win2k driver (or crack/converter) for ATI 4300 series vid card

Old January 28th 12, 04:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
John

Default win2k driver (or crack/converter) for ATI 4300 series vid card

I have a need to run Win2K on a newish box that has an "ATI Technologies
Mobility 4300 series" video card connected to an LCD monitor. I have an
application that was designed for NT4 but will also run on W2K, alas the
app won't even install on XP so I am stuck at 640x480 VGA in W2K ... not
too tasty on a 24" LCD.

As far as replacing the software with something more modern it would be
*way* cheaper to just build another comp or two or three so that isn't a
viable option at this point.

So far all I can find are XP, VISTA or W7 drivers. I had hopes that
someone may have hacked a driver or .INF file that will allow the ATI
installer to use an XP driver on Win2K. If it hoses W2K that's OK as I
installed it on a spare drive and can redo it easily enough.

Thanks for any leads,
John

Old January 31st 12, 08:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
oachkatzlschwoaf94

Am 28.01.2012 17:40, schrieb John:

I have a need to run Win2K on a newish box that has an "ATI Technologies
Mobility 4300 series" video card connected to an LCD monitor. I have an
application that was designed for NT4 but will also run on W2K, alas the
app won't even install on XP so I am stuck at 640x480 VGA in W2K ... not
too tasty on a 24" LCD.

As far as replacing the software with something more modern it would be
*way* cheaper to just build another comp or two or three so that isn't a
viable option at this point.

So far all I can find are XP, VISTA or W7 drivers. I had hopes that
someone may have hacked a driver or .INF file that will allow the ATI
installer to use an XP driver on Win2K. If it hoses W2K that's OK as I
installed it on a spare drive and can redo it easily enough.

Thanks for any leads,
John

Hello!

Have you already tried to use the compatibility mode under xp? If no:
right klick on the installer - properties - compatibility mode- as OS
select Win NT and try to install the software.
If this doesn't work for you, install virtual box and install there
win2k. Leave the system running under xp because it is the last os
supported by ati. Then install in the virtual w2k vbox guest additions
and you are able to scale the screen to the resolution you want.

best regards
Old February 1st 12, 10:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
John

On 1/31/2012 3:56 PM, oachkatzlschwoaf94 wrote:
[...]

I don't see where you are going with the compatibility mode under XP?
Although I do run XP on this comp as the primary OS, it was Win2K that I
was trying to *dual boot* on the same comp. Win2K does boot and
everything works except I can't find graphics drivers for the above
mentioned ATI card so its 640x480 VGA on an HDMI capable card driving a
24" LCD. As I said not too tasty, in fact it would probably make me go
blind

Yea I tried all the free virtual offerings I could find and frankly
'Virtual Box' worked the best by a mile. The one failing of Virtual Box
is it doesn't support a parallel port and that is one thing I must have
to the run the old application as it uses a parallel port dongle to
verify that you own the software. From what I have Googled this has been
a long asked request of Virtual Box but pretty much ignored by the
authors, they probably think every one wants it to run an old printer or
scanner.

Although VmWarePlayer supports the parallel port it couldn't do anything
with the graphics and I was still stuck running W2K in 640x480 VGA ... yuck.

Ms's 2007 offering that would run under an XP host was just outright
buggy and didn't offer anything but 640x480 VGA either, plus it also
didn't' support the parallel port.

So I am still looking for a video driver to run W2K natively in a dual
boot configuration.

I must stress that an updated application capable of running on XP or W7
is extremely pricey (about $7k) plus there is about 12 years of work
supporting the old version of the software that would be useless in the
new version ... basically priceless.

Thanks for your input,
John

Old February 2nd 12, 12:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
John

[...]

Finally I had success using VmWarePlayer! I had to upgrade W2K to
(unofficial) service pack 5.1 available at Major Geeks. Don't know what
it added but it allowed VmWare tools to finally install and the graphics
now work.

John