PartitionMagic + Re-Lettering Windows Partitions = No Boot

Old April 18th 05, 02:30 AM

Default PartitionMagic + Re-Lettering Windows Partitions = No Boot

Okay, I hate feeling stupid. And OS/boot issues make me feel stupid.

If I'm posting to the wrong newsgroup(s), then please do feel free to
redirect me...

I have a computer with dual-boot -- one Windows 2003 Server and one
Windows XP Pro -- plus about five non-bootable data partitions. Total
disk size = 80 GB.

On the Windows XP Pro partition, I have PartitionMagic 8 installed. I
recently used PartitionMagic 8 from this partition to:
+ Change some of the partition drive letters within Windows XP Pro --
of the data partitions and of the Windows XP Pro partition -- to match
those used by the Windows 2003 Server OS.
+ Reduce the size of the Windows 2003 Server partition, so as to later
be able to increase the size of some of the other partitions with the
freed-up space.

These tasks were queued up in PartitionMagic's task list, and then the
list was executed.

PartitionMagic then seemed to do its thing for a bit, then rebooted the
machine. As it came back up, PartitionMagic began executing its
changes, and eventually rebooted again. When it came back up again,
again booting into the Windows XP Pro partition, I got the following
message amongst the early Windows XP Pro startup screens:

PartitionMagic (xmnt2002.exe)
PartitionMagic is unable to read the batch file. Verify that
the System32 directory is not compressed or corrupt.

Now, I cannot boot the machine into either partition, not even in safe
mode.

Booting to Windows 2003 Server results in a blank black screen; it
doesn't look like anything's loading at all. Booting into safe mode
get as far as the loading of lots of drivers (according to the
scrolling text), but stops there; no OS load.

Windows XP Pro seems partway load, and I get a Windows XP logo floating
on a blue Windows XP background, but it hangs there. Booting into safe
mode goes through the list of loading drivers, briefly displays the
"Safe Mode" labelled screen, then displays the same Windows XP logo
floating on a blue Windows XP background, and stays there.

I suspect that having the re-lettering of the Windows XP Pro partition
in the same action sequence as any resizing attempts may not have been
such a good idea. I suspect that the "batch file" PM claims to be
unable to find is referenced in a registry value that PM planted using
the old Windows XP Pro drive letter, but is now located under the new
drive letter, thus causing the registry value to point at a location
that doesn't exist. I think. But if I can't boot the Windows XP Pro
partition, safe mode or otherwise, I can't even get in there to look at
it (or anything else), much less fix anything.

And I have no idea what's wrong with the Windows 2003 Server partition,
except that it won't load at all.

I could just drop the Windows XP Pro partition and reinstall -- there
isn't much on it anyway. But I have a lot of material on the Windows
2003 Server partition, and I'd like to know that I can get it back...

Anyone have any ideas?

(And thanks for reading this far.)

- Tom Kiefer
thogek @ earthlink . net

Old April 18th 05, 04:38 AM

Here's a new message I'm getting when I use PartitionMagic itself
(direct from the CD) to view existing partitions:

Error #1516
Partition improperly dismounted. Please refer to the online
user guide for instructions on how to resolve this issue.

- Tom Kiefer
thogek @ earthlink . net