AMD compared to Intel

Old November 3rd 03, 08:51 PM
J.Clarke

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 22:15:45 -0000
"rstlne" .@. wrote:

"J.Clarke" wrote in message
On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 14:40:18 GMT
"Buffalo" wrote:

Please learn how to read and comprehend what is written.
AMD is also going to use that 'fail-safe' system, so it isn't just
Intel bs.

Sorry but the fact that one company matches another company's
features doesn't mean that there is any need for those features,
just that they want to shut up brain-dead advocates who make a big
deal about them.

Your both being a bit bitch about it lol..
I look at these features more as "Motherboard" features than "Chip"
features..
the p4 doesnt slow down on it's own (I dont belive) it's regulated
onboard the motherboard and that's what shuts it down (right or
wrong?)..

The P4 does slow down on its own--download the datasheets from
http://www.intel.com/design/Pentium4...iid=ipp_dlc_pr
ocp4p+prod_datasheet& and look in section 6.3, which explains how this
works.

In addition at 135C the P4 stops its clocks completely and shuts
down--that's a separate function from the TCC.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old November 3rd 03, 10:15 PM
rstlne

Old November 6th 03, 03:59 PM
BF

SET YOUR CLOCK WHILE YOU ARE AT IT.

"Richard" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

I have always bought Intel before but now that AMD is at least as
powerful that Intel but at a better price, I am thinking about getting

AMD.
Now I wonder, is there things that Intel can do that cannot be done with
AMD? Is there a difference in the quality of Intel and AMD? Does AMD

work
with every computer components such as different makes such as all kinds

of
graphic cards? Does it can run any kind of softwares just as Intel?

Thanks,

Richard

Old November 6th 03, 05:16 PM
Richard

Sorry about the clock. I do not know what happened to it. I corrected it
when I saw the mistake.

Richard

"BF" a écrit dans le message de
.. .
SET YOUR CLOCK WHILE YOU ARE AT IT.

.. .

Old November 8th 03, 02:37 PM
Bruin

"-= Ratz O. Fratzo =-" wrote in message
On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 20:22:06 -0000, "rstlne" .@. wrote:

Look
Your a ****ing nobhead, Aight, If you aint ever heard of it or seen it,

it
doesnt mean it's true.
google it yourself

It's an urban legend that was started because of the pseudo science
mass marketed to everyone by Tom's Hardware. Heatsinks don't just
fall off while people are using their computers.

If you treat your computer like UPS treats packages, yes there's a
possibility that it could happen. But only ****ing nobheads treat
they're computer like that, right? You are just as likely to break
other things in the box like drives.

Do the tabs on the ZIF socket break? Yes, we've all seen them or seen
pictures or read of experiences. But any I've read of broke when the
user was installing or uninstalling the heatsink, not while they were
playing Quake 3.

As another poster said, it's not even worth mentioning that AMD
doesn't build in protection against a circumstance will likely never
occur to the vast majority of users, especially if they install and
remove heatsinks correctly.

Can the gas tank of your automobile rupture and explode like a box of
dynamite in a rear end collision? Yes, I suppose it's technically
possible. Will it happen? Likely not. Will you stop driving or
riding in cars because of this possibility and ride a bicycle instead?
Probably not. So let's put an end to the sizzling CPU urban legend.
You are much more likely to experience a fan failure than you are ever
to experience your heatsink falling off. In that event, you still
have passive cooling. Your computer's likely to ring alarms and or
lockup, causing you to investigate the cause of the problem. And
while we're drawing analogies to automobiles?

How many miles does the typical person get out of an automobile before
the engine goes tits up? How many years for the typical CPU? Keeping
in mind the cost of a replacement CPU and or motherboard, is this
really an issue? If my CPU turned into burnt toast and took the mobo
with it tomorrow, I could get a CPU twice as fast for $90 and a better
mobo for $80. I'd call that cause for celebration because I'd have an
excuse to spend the money, finally getting a faster computer.

And to the spelling police, im sarry i insighted such raje in you by
mispeling syte. ill nver doit agen.
*´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·- Ratz O. Fratzo

HELL YEA

Thanks for the post, I don't have to compose one now. I have to put up with
people saying "Don't get AMD chips, they can burn up!" thanks to Thomas
Pabst.

Old November 8th 03, 02:49 PM
Bruin

"rstlne" .@. wrote in message

"-= Ratz O. Fratzo =-" wrote in message
On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 11:49:20 -0000, "rstlne" .@. wrote:

The clips can break and it can fall off..
Granted for most users this doesnt apply as they dont move their

computer
around the world

Can you site a single instance of this happening?

Several

Cite one, JUST ONE case where a HS fell off & the CPU burned up. I am
sure that the lugs break during installation, but while in USE?

I once melted a lug... =) I think I pushed it a hair faster then I
should have. That was a Cyrix chip BTW, a long time ago.

To the original poster..... as far as I know, all current motherboards for
AMDs will not boot
at all unless there is a heat sink fan (working) plugged into the CPU fan
header. Plus most have fail-safe shut down settings in the BIOS if the
temps rise above a certain point.

Old November 8th 03, 02:58 PM
Bruin

Like the fan stops turning..

No, my old VIA 266A board won't start unless there is a "working" fan
plugged in to the header. It's gotta be spinnin!

Old November 12th 03, 05:58 AM
Buffalo

"J.Clarke" wrote in message
On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 14:40:21 GMT
"Buffalo" wrote:

Please learn how to read and comprehend what is written.
AMD is also going to use that 'fail-safe' system, so it isn't just
Intel bs. Go and try to impress someone else with your bias's and
info. Bye

Got you repeating yourself. As Hannibal Lecter would say "goody-goody".
Now where did I put the fava beans?

Geez, what a dip you sound like.

Old November 12th 03, 07:33 AM
J.Clarke

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 05:58:25 GMT
"Buffalo" wrote:

"J.Clarke" wrote in message
On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 14:40:21 GMT
"Buffalo" wrote:

Please learn how to read and comprehend what is written.
AMD is also going to use that 'fail-safe' system, so it isn't just
Intel bs. Go and try to impress someone else with your bias's and
info. Bye

Got you repeating yourself. As Hannibal Lecter would say
"goody-goody".
Now where did I put the fava beans?

Geez, what a dip you sound like.

If that's all that you have to contribute, then you have nothing to say
that is worth hearing.

Intel, AMD... Mirko General 11 November 22nd 04 07:17 AM
Ghost speed differerent in AMD & Intel Zotin Khuma General 7 November 17th 04 06:56 AM
intel board, fans on during standby. intel d875PBZ. JohnJ General 0 January 13th 04 05:14 PM
Desperately need help installing OS with RAID on an Intel mobo Nate General 10 January 1st 04 07:17 PM
WD360 + Intel 875PBZ + XP Problem @drian General 0 November 6th 03 11:10 AM