K8V - no vocal post ??

Old July 10th 04, 11:50 PM
Bob Petruska

Default K8V - no vocal post ??

I don't have any vocal posting. I have everything enabled in the vocal post
portion of the BIOS. I do have have the onboard audio turned off as I'm
using a SoundBlaster Live card.
Is this the problem?

Otherwise any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old July 11th 04, 12:22 AM
dino

the vocal post works through the speakers connected to the on-board
audio..hmmm...so yes it is a problem if you want to hear it

Old July 11th 04, 02:04 AM
Paul

In article , "Bob Petruska"
wrote:

I don't have any vocal posting. I have everything enabled in the vocal post
portion of the BIOS. I do have have the onboard audio turned off as I'm
using a SoundBlaster Live card.
Is this the problem?

Otherwise any suggestions would be appreciated.

The K8V doesn't have Voice POST (POST Reporter). There is room for
two chips in the lower left hand corner of the board, to the left of
the WIFI slot, and they are missing. Voice POST is on the K8V Deluxe
and the K8V SE Deluxe.

If you have either of the Deluxe boards, make sure the two jumpers
are on the FP_AUDIO header, "Speech POST Reporter" [Enabled] in
the BIOS, and then, no matter what sound cards you've got, or
whether sound is enabled/disabled in the BIOS, the Voice POST is
permanently hardwired to the lime colored, lineout jack on the
back of the computer. Plug in an amplified speaker and you should
be able to hear it.

HTH,
Paul
Old July 11th 04, 04:31 AM
Bob Petruska

Makes sense why id don't hear it.

Old July 11th 04, 04:35 AM
Bob Petruska

So if you disable voice post in the BIOS do you hear the normal error beeps
in the onboard computer speaker?

I do have the K8V SE Deluxe board.

Old July 11th 04, 06:34 AM
Paul

In article , "Bob Petruska"
wrote:

So if you disable voice post in the BIOS do you hear the normal error beeps
in the onboard computer speaker?

I do have the K8V SE Deluxe board.

I don't know enough about the way BIOS are written to answer that.

If you aren't hearing the Voice POST, even though the jumpers on
the FP_AUDIO header are installed, and you've got amplified speakers
on the Lineout jack, then enter the BIOS and make sure Voice POST
is [Enabled]. If you cannot enter the BIOS, then try the
"clear the CMOS" procedure, to try to get the setting for the
Voice POST back to the enabled position. Unplug the computer before
doing the "clear the CMOS" procedure, as there should not be any
+5VSB feeding the board while clearing the CMOS.

Is your computer busted, or is this just a theoretical question ?

Normally, Asus motherboards beep the case speaker once at power up,
with the exception of maybe the P4P800/P4C800 BIOS and the silly
hack that was used to shut up the beeping every time a USB device
is plugged in. To fix it, it looks like Asus killed all the beeping
in the later BIOS files. I don't know if they did something similar
to the K8V SE Deluxe or not.

Paul

Old July 11th 04, 06:24 PM
Bob Petruska

It was just a theoretical question that if I did have a MB error develop I
wouldn't hear any beeps to indicate what MB section (video, memory, etc) I
should look at.

"Paul" wrote in message
In article , "Bob Petruska"
wrote:

[...]