Power Supply Failure symptoms?

Old October 6th 04, 01:40 AM
Michael

Default Power Supply Failure symptoms?

I have a 350W power supply and I was wondering what would make my
computer Restart when I tried to play a game like Unreal 2004? I have
a Geforce FX 5200 128MB graphics card in case anyone wants to know.
Old October 6th 04, 12:10 PM
Jan Alter

A system crash while running one specific program is an indication of memory
needed by the OS being usurped or stolen by that program, not a faulty power
supply in most cases. It could also be caused by not having enough RAM to
run the program as well. .

--
Jan Alter

or

om...

Old October 6th 04, 03:43 PM
Mac Cool

Michael:

I was wondering what would make my
computer Restart when I tried to play a game like Unreal 2004?

Does it happen with all 3D games, or just UT2k4?

Does it restart when running Prime95 in torture mode?
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm
--
Mac Cool
Old October 6th 04, 09:22 PM
Dave C.

"Michael" wrote in message
om...
I have a 350W power supply and I was wondering what would make my
computer Restart when I tried to play a game like Unreal 2004? I have
a Geforce FX 5200 128MB graphics card in case anyone wants to know.

It could be many things. Power supply is on the list. First try
reinstalling DirectX driver and video card drivers. It could very well be a
bad video driver. It could also be a bad video card or a bad motherboard,
or even a loose video card. If you have another video card to test with,
that could eliminate a couple of possibilities. -Dave

Old October 7th 04, 08:28 AM
w_tom

If this is an NT based OS, then list of reasons for a
restart become significantly shorter. However that list
includes power supply, video card, sound card, software
drivers for those hardware peripherals, and RAM. Power supply
as reasons for restart is easily eliminated by testing with a
3.5 digit multimeter. Furthermore, the multimeter can be used
to calibrate an on-board voltage monitor.

What does the event (system) log report? If the computer
comes from a responsible manufacturer, then download and
execute those comprehensive diagnostics. Make those
diagnostics effective by learning from an adjacent thread
entitled "Burn-in? What's it all about anyway?"

Old October 13th 04, 03:00 AM
gust

I have a 350W power supply and I was wondering what would make my
computer Restart when I tried to play a game like Unreal 2004? I have
a Geforce FX 5200 128MB graphics card in case anyone wants to know.

unplug yer machine

open er up and unplug everything from the motherboard and put on piece of
clean cardboard .. everything .. unplug everything including memory (well
you can leave the CPU alone .. don't bother with that)

with care .. remove any crap, dust, crud you see inside .. including fans
and vents crud

go into another room and do something .... get a drink - walk the dog etc

come back to the computer and put it all back together

fire it up ......... if it still has the restart problem try the rest of
the advice in this thread ........ good luck