DataFax Modem versus Telephone Modem

Old April 26th 04, 09:40 PM
Arthur

Default DataFax Modem versus Telephone Modem

I'm about to place an order for an 8300 Dimension desktop. I'm
replacing an old Gateway GP6-400, where I do my telephone dialing with
Phone Dialer (dialer.exe) which comes with Windows 98. This little
program satisfies my simple requirements.

My question: Should I spend an extras $20 for the Dell telephone modem,
or will the standard DataFax modem allow me to continue using
PhoneDialer? [Whoops, I'm assuming that Phone Dialer comes with XP?!]

Can somebody give me a little advice on this?

Arthur

--
For email replies:
Remove xy99spam

Old April 26th 04, 10:35 PM
Arthur

Correction: I should have said "Voice Modem" instead of "Telephone
Modem"...................Arthur

Old April 26th 04, 10:38 PM
Don Taylor

"Arthur" writes:
I'm about to place an order for an 8300 Dimension desktop. I'm
replacing an old Gateway GP6-400, where I do my telephone dialing with
Phone Dialer (dialer.exe) which comes with Windows 98. This little
program satisfies my simple requirements.

My question: Should I spend an extras $20 for the Dell telephone modem,
or will the standard DataFax modem allow me to continue using
PhoneDialer? [Whoops, I'm assuming that Phone Dialer comes with XP?!]

Can somebody give me a little advice on this?

Some folks, myself included, have had some difficulties with the internal
modems being provided. Several folks have made postings here, myself
included, where falling back to a good quality external modem seemed to
have solved the problem. Googling for a few good keywords in the groups
archive can find these for you. As seems to often be the case, likely
nobody can ever conclusively decide what the problem really was.
Old April 27th 04, 12:32 AM
HH

Uh, wrong asumption. No phone dialer in XP. The telephony software that
comes with a voice modem might include it. Ask the Dell sales rep.
HH

Old April 27th 04, 01:55 AM
Jim Driscoll

Be careful what you specify with Dell. I specifically asked for a hardware
modem and got a cheesy winmodem which couldn't connect at my ISP's default
speeds.

Old April 27th 04, 06:16 PM
devans

I opted for the extra $20 and now wish I hadn't. That modem is junk. I
have spent the better part of a month working different init strings
while disabling V.92, throttling down any aggressivness by limiting
connect speeds but nothing has helped this modem. A same G6-450 I have
on the next table connect 100% of the time at a 49444 kbps I had to
limit there at that speed or it would connect at 51666 kbps (too
aggressive). My old modem had great throughput and I could live w/ that
dialed up connect but this new Dell"s modem never connects over 42666
and then only one out of nine times, most of the time it connects at
38666 on the very same line,plug-in socket, and connections. Now I need
to consider another after market modem or spend more for cable
connection of which I don't really need in my work (or want the security
hassles).I have several brand new USR(ISA SLOT) modems that are rock
solid modems. I haven't even looked if there is even a open ISA slot in
a 8300 series. Have you looked yet?

Old April 30th 04, 03:18 AM
Ed

I got the telephony modem with my Dimension 4500 and the Voice Answering
software never worked, so I returned it to Dell in the first 30 days, got my
money back and bought a cheap datafax modem online for much less money and
it works fine for faxing.

Ed

Old May 1st 04, 01:31 AM
Bruce

I just got an 8300 with the data/fax modem only, and it works fine so
far I just sent a fax with it and no problem. But you could probably
save a couple bucks by not getting any modem and buy one from Fry's or
other such sources for pretty cheap ($10-15).

Also, I too was dismayed to find that Dialer wasn't included with XP (I
used Dialer with WinMe) ... but I then found it under "c:\Program
Files\Windows NT\dialer.exe" ... yes, there is a "Windows NT"
subdirectory on WinXP. This version of Dialer is a little different but
entirely servicable.