New install cannot connect to internet

Old July 16th 14, 09:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Al Drake

Default New install cannot connect to internet

For the first time I am unable to figure out what it stopping this new
system from connecting to some sites. I can connect to Google.com and
Gigabyte forum and NBC.com for example but many sites come up with an
error which i don't understand. I can connect to local network fine also.
Can anyone offer something I should try?

All I have is this report that tells me nothing:

Issues found
Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS
server)Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (primary
DNS server)
The device or resource is not responding to requests. Detected Detected
Contact your network administrator or Internet service provider (ISP)
Completed

Security or firewall settings might be blocking the connectionSecurity
or firewall settings might be blocking the connection
Security policy settings or firewall settings on this computer might be
blocking the connection. Detected Detected
Contact your network administrator Completed

Issues found Detection details

6 Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS
server) Detected Detected

The device or resource is not responding to requests.
Contact your network administrator or Internet service provider (ISP)
Completed

Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS
server). If you are at home, contact your ISP. Otherwise, contact your
network administrator for assistance.

6 Security or firewall settings might be blocking the connection
Detected Detected

Security policy settings or firewall settings on this computer might be
blocking the connection.
Contact your network administrator Completed

Your network security settings might need to be adjusted to allow
Windows to connect.

Detection details Expand

InformationalDiagnostics Information (Network Security)
Details about network security diagnosis:

Settings that might be blocking the connection:
Provider name: -
Provider description: -
Filter name: MWAC Filter
Provider context name: -

InformationalDiagnostics Information (Network Adapter)
Details about network adapter diagnosis:

Network adapter Local Area Connection 2 driver information:

Description . . . . . . . . . . : Killer e2200 PCI-E Gigabit
Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
Manufacturer . . . . . . . . . : Killer
Provider . . . . . . . . . . . : Killer
Version . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.0.2.42
Inf File Name . . . . . . . . . : C:\Windows\INF\oem19.inf
Inf File Date . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 11:40:40 PM
Section Name . . . . . . . . . : L1F.ndi
Hardware ID . . . . . . . . . . : pci\ven_1969&dev_e091
Instance Status Flags . . . . . : 0x180200a
Device Manager Status Code . . : 0
IfType . . . . . . . . . . . . : 6
Physical Media Type . . . . . . : 14

InformationalNetwork Diagnostics Log
File Name: 7665AE91-3D31-4057-A258-8CDE02F7FD91.Diagnose.0.etl

InformationalOther Networking Configuration and Logs
File Name: NetworkConfiguration.cab

Collection information
Computer Name: AlDrake's-PC
Windows Version: 6.1
Architectu Intel
Time: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 3:54:23 PM

Publisher details Expand

Windows Network Diagnostics
Detects problems with network connectivity.
Package Version: 1.0
Publisher: Microsoft Windows
Old July 17th 14, 02:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Al Drake wrote:
[...]

You're using a "Killer" NIC :-)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4726/q...oot-networking

The Killer NIC was invented by Bigfoot, as a "boutique network interface"
for gamers. The intention would be, to provide a lower ping than
normal. That means a "trick" is involved somewhere.

It also means that Al is going to have to do some
research on how it works, whether the extra features
can be turned off and the thing run as a "regular NIC".

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3716/b...ic-killer-2100

"By endowing a NIC with a full-fledged microcomputer running Linux,
not only could the card offload virtually every part of processing
required for network operations, but it could even bypass Windows’
notorious networking stack and handle packets in a manner better
suited for low-latency use (i.e. games)."

See what I mean ? More research required. You're going to
need to learn what features are in the "e2200" NIC, and see whether
it's got all of that amazing stuff from the Anandtech article.

This is what comes of buying "boutique" hardware.

*******

Now, I'll put on my pragmatic hat for a moment. Since
I know you don't like "research and testing" type
solutions, and prefer to spend money to get out
of a mess, I recommend slipping a regular NIC card
into the PC. Find a PCI Express x1 NIC with an Intel
chip on it... and enjoy a working network.

$36, fits in a PCI Express x1 slot, or even an x16 if that is all you've got.

Intel NIC chips are preferred for no-nonsense operation.
I spent like, $15 on some Realtek RTL8169SC ****, and lived to
regret it (high interrupt rate, needs about 4GHz of CPU to
run a GbE link flat out). I've never had a serious problem with Intel
ones. The Marvell ones I've used were similarly good.

There's undoubtedly nothing wrong with the Killer NIC, that
trying a ton of different drivers would not fix. You'd need to
find a gamer forum, where somebody has "tamed" their Killer,
to figure out the secret to using it. If you want networking
to work today, picking up an Intel NIC is the fastest
solution. My local stores here would likely only stock
RealTek stuff (they even tricked me, claiming I was getting
a good one, only to get it home and find *another* RealTek
chip). I guess my next NIC, will be purchased from someone
I can trust.

Paul
Old July 17th 14, 04:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 21:56:16 -0400, Paul wrote:

I've never had a serious problem with Intel
ones. The Marvell ones I've used were similarly good.

Scary.

And I thought networking, for purposes of connecting to the inet, was
all but over - every MB network chipset I've used has been,
practically, (say for the past decade), perfectly functional: connects
to modems/routers variously as supplied by providers, with no low
speeds or serious latency issues for the most part. Basically insured
standard services for an included connectivity on today's Pacific Rim
MBs;- a PCI network card would seem more the specialty or niche item,
than from yesterday. Whereas matching up a modem to a provider's
standards is now where "it's at" -- getting their tech support to much
less even admit standards (they want to cram additional payments on
"equipment rental," including that "their modem" be mandated as such
and as admissibly, legally speaking, as much as at all po$$ible). Oh,
well - nice for the Pakistani trained tech, customer support teams -
only to happy to explain how complicated indeed such things are. At
24-hour shifts at maybe 75cents an hour overtime, they're there to
ensure exuberance is at all-time exhilarating doubleplus levels. Be
happy, citizen!

Inf File Date . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, March 20, 2013
11:40:40 PM
[...]

Thanks for that Paul. This time I might try taking time and doing the
research as this build was something I took on out of bore dome. This
board has another RJ45 connection to what it shows as Intel GbE LAN
phy(whatever that is) so I'll have to see if that will give me the
standard connectivity. The ability to connect to some sites and not
others has me wondering what is being blocked and needs to be
configured. I tuned off the firewall as the error report made reference
to that but that did nothing. I have a wireless device I can try because
I want to be able to activate Kaspersky Pure before I run naked to
points unknown.

It will be nice to see how this Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core
4.0GHz performs. I maxed out the RAM @32 Gigs just because I could so
this should be my last build for about 5 years or so. I hope.