Difference between Intel CPUs

Old October 11th 04, 05:05 AM
Bad Bubba

Default Difference between Intel CPUs

I finally setteled on an ASUS motherboard with an Intel chipset and now
I'm trying to figure out which CPU to get.

I already have four 512MB PC3200 DDR chips for two gigs of RAM which I
believe will work with the ASUS motherboard:

http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=...eluxe&langs=01

So, should I get a 533Mhz CPU to match the memory speed? How exactly do
you match memory with an Intel CPU?

Thanks for any insight.

Old October 11th 04, 07:59 AM
BigJIm

well that is 400 mhz ram so the you could get a 800 mhz chip
the question is what board did you purchase?

. com...

Old October 11th 04, 05:17 PM
Bad Bubba

The ASUS board in the link.

In article Xaqad.236980$3l3.48724@attbi_s03,
says...
well that is 400 mhz ram so the you could get a 800 mhz chip
the question is what board did you purchase?

. com...

Old October 12th 04, 05:21 AM
BigJIm

yea that memory will work with that board using a 800 mhz chip
check out the pricing here www.pricewatch.com

. com...

Old October 12th 04, 01:39 PM
Mike Kirkland

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 06:59:03 GMT, "BigJIm"
wrote:

well that is 400 mhz ram so the you could get a 800 mhz chip
the question is what board did you purchase?

Actually, it is 200mhz ram double pumped and the cpu is 200mhz quad
pumped. ;-)

Old October 12th 04, 01:46 PM
JK

Forget about Intel. Buy an Athlon 64 instead. Many of those who buy a
32 bit processor in '04 will probably in '05 regret that they didn't buy
a 64 bit processor instead when great 64 bit software is released.

Old October 12th 04, 02:24 PM
Bad Bubba

I am doing Video processing and I had an opportunity to test a friends
Athlon 64 3200+ against a P4 2.8GHz and doing MPG2 encoding the P4 won
hands down.

I've always been an AMD guy and I'll continue to use them in my other
computers, but for my video editing machine, it looks like P4 is the
best way to go.

In article , says...

Old October 12th 04, 02:34 PM
Bad Bubba

Thanks. Using Pricewatch, I found:

http://www.starmicro.net/detail.aspx?ID=511

They've got 75% positive feedback which I read through. Has anyone here
dealt with them?

Is this the right CPU? It's in my price range.

In article YYIad.114140$He1.82153@attbi_s01,
says...
yea that memory will work with that board using a 800 mhz chip
check out the pricing here
www.pricewatch.com

. com...

Old October 12th 04, 03:41 PM
JK

Bad Bubba wrote:

I am doing Video processing and I had an opportunity to test a friends
Athlon 64 3200+ against a P4 2.8GHz and doing MPG2 encoding the P4 won
hands down.

I guess you didn't use 64 bit software on the Athlon 64?

I've always been an AMD guy and I'll continue to use them in my other
computers, but for my video editing machine, it looks like P4 is the
best way to go.

Probably not if 64 bit software is used on an Athlon 64.

In article , says...

Old October 12th 04, 05:38 PM
Bad Bubba

Do you work for AMD or something?

The amount of available 64-bit software is next to nothing comparitively
speaking. And I am using off-the-shelf Adobe, Ulead and Pinnacle
software.

I am not interested in buying a chip that would require me to buy
"special software" just to use it. I want something that works with all
of my existing software.

I'm not saying the Athlon 64 is bad, but it just does not provide enough
performance for my needs with my EXISTING software. I'm sure that will
change in a year or two.

In article , says...