Power supply failure

Old May 15th 04, 04:39 PM
ME

Default Power supply failure

Hello group,
I hope this is the right place to ask this. I need some info from
others. Anyone had a new (30 day's or so) power supply fail during use and
the supplier will only replace the supply not the drives that don't work
now? They say they aren't responsible for the damage to contact the
manufacturer.
ME

Old May 15th 04, 05:45 PM
Dave C.

"ME" wrote in message
Hello group,
I hope this is the right place to ask this. I need some info from
others. Anyone had a new (30 day's or so) power supply fail during use and
the supplier will only replace the supply not the drives that don't work
now? They say they aren't responsible for the damage to contact the
manufacturer.
ME

That makes perfect sense. If the power supply failed, that is the
manufacturer's problem. If the supplier is nice enough to replace the power
supply for you, you should be glad that they will do that much, at least.
But it might be better to buy a new power supply WITHOUT sending your
current power supply back to the supplier. If your power supply damaged
your hard drives, whoever manufactured the power supply should be
responsible for replacing your hard drives. I don't know if the hard drive
manufacturer will do that or not, but they definitely won't do it before
being offered proof that the power supply is defective. If you've already
sent the defective power supply back to the supplier, what kind of proof can
you offer to the manufacturer that their power supply is defective? -Dave

Old May 15th 04, 06:08 PM
ME

"Dave C." wrote in message

"ME" wrote in message
Hello group,
I hope this is the right place to ask this. I need some info from
others. Anyone had a new (30 day's or so) power supply fail during use

and
the supplier will only replace the supply not the drives that don't work
now? They say they aren't responsible for the damage to contact the
manufacturer.
ME

That makes perfect sense. If the power supply failed, that is the
manufacturer's problem. If the supplier is nice enough to replace the

power
supply for you, you should be glad that they will do that much, at least.

Replacing the power supply is a simple matter of warrenty. My issue is the
hdd/dvd player (they were on the same power line) and video card that does
not work or is have problems now that were not there before the failure.
Example, Friday night I watched Xmen 2 with the dvd player. Tuesday I
hooked it back to the PIII system (it has worked on for about 5 years) and
it locks up during playback and has read error's in diagnostic's. The 40 GB
hdd, has 8GB of bad crc files on it and SMART drive say's it's "imenant
failure" on bootup. It was a backup drive on the system that had the power
supply failure. The Vidoe card, works but in XP Pro device manager it say's
it cant get info from the "cds" about the display card. It wont run Far Cry
now keeps failing with a message that the program has stopped becasue it's
not getting a signal from the vidoe card. When I first was able to get the
P4 back up Thursday afternoon I had to re do the bios (thanks to Asus for
the crash free bios) as it was currupted.
I'm not looking for a new system here. Just about $200.00 in parts
replaced that worked before the failure but dont now. I'm not asking for top
of the line stuff or for anything for my time or effort's such as testing
and the like.

But it might be better to buy a new power supply WITHOUT sending your
current power supply back to the supplier.

The supplier did not ask for and after three emails refering to it's return,
now wont get the power supply back. I've saved it and will see about having
it checked out.

If your power supply damaged
your hard drives, whoever manufactured the power supply should be
responsible for replacing your hard drives.

The manufaturer or the supplier of the supply?

I don't know if the hard drive
manufacturer will do that or not, but they definitely won't do it before
being offered proof that the power supply is defective.

Maxtor and WD say the failure was an external so they wont replace anything.
Asus said the same but I was able to get the board working and it has passed
all diagnostic's I've thrown at it for the past week so I'm hoping I'm ok
with it.Also the memory and CPU have tested ok. I dont know why the video is
messing up so much. Unless it's more sensative to the 3.3/1.5 line and they
surged on the failure..

If you've already
sent the defective power supply back to the supplier, what kind of proof

can
you offer to the manufacturer that their power supply is defective? -Dave

Well, it sit's next to my desk in it's original box with it's receipt
waiting for the next step.
ME

Old May 15th 04, 07:40 PM
Dave C.

Replacing the power supply is a simple matter of warrenty. My issue is the
hdd/dvd player (they were on the same power line) and video card that does
not work or is have problems now that were not there before the failure.
Example, Friday night I watched Xmen 2 with the dvd player. Tuesday I
hooked it back to the PIII system (it has worked on for about 5 years) and
it locks up during playback and has read error's in diagnostic's. The 40

GB
hdd, has 8GB of bad crc files on it and SMART drive say's it's "imenant
failure" on bootup.

Yes, I understand exactly what you are saying. Let's say the defective
power supply is enermax brand. (not that it is, but let's say it is) In
the same way, let's say your hard drive is maxtor brand your video card is
evga brand. You bought all of this stuff from a retail store called XYZ
Bytes in anywhere, USA.

Your power supply dies, taking your hard drive and video card with it.
Enermax should be responsible for replacing your maxtor hard drive and your
evga video card.

IF XYZ Bytes says they will exhange your defective Enermax power supply for
you, great. But before you do that, you need to contact Enermax about the
maxtor hard drive and evga video card that were damaged. If you can
convince Enermax to replace those components for you, Enermax will probably
want you to send your defective Enermax power supply to Enermax first.

You have no beef with XYZ. In fact, you should not pursue this matter
through XYZ at all, as you will likely screw yourself if you do. As a last
resort, take XYZ up on their offer to exchange the power supply for you.
But first try to get Enermax to replace all the bad components, as this is
Enermax's problem. That is, assuming your power supply was Enermax brand.
-Dave

Old May 15th 04, 08:23 PM
ME

Having worked with attorney's many times over the years I disagree with this
"tough luck". I was very careful to check both the original invoice, package
contents and the company's website for any such statement and there isn't
one. I've also printed off all and will save them. They have said they have
a warrenty on the product to address but feel it stop's at the power supply
only. The issue here is, as I understand it so far, there is no other
responcable party to address this to. Maybe I can find some similar case's.

"ric" wrote in message ...
"Dave C." wrote:

You have no beef with XYZ. In fact, you should not pursue this matter
through XYZ at all, as you will likely screw yourself if you do. As a

last
resort, take XYZ up on their offer to exchange the power supply for you.
But first try to get Enermax to replace all the bad components, as this

is
Enermax's problem. That is, assuming your power supply was Enermax

brand.

Even the best PSUs usually have the following, or similar, paragraph
in their warranty:

THIS WARRANTY IS IN LIEU OF ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED.
IN NO EVENT SHALL [xxx] BE LIABLE FOR DAMAGES FOR A BREACH OF WARRANTY
IN AN AMOUNT EXCEEDING THE PURCHASE PRICE OF THIS PRODUCT.

In other words, tough luck.

Old May 15th 04, 08:35 PM
ric

ME wrote:

I hope this is the right place to ask this. I need some info from
others. Anyone had a new (30 day's or so) power supply fail during use and
the supplier will only replace the supply not the drives that don't work
now? They say they aren't responsible for the damage to contact the
manufacturer.

The supplier is absolutely correct. Even the manufacturer's liability
is questionable.

Old May 15th 04, 09:33 PM
ME

"Dave C." wrote in message
Snip
Yes, I understand exactly what you are saying. Let's say the defective
power supply is enermax brand. (not that it is, but let's say it is) In
the same way, let's say your hard drive is maxtor brand your video card is
evga brand. You bought all of this stuff from a retail store called XYZ
Bytes in anywhere, USA.

Your power supply dies, taking your hard drive and video card with it.
Enermax should be responsible for replacing your maxtor hard drive and

your
evga video card.

YEs, I concure in this case I would say that either "enermax" (Actually it's
AG) or XYZ Bytes (NWCA.com) is responcable. All my dealing's were with XYZ
not enermax so I'm inclined to them. I did find this image. This is not the
company but this is the power supply I got.

http://us-depot.com/frshag520wad.html

IF XYZ Bytes says they will exhange your defective Enermax power supply

for
you, great. But before you do that, you need to contact Enermax about the
maxtor hard drive and evga video card that were damaged. If you can
convince Enermax to replace those components for you, Enermax will

probably
want you to send your defective Enermax power supply to Enermax first.

You have no beef with XYZ. In fact, you should not pursue this matter
through XYZ at all, as you will likely screw yourself if you do. As a

last
resort, take XYZ up on their offer to exchange the power supply for you.
But first try to get Enermax to replace all the bad components, as this is
Enermax's problem. That is, assuming your power supply was Enermax brand.
-Dave

Some good news, just doing some searching online and it turns out that
there's a Warranty act law that say's if they "claim" anything as
conditional under the warranty they have to claim it. Also it has to be
included in the written that they will only replace the part they have to
say so in the warranty. It's not as "ric" has said in his post. as they
warranty on the website doesn't say this, under the same law they do have
liability.
I have to read some more and print off some of this.
ME

Old May 15th 04, 10:32 PM
ME

w_tom" wrote in message
Overvoltage protection was defacto standard on power
supplies even 30 years ago.

Where did overvoltage protection come in this? The supply died.

It is a requirement in Intel
specifications. But importers have discovered a lucrative
market - computer assemblers who don't even know what a power
supply must do nor read those specs. Was that power supply
$40 retail?

NO, as the link shows they run only $19.95 plus S&H.

To sell at that price, it must 'forget' to
install many essential functions. Also forgets to provide any
specifications - any claim that it will provide essential
functions.

Yes, there arent much as far as spec's on the box, I did notice that right
away.

Damaged computer parts simply because purchase was made
without first verifying supply performed these and other
essential functions:
Specification compliance: ATX 2.03 & ATX12V v1.1
Acoustics noise 25.8dBA typical at 70w, 30cm
Short circuit protection on all outputs
Over voltage protection
Over power protection
100% hi-pot test
100% burn in, high temperature cycled on/off
PFC harmonics compliance: EN61000-3-2 + A1 + A2
EMI/RFI compliance: CE, CISPR22 & FCC part 15 class B
Safety compliance: VDE, TUV, D, N, S, Fi, UL, C-UL & CB
Hold up time, full load: 16ms. typical
Efficiency; 100-120VAC and full range: 65%
Dielectric withstand, input to frame/ground: 1800VAC, 1sec.
Dielectric withstand, input to output: 1800VAC, 1sec.
Ripple/noise: 1%
MTBF, full load @ 25°C amb.: 100k hrs

Where is the requirement that these must be tested before use?

In the legal system, you may have a case with a good
lawyer. But if I was on your jury, I would have to vote
against you.

Not much of a jurer if you are ready to "vote" without hearing the case or
seeing hardly any of the evidence.

Your power supply probably did exactly as it
claimed. It did what power supplies even 30 years ago did not
do. But this is what happens when a computer assembler does
not first learn basic technology or read manufacturer
specifications. Did he buy your supply on bean counter
principles - or did he built the system using engineering
principles? Where are the manufacturers long list of
specifications?

None of the above, I got it online based on my needs.

Old May 15th 04, 10:33 PM
ME

I didn't pay $16.00. Warranty is the same issue.

"Dave C." wrote in message
YEs, I concure in this case I would say that either "enermax" (Actually

it's
AG) or XYZ Bytes (NWCA.com) is responcable. All my dealing's were with

XYZ
not enermax so I'm inclined to them. I did find this image. This is not

the
company but this is the power supply I got.

http://us-depot.com/frshag520wad.html

$16 for a 520W power supply? Yikes. That's like $100 for a 20 carat
diamond. -Dave