Athlon XP 2500, cooling

Old September 9th 04, 10:09 AM
mike serpedo

Default Athlon XP 2500, cooling

I have an Asus notebook (L3350M / model L300D_L) equipped with
Athlon XP-M 2500+ (system clock 133.90 x 14.0), SiS740 chipset,
512 MB RAM, Windows XP SP1.
The problem is, it shuts down by itself quite often when cpu
temperature rises.
Windows' built-in HLT cooling does not work for Athlon, so I
downloaded several "cooling software". CPUIdle and another one
who have specific AMD cooling options work fine (temperature
drops by ~ 10-20°C), but the systems becomes very unstable,
Windows does not shut down properly and hard disk data gets
corrupted.
I have tried VCool but it doesn't support my motherboard.
Actually I'm using Speedfan, but it's useless for cooling and doesn't
let me change fan settings and voltages.
I really hope somebody here can help me...
Thanks,

Mike

Old September 9th 04, 08:51 PM
Oxford Systems

"mike serpedo" wrote in message
I have an Asus notebook (L3350M / model L300D_L) equipped with
Athlon XP-M 2500+ (system clock 133.90 x 14.0), SiS740 chipset,
512 MB RAM, Windows XP SP1.
The problem is, it shuts down by itself quite often when cpu
temperature rises.

That my friend is an absolute system malfunction unless you are using this
system in an extreme environment. Has it always done this? If so, it's
entirely possible that the heatsink was installed incorrecty (no thermal
grease or pad) onto the processor. I believe this system is user serviceable
but if you are still within the warranty period I'd return it and have it
serviced.

--
The Alabama Transfer Scam
http://www.glcq.com/trans.htm

Old September 10th 04, 09:39 AM
Tony Hill

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 09:09:42 GMT, "mike serpedo"
wrote:

I have an Asus notebook (L3350M / model L300D_L) equipped with
Athlon XP-M 2500+ (system clock 133.90 x 14.0), SiS740 chipset,
512 MB RAM, Windows XP SP1.
The problem is, it shuts down by itself quite often when cpu
temperature rises.
Windows' built-in HLT cooling does not work for Athlon, so I
downloaded several "cooling software". CPUIdle and another one
who have specific AMD cooling options work fine (temperature
drops by ~ 10-20°C), but the systems becomes very unstable,
Windows does not shut down properly and hard disk data gets
corrupted.
I have tried VCool but it doesn't support my motherboard.
Actually I'm using Speedfan, but it's useless for cooling and doesn't
let me change fan settings and voltages.
I really hope somebody here can help me...

If you're computer is still under warranty, call Asus tech support!
If their tech support is worth a damn (no guarantees there) they will
have some sort of solution for you, because something is obviously
wrong with this laptop.

FWIW the AthlonXP-M 2500+ chip does consume a reasonable amount of
power when going full-bore, but it also contains "PowerNow!", which
should greatly reduce the power consumption while idle (with or
without the 'HLT' instruction. What's more, the cooling of this
system should easily be sufficient to keep the processor cool.

Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca