Asus A7v266-e and a 266 MHz MP2800+ will this work ?

Old May 24th 04, 07:31 PM
We Live for the One we Die for the One

Default Asus A7v266-e and a 266 MHz MP2800+ will this work ?

Asus A7v266-e and a 266 MHz MP2800+ will this work ?

I mean the latest bios only supports 2600 266mhz how would the 266 MHz
MP2800+ work ?

I take it its multiplier unlocked so i could take it to XP3000 speeds
right ?

Thanks.
Old May 24th 04, 08:00 PM
Federico

Asus A7v266-e and a 266 MHz MP2800+ will this work ?

1st) Asus A7v266 is too old for new processors and i don't think it supports
more than ATHLON XP 2600+

2nd) I'm sorry for you, but your processor will work only in biprocessor
systems... dual processor is the configuration it has been developed for...
athlon MP can't work in single processor mode... if you want you can try to
search something on amd's site...i don't think you'll find anything....

I mean the latest bios only supports 2600 266mhz how would the 266 MHz
MP2800+ work ?

I take it its multiplier unlocked so i could take it to XP3000 speeds
right ?

I think you are in wrong from base if you want to make any kind of
overclock...
You must use a MoBo like Epox, Abit, Gigabyte....
not an old model like yours...with a7v266 you'll make an instable system....
you can try, but is on your own risk....
then your cpu would have a great heatsink... and i don't know if there's so
much space on your asus....
Go on the net, search and then try... only to avoid useless waste of money
and time...

good work!!

Old May 25th 04, 02:59 AM
David Maynard

We Live for the One we Die for the One wrote:

Asus A7v266-e and a 266 MHz MP2800+ will this work ?

I mean the latest bios only supports 2600 266mhz how would the 266 MHz
MP2800+ work ?

I take it its multiplier unlocked so i could take it to XP3000 speeds
right ?

Thanks.

No reason to mess with an MP, use an XP 2400+ mobile (they're unlocked) and
then overclock it. Newegg had them last time I checked and that's where I
got mine ('refurb' deal).

You should do a google and research it as the brief one or two I looked at
indicate the board should be rev 1.07, or higher, and there was some
confusion about the highest multiplier you can set.

You'd want to use whatever the fastest FSB your board can overclock to and
then select the best multiplier. Increase core voltage, of course.

Old May 25th 04, 06:32 AM
BigBadger

The MP2800+ will work fine in a single cpu system....what makes you think it
won't? They are after all the same cpu as the XP's, the only difference
being that the XP version has a bridge cut.
I'm not 100% sure if it would work on the A7V266...I would guess that it
would, although the bios is unlikely to recognise it properly. Certainly the
heatsink won't be any problem as long as it's designed in accordance with
AMD's clearance guidelines, anyway why should the MP2800+ require a much
bigger heatsink than the XP2600+?.

Having said all of that the MP's have a fair price premium...It probably
makes more sense to buy a newer board then get a XP2500+ and overclock it to
XP3200+