Is my P4B533-E motherboard compatible with SATA hard disks?

Old October 27th 06, 10:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Default Is my P4B533-E motherboard compatible with SATA hard disks?

Hi!
Is my P4B533-E motherboard compatible with SATA hard disks?
Is there a site to input your motherboard model and answers if it is
compatible
with PATA or SATA hard disks?

Old October 28th 06, 01:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

wrote:

Hi!
Is my P4B533-E motherboard compatible with SATA hard disks?
Is there a site to input your motherboard model and answers if it is
compatible
with PATA or SATA hard disks?

http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/mo...ASUS/P4B533-E/

or this archived web page from asus

http://web.archive.org/web/200208061...cification.htm

says "No" to SATA.

You can purchase a PCI card with a SATA chip on it, and gain access
to SATA drives that way. There are cards with SIL3112 on them,
cards with SIL3114 (four channel), and cards like this one. Read
the reviews carefully, to see if your OS is supported well or
not.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Custra...82E16816102045

This is a SIL3114 with four internal connectorsb - Syba
SD-SATA-4P. If you want to play around with it, the second link
is to some SIL3114 BIOS files. You can flash upgrade the card,
before you connect any disks to it. Either a RAID BIOS can be
used on the card, or a vanilla "IDE" BIOS. (Syba used to have
some of these files on their site, but I cannot find a link
to them now.)

http://www.chiefpick.com/product_p/cc-sd-sata-4p.htm
http://www.siliconimage.com/support/...id=2&osi d=0&

This is an example of a higher end product. It has a SIL3124 chip,
which supports SATA II 3.0Gb/sec operation. It would be nice to
see this chip in some cheaper cards, but I don't know if they exist
or not. This card, unfortunately, has E-Sata connectors, and that
isn't as practical for internal hard drives. This card is supposed
to fit PCI and PCI-X slots. When plugged into PCI, some of the pins
"hang over the end", limiting transfers to the normal 32 bits of a
desktop PCI bus.

http://www.datoptic.com/cgi-bin/web....cix&detail=yes

A 3.0Gb/sec interface SATA drive, can work with a 1.5Gb/sec SATA chip.
So you can mix and match technologies. Subject to the usual
compatibility issues that crop up from time to time. SATA II
disks ship from the factory set to 1.5Gb/sec, and should not
be a problem. Plug and pray, so to speak.

Paul
Old October 28th 06, 04:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Ed Medlin

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi!
Is my P4B533-E motherboard compatible with SATA hard disks?
Is there a site to input your motherboard model and answers if it is
compatible
with PATA or SATA hard disks?

You could add a SATA PCI add-in card like a Promise etc.

Ed