New system, Dell Wireless keyboard

Old April 4th 06, 12:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default New system, Dell Wireless keyboard

My outlet XPS 600 arrived yesterday.

When I turned it on to the configuration boot screens, the PC did not
recognize the wireless keyboard. After grabbing a wired keyboard and
mouse from another system, I configured it and then could install the
wireless keyboard (needed to press the manual connect green button on
the keyboard).

Is this typical? Should I expect to need a wired keyboard in case I
have to reinstall XP? I could not find any drivers for the keyboard
on the Dell site. Are the wireless drivers build into XP, or does the
receiver present itself to XP as a standard USB keyboard?

Thanks in advance,

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)
Old April 4th 06, 12:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

On 04 Apr 2006 07:18:30 -0400, wrote:

My outlet XPS 600 arrived yesterday.

When I turned it on to the configuration boot screens, the PC did not
recognize the wireless keyboard. After grabbing a wired keyboard and
mouse from another system, I configured it and then could install the
wireless keyboard (needed to press the manual connect green button on
the keyboard).

Is this typical? Should I expect to need a wired keyboard in case I
have to reinstall XP? I could not find any drivers for the keyboard
on the Dell site. Are the wireless drivers build into XP, or does the
receiver present itself to XP as a standard USB keyboard?

Thanks in advance,

Some folks on the Dell forums have used Logitech's software with their
Dell wireless keyboards to access the programmable function keys. It's
a free download.

My wireless keyboard shows up as a standard PS/2 keyboard on my XPS600
(I have it plugged into the PS/2 port) so I would imagine it should
show as a standard USB. I have no drivers loaded for the keyboard.

Did you try synching the keyboard with the receiver before plugging in
the standard one?

Dave
Old April 4th 06, 12:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

wrote in message

My outlet XPS 600 arrived yesterday.

When I turned it on to the configuration boot screens, the PC did not
recognize the wireless keyboard. After grabbing a wired keyboard and
mouse from another system, I configured it and then could install the
wireless keyboard (needed to press the manual connect green button on
the keyboard).

Is this typical? Should I expect to need a wired keyboard in case I
have to reinstall XP? I could not find any drivers for the keyboard
on the Dell site. Are the wireless drivers build into XP, or does the
receiver present itself to XP as a standard USB keyboard?

Thanks in advance,

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

I don't own a wireless keyboard, so I can't say if it's typical.

I can tell you that I keep both wired PS2 keyboard handy in case a given
machine will not boot using the USB keyboard - so retain your old wired
keyboard for those odd situations just in case.

I'm guessing that the Dell factory image will have the wireless kb drivers
present. If not, no disc? If not.........support website perhaps?

Stew

Old April 4th 06, 01:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

some confusion here - you don't need drivers for wireless keyboards.
you need drivers for the extra buttons on wireless keyboards, such as
shortcuts to IE, etc.
getting the keyboard recognised is a hardware issue: typically you plug
the receiver into the PC, press a button on that, then press a matching
button on keyboard and mouse to pair them all together - this is needed
because if they hardcoded them all to work out of the box, it would
interfere with any other wireless keyboards nearby.

this should be mentioned in your keyboard's manual, however.
ric

Old April 4th 06, 04:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

wrote in message

My outlet XPS 600 arrived yesterday.

When I turned it on to the configuration boot screens, the PC did not
recognize the wireless keyboard. After grabbing a wired keyboard and
mouse from another system, I configured it and then could install the
wireless keyboard (needed to press the manual connect green button on
the keyboard).

Is this typical? Should I expect to need a wired keyboard in case I
have to reinstall XP? I could not find any drivers for the keyboard
on the Dell site. Are the wireless drivers build into XP, or does the
receiver present itself to XP as a standard USB keyboard?

Thanks in advance,

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

I suspect it was just a green button issue. Get them talking before you
boot.

Tom

Old April 4th 06, 11:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

wrote in message

My outlet XPS 600 arrived yesterday.

When I turned it on to the configuration boot screens, the PC did not
recognize the wireless keyboard. After grabbing a wired keyboard and
mouse from another system, I configured it and then could install the
wireless keyboard (needed to press the manual connect green button on
the keyboard).

Is this typical?

Pressing the Connect button? Think so (been my experience).

Should I expect to need a wired keyboard in case I
have to reinstall XP?

I would hope not, but can't say for sure. How does your wireless KB
connect to your computer (and which Dell)?

I could not find any drivers for the keyboard
on the Dell site. Are the wireless drivers build into XP, or does the
receiver present itself to XP as a standard USB keyboard?

The generic drivers included w/XP should work for the KB's basic
functions (same for a wireless mouse). You'll need the manufacturer's
drivers for all the bells & whistles.

I agree with Stew - definitely hang on to a wired KB & mouse - you never
know.

HTH, good luck with your machine.
Old April 5th 06, 12:47 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Tom Scales writes:

wrote in message

news

My outlet XPS 600 arrived yesterday.

When I turned it on to the configuration boot screens, the PC did not
recognize the wireless keyboard. After grabbing a wired keyboard and
mouse from another system, I configured it and then could install the
wireless keyboard (needed to press the manual connect green button on
the keyboard).

Is this typical? Should I expect to need a wired keyboard in case I
have to reinstall XP? I could not find any drivers for the keyboard
on the Dell site. Are the wireless drivers build into XP, or does the
receiver present itself to XP as a standard USB keyboard?

Thanks in advance,

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

Tom I suspect it was just a green button issue. Get them talking before you
Tom boot.

I tried that a couple of times before giving up.

I expect something needed was not loaded when the initial Dell setup
screens came up.

It has worked fine since, with many reboots and no green button pushing...

Now, if only I could figure out why Firefox keeps crashing when I am away
from the computer. One blue screen too, when turning on an external hard
drive. Found the drive just fine after a restart...

Gotta run memtest on it...

Old April 5th 06, 01:08 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

wrote in message
Tom Scales writes:

wrote in message

news

[...]

If it makes you feel any better, I've had problems with Firefox periodically
becoming buggy. Granted, I use a lot of downloadable extensions for it, but
on my Dim8300 it seems that some of the latest versions of the browser don't
work well. While I didn't get BSOD's, it would lose connections frequently
or simply dump/crash in the middle of multi-tab sessions.

As a result of that,I've uninistalled FF on a few occasions and gone back to
earlier versions (I keep the core .exe files in a folder).

I'm currently rolled back to version 1.0.4 with the added extensions and
it's been stable for a while.

hth

Stew

Old April 5th 06, 01:13 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

S Lewis writes:

wrote in message

news
Tom Scales writes:

wrote in message
news

[...]

S Andrew...

S If it makes you feel any better, I've had problems with Firefox periodically
S becoming buggy. Granted, I use a lot of downloadable extensions for it, but
S on my Dim8300 it seems that some of the latest versions of the browser don't
S work well. While I didn't get BSOD's, it would lose connections frequently
S or simply dump/crash in the middle of multi-tab sessions.

I have the same version with a lot more extensions on some other XP Pro machines with
almost no crashes. So something seems different on the new machine. I do not believe
any of the few extensions I have on that box are not on the others.

S As a result of that,I've uninistalled FF on a few occasions and gone back to
S earlier versions (I keep the core .exe files in a folder).

S I'm currently rolled back to version 1.0.4 with the added extensions and
S it's been stable for a while.

We will see. I am in the habit of leaving it up with multiple tabs open for days at
a time.

ah

Old April 5th 06, 01:21 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"S.Lewis" wrote:

snip

If it makes you feel any better, I've had problems with Firefox periodically
becoming buggy. Granted, I use a lot of downloadable extensions for it, but
on my Dim8300 it seems that some of the latest versions of the browser don't
work well. While I didn't get BSOD's, it would lose connections frequently
or simply dump/crash in the middle of multi-tab sessions.

As a result of that,I've uninistalled FF on a few occasions and gone back to
earlier versions (I keep the core .exe files in a folder).

I'm currently rolled back to version 1.0.4 with the added extensions and
it's been stable for a while.

While y'all are talking about Firefox, I've got a quick question...

Take a look at View | Character Encoding.

Mine is set to Unicode (UTF-8) and, for the life of me, I can't get
it to default to Western (ISO-8859-1).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Notan