Modem Problems

Old January 31st 04, 01:06 PM
JH

Default Modem Problems

Hope someone can help me. I have already posted previously wrt. this
problem. I will describe it again:

I have a (now relatively) new computer which initially had some problems and
the HD and graphics card had to be replaced. Installed a PCI modem which at
location A works perfectly well. It dials out and connects at a resonable
speed. So no problems. Brought the computer to location B and as soon as I
attached the modem to the phone line I noticed listening to the dial tone
that it was less audible (fyi no ADSL on this line). When trying to dial out
the modem does not detect the dial tone. When telling it to blind dial I can
hear it dial but the dial tone remains. So it never gets a connection. I
have tried 2 different modems at this location. The first had the same
problem as just described, the second seemed to work but after about a month
the phones went dead and the telco people had to replace one of the sockets.
They said it was the computer which caused the problem. No more info than
that. I have tried a different phone cord, also tried unhooking all other
phones to see if the latest modem will dial. The computer is properly
grounded. Haven't tried it at a different power outlet. Checked inside the
computer to see if any of the wiring from the PSU is damaged or touching the
casing. No problems as far as I can tell.

What could be causing this computer to work perfectly well at location A but
not at location B regarding the modem? The only difference is that there is
another monitor / speakers / printer attached at location B. Telephone lines
should work the same, shouldn't they? It's in a relatively new building so I
assume the phone lines are in good condition. The dial tone when the modem
is not attached seems good, no crackling noises or indication that the line
is in bad condition.

Thanks in advance.

Old February 1st 04, 09:37 PM
notritenotteri

Phone companies never have equipment problems that's why they have to
employ technicians as a sacrifice to prevent problems not to repair
them. Just because a building is new or newest means squat.
normally when a phone system is installed only some of the lines are
tested. Cozy up to the phone company and explain to them that its
their problem. If the system works at location A but not at B the
only difference is the location so its the problem.

Old February 1st 04, 11:40 PM
CBFalconer

JH wrote:

I have a (now relatively) new computer which initially had some
problems and the HD and graphics card had to be replaced.
Installed a PCI modem which at location A works perfectly well.
It dials out and connects at a resonable speed. So no problems.
Brought the computer to location B and as soon as I attached
the modem to the phone line I noticed listening to the dial tone
that it was less audible (fyi no ADSL on this line). When trying
to dial out the modem does not detect the dial tone. When
telling it to blind dial I can hear it dial but the dial tone
remains. So it never gets a connection. .... snip ....

A bad connection. Look to the various sockets and cables etc.
Also see what happens if you make the modem pulse dial (use ATDP
in place of ATDT). If you plug a standard telephone into the line
and tone dial, does it work?

You should see about 60 V (at least 20) across the line when
disconnected (on hook). When off hook the line voltage should go
down to under 5, usually under 2, and the line current should be
at least 20 mA, often 60 mA.

--
Chuck F ) )
http://cbfalconer.home.att.net USE worldnet address!

Old February 2nd 04, 12:17 PM
JH

"Trent©" wrote in message
On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 13:06:49 -0000, "JH"
wrote:

I have a (now relatively) new computer which initially had some problems

and
the HD and graphics card had to be replaced. Installed a PCI modem which

at
location A works perfectly well. It dials out and connects at a resonable
speed. So no problems. Brought the computer to location B and as soon as

attached the modem to the phone line I noticed listening to the dial tone
that it was less audible (fyi no ADSL on this line). When trying to dial

out
the modem does not detect the dial tone.

Do you have the phone and the phone line plugged into the proper ports
on the modem? Make sure you don't have them reversed.

Yes, phone is plugged into the proper port.

When telling it to blind dial I can
hear it dial but the dial tone remains.

What is a 'blind dial'? Whatever it is, I don't understand what yer
sayin'. You just said you get a 'no dial tone' error? If so, it
shouldn't be able to dial...no matter HOW you dial it out.

With "blind dial" I mean not wait for the dial tone before dialling. At
this location they have voice mail on the line so the dial tone is not what
the modem expects. This is a voicemail system that is set up by the
telephone company from their end. I have tried this at another house with
the same voicemail system on the line and it works there when telling it to
not wait for the dial tone. At the house with the problem when telling the
modem to "not wait for dial tone" it dials (as expected) but the phone is
not picked up (don't know the correct term) i.e. I can still hear the dial
tone.

Sorry about not mentioning the voicemail. Lots of phones here have it on the
line (Portugal) and it's not a problem as long as you tell the modem to not
wait for a dial tone.

The important thing to note, though, is that independent of the modem
dialling out or not, as soon as its plugged into the line, the dial tone and
voice conversations, when listening from a phone, are less audible. Could it
be due to static electricity building up on the line from the computer? I'm
only guessing here.

So it never gets a connection.

FORGET about the connection...at least for now. Are you gettin' a 'no
dial tone' error...all the time? Or aren't you.

I am getting a no dial tone error when I tell the modem to wait for the dial
tone. This is normal as they have the voice mail I mentioned. If "do not
wait for dial tone" is selected it dials but nothing happens. I think whats
important to note is that when this modem is connected to the line, the
quality is affected i.e. the dial tone is less audible and voice
conversations are also less audible. So something in the computer is drawing
too much power into / out of the phone line?? How can I go about determining
what that could be? And this has happened with 2 different modems so odds
are the modem is not faulty.

have tried 2 different modems at this location. The first had the same
problem as just described, the second seemed to work but after about a

month
the phones went dead and the telco people had to replace one of the

sockets.
They said it was the computer which caused the problem. No more info than
that. I have tried a different phone cord, also tried unhooking all other
phones to see if the latest modem will dial. The computer is properly
grounded. Haven't tried it at a different power outlet. Checked inside

the
computer to see if any of the wiring from the PSU is damaged or touching

the
casing. No problems as far as I can tell.

As I said before...if you have DSL at any of the locations...and you
want to DIAL with a modem...you MUST have a splitter in the phone
jack...supplied by your DSL provider...and the modem MUST be plugged
into the PHONE side...for a dial-up connection.

At the House (sorry if I confused you about the location A B business, they
are different houses) where the problem is there is No ADSL on the line. At
the house with no problems I have ADSL but the splitter/filter is right at
the beginning where the line comes into the house. It was set-up by the
provider. In any case there is no problem with the modem dialling at this
house.

What could be causing this computer to work perfectly well at location A

but
not at location B regarding the modem? The only difference is that there

is
another monitor / speakers / printer attached at location B.

Again...you DID say...correct?...that one of the locations has DSL.

Yes, but the one with DSL has no problems with the modem dialling.

Telephone lines
should work the same, shouldn't they? It's in a relatively new building

so I
assume the phone lines are in good condition.

Is this a commercial building?...or is it a residential building? If
its a commercial building...will any kind of rollover on the
phones...this will not work at expected. More than likely, you'll
need to have yer modem connected to the primary line for it to be able
to dial out.

This is a residential building. I now have another computer temporarily at
the location and the modem is dialling out normally.

Hope you can steer me in the right direction here. Sorry if my explanations
were not that clear.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Old February 2nd 04, 04:42 PM
kony

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 12:17:39 -0000, "JH"
wrote:

With "blind dial" I mean not wait for the dial tone before dialling. At
this location they have voice mail on the line so the dial tone is not what
the modem expects. This is a voicemail system that is set up by the
telephone company from their end. I have tried this at another house with
the same voicemail system on the line and it works there when telling it to
not wait for the dial tone. At the house with the problem when telling the
modem to "not wait for dial tone" it dials (as expected) but the phone is
not picked up (don't know the correct term) i.e. I can still hear the dial
tone.

Sorry about not mentioning the voicemail. Lots of phones here have it on the
line (Portugal) and it's not a problem as long as you tell the modem to not
wait for a dial tone.

Is it possible you need to input a key sequence to access an outside
line when dialing, that you haven't set the modem to do this?

The important thing to note, though, is that independent of the modem
dialling out or not, as soon as its plugged into the line, the dial tone and
voice conversations, when listening from a phone, are less audible. Could it
be due to static electricity building up on the line from the computer? I'm
only guessing here.

For the time being I wouldn't worry about that, it may simply be that
the modem is a winmodem that derives some power from the telephone
line. I don't have any futher details about that, but vaguely recall
reading it in specs of some PCTel chipset.

I am getting a no dial tone error when I tell the modem to wait for the dial
tone. This is normal as they have the voice mail I mentioned. If "do not
wait for dial tone" is selected it dials but nothing happens.

Let's simplify the dialing concept...

When a call is to be initiated by the modem, it flips a relay,
mechanical or solid-state version, then generates the tones or pulses
the line. If a standard telephone can be plugged into the phone
system and works, the modem should attempt to duplicate it's function.

Is a normal phone using pulse or tone dialing? Is the modem set up to
use same method?

Is a normal phone required to use a certain procedure to access an
outside line? Is this duplicated by the modem?

If you keep all phones "hung up", unused, and first try initiating a
dialing sequence with the modem, and THEN pick up a telephone receiver
to listen, what do you hear? How does that differ from what you would
hear if dialing out with one of those telephones?

Old February 2nd 04, 07:46 PM
JH

news
wrote:

Sorry about not mentioning the voicemail. Lots of phones here have it on

the
line (Portugal) and it's not a problem as long as you tell the modem to

not
wait for a dial tone.

Is it possible you need to input a key sequence to access an outside
line when dialing, that you haven't set the modem to do this?

You mean like 0,? Dialling is done normally without needing to access an
outside line. If I try dialling the provider from a phone I get through ok.

For the time being I wouldn't worry about that, it may simply be that
the modem is a winmodem that derives some power from the telephone
line. I don't have any futher details about that, but vaguely recall
reading it in specs of some PCTel chipset.

That doesn't explain why it works well at another location. Also it doesn't
work when all phones are disconnected from the line. It shouldn't take that
much power from the line.

Let's simplify the dialing concept...

When a call is to be initiated by the modem, it flips a relay,
mechanical or solid-state version, then generates the tones or pulses
the line. If a standard telephone can be plugged into the phone
system and works, the modem should attempt to duplicate it's function.

Is a normal phone using pulse or tone dialing? Is the modem set up to
use same method?

Normal phone uses tone and modem is set up to use tone as well.

Is a normal phone required to use a certain procedure to access an
outside line? Is this duplicated by the modem?

No procedure is necessary. It's a standard analog line with direct access.

If you keep all phones "hung up", unused, and first try initiating a
dialing sequence with the modem, and THEN pick up a telephone receiver
to listen, what do you hear? How does that differ from what you would
hear if dialing out with one of those telephones?

When initiating with modem it dials the number but in the background I can
still hear the dial tone. When its finished dialling all that remains is the
dial tone. When done from the phone it does as expected. The number is
dialled (tone dialling) and the other side picks up.

I think it may have something to do with what you mentioned about winmodems
pulling power from the line. As I mentioned in my intial post there was a
modem which worked normally for some time until the phones went dead. I
couldn't tell you if its a winmodem or not. Its a Conceptronic 56PM. What
I'm using now (which has the problems) is a Q-Tec 561MI 56K PCI modem with
Intel chipset. Also another which gives the same problem is a Conceptronic
C56PMI. But even though its a Winmodem it shouldn't take that much power
from the line. And if they both work normally at another location, why not
at this particular location.

modem destroys telephone line JH General 5 January 25th 04 02:23 AM
Modem - dial tone broken up, but voice ok Zardoz General 1 January 5th 04 02:06 AM
Modem problems. jeremy General 6 November 27th 03 01:21 AM
Split Cable Modem Line For TV Tuner? *Vanguard* General 3 November 23rd 03 11:14 PM
Dial up modem problem Richard Freeman General 21 September 22nd 03 05:50 AM