong.)

Compaq Presario SR1303WM Desktop

I could not find a picture of how it is supposed to be wired up.

Thanks,
Andy
Old December 5th 10, 05:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Patrick[_5_]

Mint wrote:
I took off the front piece of my computer that has the 2 USB ports
and
3 RCA style jacks in order to clean out the contacts.

Now my speaker isn't working anymore.
(I think I connected something wrong.)

Compaq Presario SR1303WM Desktop

I could not find a picture of how it is supposed to be wired up.

Thanks,
Andy

Compaq Presario SR1303WM Desktop

I read he http://www.fixya.com/support/t6995663-wanting_upgrade
That the MoBo in the 'Compaq Presario SR1303WM' is an 'Asus A7V8X-LA'

On this HP page are some details of said 'MoBo'
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId =424233&prodTypeId=12454&objectID=c00069442
or if link broken then use: http://preview.tinyurl.com/3a3xa2n

If/when you goto said page, then click on "Motherboard layout and photos"

Now see the bottom-centre of diagram where it says "FRONT AUDIO'

You should have two plugs (Left & Right Audio ) containing two wires each,
coming from your front panel (audio).
These two plugs should be connected (by my understanding), one (plug) each
side of the VACANT pin on 'FRONT AUDIO'

Thus;
_ _
.. .|.| |.|
.. .|.|.|.|

By the way, did you dissconnect the wires from the front-facia or/and from
the Mobo?

Old December 5th 10, 05:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Patrick[_5_]

Patrick wrote:
Mint wrote:
[...]

. .|.| |.|
. .|.|.|.|

By the way, did you dissconnect the wires from the front-facia or/and
from the Mobo?

PS. if said pins on 'FRONT AUDIO' are not connected to the front panel
(audio), then they need to be 'jumpered' instead so that the built-in audio
sockets on the rear will work.

Old December 5th 10, 06:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mint

On Dec 5, 11:16*am, "Patrick" a.b@invalid wrote:
Mint wrote:
[...]

* *_ _
. .|.| |.|
. .|.|.|.|

By the way, did you dissconnect the wires from the front-facia or/and from
the Mobo?

There is no way to disconnect from the front, it's sealed.

It looks like everything is connected right.

One of the connections, is the kind I really like.

It go in 2 ways. :-)

Maybe I connected it the wrong way on the first try and it went nite-
nite.

Can I buy a cheap soundcard and get my "tunes" back.

Andy

Old December 5th 10, 06:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mint

On Dec 5, 11:23*am, "Patrick" a.b@invalid wrote:
Patrick wrote:
Mint wrote:
[...]

* _ _
. .|.| |.|
. .|.|.|.|

By the way, did you dissconnect the wires from the front-facia or/and
from the Mobo?

PS. if said pins on 'FRONT AUDIO' are not connected to the front panel
(audio), then they need to be 'jumpered' instead so that the built-in audio
sockets on the rear will work.

With everything connected,
I plugged in the speakers to the front green plug, but still no sound.

Andy
Old December 5th 10, 07:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mint

Patrick wrote:
Mint wrote:
[...]

Everything is working now.

I think the line out isn't for running speakers.

Maybe headphones?

Andy
Old December 5th 10, 08:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Patrick[_5_]

Mint wrote:
I took off the front piece of my computer that has the 2 USB ports
and
3 RCA style jacks in order to clean out the contacts.

Now my speaker isn't working anymore.
(I think I connected something wrong.)

Compaq Presario SR1303WM Desktop

I could not find a picture of how it is supposed to be wired up.

Thanks,
Andy

(repeated)
I read he http://www.fixya.com/support/t6995663-wanting_upgrade
That the MoBo in the 'Compaq Presario SR1303WM' is an 'Asus A7V8X-LA'

If this *is* the correct Motherboard that is in the machine, then here is a
*.PDF Manual for the MoBo:
http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/OEM/HP/...et2_manual.pdf

Old December 5th 10, 08:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Patrick wrote:
Mint wrote:
[...]

32 ohm headphones is probably the heaviest load you can use on Lineout.
The jack is not intended for "raw speakers". Either amplified speakers
(which are usually 10K ohm input impedance) or headphones.

Unamplified speakers are lower impedances and need more power. You
can find speakers in the 8 ohm or 4 ohm variety, and those wouldn't put
out much sound at all, if connected to Lineout direcrly.

Paul
Old December 5th 10, 09:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Patrick[_5_]

Patrick wrote:
Mint wrote:
[...]

You mentioned 'RCA style jacks', is this the type:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSiURHi0l2j2Htzu-gJaMFq3kxFhALrSTb6POQukMpe-0FgclMX

If above, then said is wrong type for Line-out socket of PC

This is the type usually used for the 'Line-Out' Socket on PC's, such as
what would be on a pair of Headphones
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDeE5-hKlxeKyVVgcclHp2NoZcKp33VG4GG1RRwEaHrotTvYnDSZ3LER 9m

To use this with other than with headphones requires '(Powered) PC
speakers'.

Old December 6th 10, 01:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mint

Patrick wrote:
Mint wrote:
[...]

I made a mistake, they are the mini plug type.

I will only use them with headphones to be on the safe side.

Andy