Assembling A Firewire HD Array

Old August 15th 03, 09:40 AM
Charles Vegman

Default Assembling A Firewire HD Array

I have an external SCSI box that I would like to convert over to using
inexpensive IDE drives, and connect same to my computer via Firewire.
I would like it to be a RAID arrangement, but running discrete drives
would be OK, too. I googled and found some off-the-shelf setups using
firewire going for about $1600. ouch.

Probably cheapest solution would be using a firewire converter on each
drive (@ $55 per) , as is found he

http://www.bestsonic.com/fitoataatinc.html

and linking the drives. Looks ugly, but if it works, that is great.
Has anybody done this sort of thing?

CV
Old September 9th 03, 06:28 AM
Joe

Charles Vegman wrote in message ws.com...
I have an external SCSI box that I would like to convert over to using
inexpensive IDE drives, and connect same to my computer via Firewire.
I would like it to be a RAID arrangement, but running discrete drives
would be OK, too. I googled and found some off-the-shelf setups using
firewire going for about $1600. ouch.

Probably cheapest solution would be using a firewire converter on each
drive (@ $55 per) , as is found he

http://www.bestsonic.com/fitoataatinc.html

and linking the drives. Looks ugly, but if it works, that is great.
Has anybody done this sort of thing?

CV

You could try this - it's a ATA to SATA adapter. $18.99 at newegg, of
course you would need to get a SATA Raid card to go with it, but would
probably be cheaper in the long run.

The only issue there is you would have to use RAID 0 or RAID 1, or
0+1.... of course if you go with the firewire solution you'll be
using software raid anyhow which will use the CPU alot more.

Here's the newegg description for the drive adapter in case you're
interested...

HIGH POINT TECHNOLOGY SERIAL ATA Convertor. Rockethead 100 Converts
Current IDE interface to Next Generation SATA
This device allows users to connect ATA100 and ATA133 IDE hard disk
drives to the Serial ATA controller. This converter is ideal for those
who do not have Serial ATA hard disks, or want to avoid using multiple
host adapters. it also elimates the larger Ribbon cables in favor for
smaller, and longer SATA Cables.
Specifications:
Comes with Adapter and Cable, (uses Pass-through Molex 5v12v Connector
Retail box (see pics) Model#: RocketHead 100

OT Front firewire & audio ports Bruin Overclocking 6 January 18th 05 11:08 PM
Firewire harddrive speeds Erwin R. Leijen General 1 October 1st 04 02:09 PM
USB/USB-2 How can I tell? Chris Mayers General 30 May 16th 04 12:36 AM
USB 2.0 and firewire Augustus General 1 January 17th 04 07:41 PM
Firewire Harddisk Problems on Clevo Notebook and WIndows XP RayM General 2 September 21st 03 05:48 AM