Compaq and quality..

Old September 6th 03, 09:25 PM
Håkan Rohdin

Default Compaq and quality..

Hi!

My mother has from her employer been given a rather generous offer on
buying a new Compaq computer. The two options she have is Presario
S4300SE and Presario 8720SE. She has no real interests in computers
and so even a basic model will do. What concerns me about buying a
name-brand computer [especially Compaq] is the quality and their
"special improvements" to standards and so on. Or maybe is this just
_old_ prejustice from my side.

So, please, can you recommend her to this decision? The price for a
Presario S4300SE with 19" CRT and a Canon i350 Inkjet printer would be
~$790 including three years warranty.
Old September 10th 03, 03:07 AM
Helen

"Håkan Rohdin" wrote in message
om...
: Hi!
:
: My mother has from her employer been given a rather generous offer on
: buying a new Compaq computer. The two options she have is Presario
: S4300SE and Presario 8720SE. She has no real interests in computers
: and so even a basic model will do. What concerns me about buying a
: name-brand computer [especially Compaq] is the quality and their
: "special improvements" to standards and so on. Or maybe is this just
: _old_ prejustice from my side.
:
: So, please, can you recommend her to this decision? The price for a
: Presario S4300SE with 19" CRT and a Canon i350 Inkjet printer would be
: ~$790 including three years warranty.

If that includes monitor, DVD, CD-RW, keyboard, mouse and speakers, the go
for it. If it does not include these items, well, shop elsewhere. BTW, if
you do decide to buy it...(as a friend just recently did from BEST BUY for
about the same price with all the items I mentioned included..preinstalled
software..Windows XP..).. MAKE sure that the FIRST thing you do after
hooking it up is to go buy 10-12 CD's and back up that entire system because
they do not give you any software... also, you might want to check out the
info, views on Win XP. Some like it, some don't. It does have
compatibility problems with certain programs/software. But the price you
stated is the current rate for that system. I cannot vouch for it but it
seems reasonable.

Helen

Old September 12th 03, 04:41 PM
Håkan Rohdin

"Helen" wrote in message ...
[...]

She has decided to accept it. At the end of the day, even if I was
going to build it myself, the price would have been higher. And the
system is complete, including Windows XP, MS Word, MS Works and a few
other things..

Thanks for your advice!

/Håkan