Do CPUs ever fail?

Old October 7th 04, 06:14 AM
P T

Default Do CPUs ever fail?

It seems to me that processors and memory sticks should almost never
die.
Has anyone had failure among these sort of components?
Pete

Old October 7th 04, 06:35 AM
David Maynard

P T wrote:

It seems to me that processors and memory sticks should almost never
die.
Has anyone had failure among these sort of components?
Pete

All electronic devices die, eventually. It's just a matter of how long
'eventually' is.

Old October 7th 04, 06:50 AM
BigJIm

they can go bad if you get a power spike or static
but if everything is running well they should last a long time
oh yea overclocking will shorten their life

Old October 7th 04, 07:44 AM
Raymond

Same here! I've never had an Intel CPU fail here,
not even after 6 years of overclocking
three Intels. I've been using Intel CPUs
very heavily for about 14 years. I've also never
had a dead memory stick, nor motherboard, nor
video card.

The two components most notorious
for failing are power supplies and hard
drives. Recently I read a report that said about
68% of component failures are of HDs and PSUs.
My personal experience certainly bears that out -
two HD and one PSU failure in 14 years, plus
another PSU failure at work. The only other
notables are monitor and mouse. My oldest
running monitor (NEC) died after 7 years of daily use,
oldest mouse (Logitech), after 5 years of heavy use.
Durability of both of these seems much improved in the
last 14 years.

Old October 7th 04, 08:01 AM
Raymond

"Raymond" wrote in message news:tB59d.8390$Sl2.2179@trnddc09...
Same here! I've never had an Intel CPU fail here,
not even after 6 years of overclocking
three Intels. I've been using Intel CPUs
very heavily for about 14 years. I've also never
had a dead memory stick, nor motherboard, nor
video card.

The two components most notorious
for failing are power supplies and hard
drives. Recently I read a report that said about
68% of component failures are of HDs and PSUs.
My personal experience certainly bears that out -
two HD and one PSU failure in 14 years, plus
another PSU failure at work. The only other
notables are monitor and mouse. My oldest
running monitor (NEC) died after 7 years of daily use,
oldest mouse (Logitech), after 5 years of heavy use.
Durability of both of these seems much improved in the
last 14 years.

Also for the record, oldest floppy drive died after 9 years
of moderate use, and one early generation CD-ROM
died after less than two years of heavy use - no CD or DVD
ROM failures since. They don't make them like they used
to, thank goodness! g

Old October 7th 04, 09:54 AM
spodosaurus

P T wrote:
It seems to me that processors and memory sticks should almost never
die.
Has anyone had failure among these sort of components?
Pete

yes. several times over the years. From a sample size of hundreds of
computers.

Old October 7th 04, 05:43 PM
Dave C.

Awww ****, now ya dunnit. -Dave

Old October 7th 04, 07:05 PM
Papa

For a CPU, the worst enemy is heat, and too much of it can ruin a CPU in
milliseconds. That's why all modern CPUs (at least all I have heard of) use
a heat sink/ fan combo mounted on top of the CPU. Don't forget to apply
(sparingly) the heat transfer paste.

The most common problem with memory sticks is using the wrong one. Just
because it fits the slot does not mean it is appropriate. Check the specs
carefully, and make sure there is not a mismatch between 2 or more of your
RAM chips. The best bet is to use exactly the same brand and type for all of
them, and, of course, be within specs.

Old October 8th 04, 05:35 PM
Cari

"P T" wrote in message
It seems to me that processors and memory sticks should almost never
die.
Has anyone had failure among these sort of components?
Pete

I've never had RAM fail but I have had the CPU on my husband's PC (AMD
Athlon XP 2200+) fail. I had purchased it from Frys about 5 months earlier
and they replaced it on the spot.
www.coribright.com

Old October 11th 04, 01:36 PM
Ed Coolidge

I've seen just about everything die or fail, including CPU, memory, mainboard,
you name it. I would say however that is far less common than others such as
hard drives and fans.