19" Flat panel VGA or DVI cable

Old April 6th 05, 10:56 PM
DB

Default 19" Flat panel VGA or DVI cable

I bought a 19" Samsung panel and it works great but was wondering If I would
see any improvement by using a DVI cable instead of my VGA cable. Anyone
have any words of wisdom on this? Best buy wants $52 for a DVI cable so I
don't want to through my money away.

Thanks,

Old April 6th 05, 11:34 PM
Unexpected Error

I have a 19" Flat panel at work with both DVI and VGA cables and I would be
hard pressed to tell the difference between the two connection types.

Bottom line is save your money you will not see any difference.

Old April 7th 05, 01:06 AM
Inglo

On 4/6/2005 2:56 PM DB brightened our day with:

I bought a 19" Samsung panel and it works great but was wondering If I would
see any improvement by using a DVI cable instead of my VGA cable. Anyone
have any words of wisdom on this? Best buy wants $52 for a DVI cable so I
don't want to through my money away.

Thanks,

I can tell the difference on my Sony. I like DVI much better, I've had
both cables plugged in to my vid card at the same time and switched back
and forth, windows is much crisper. Games not as much difference.
Don't get it at Best Buy, http://www.pacificcable.com/DVI.htm have them
for $22.

Though I can notice the difference, I doubt if I would have bought the
DVI cable if mine hadn't come with one.

--
Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com
Old April 7th 05, 03:00 AM
Jeff McKinnon

I agree with the other posters here. I have a 20" ViewSonic LCD and the difference between the DVI and VGA connection is nearly imperceptible. I notice a slight difference in DVD playback, but normal computing and even game play are pretty much dead even when comparing the two connections.

--
Jeff McKinnon
jeff_mckinnonAThotmailDOTcom

Old April 7th 05, 04:28 PM
DB

Thanks all you guys for your input. I think I'll try and find a less expensive
DVI cable and give it a go for myself.
-Dave

Old April 8th 05, 09:06 AM
The Black Wibble

"DB" wrote in message
I bought a 19" Samsung panel and it works great but was wondering If I
would
see any improvement by using a DVI cable instead of my VGA cable. Anyone
have any words of wisdom on this? Best buy wants $52 for a DVI cable so I
don't want to through my money away.

!!!!$52!!!! In New Zealand I can get one for $12 (~U.S$9.50)
http://tinyurl.com/6u2nz. Go to a local elecronics retailer man. Holy
Hell. $52! BTW, using the DVI on my monitor/gfx card is a huge improvement
on VGA. The colours are darker and washier and the text is not nearly so
sharp when using VGA. Actually some gfx cards output a better VGA signal
than others. Maybe mine's just plain lousy. However, the DVI output is
superb.

Tony.

Old April 10th 05, 02:27 PM
Mike

I bought a 19" Samsung panel and it works great but was wondering If I would
see any improvement by using a DVI cable instead of my VGA cable. Anyone
have any words of wisdom on this? Best buy wants $52 for a DVI cable so I
don't want to through my money away.

Thanks,

I have a Hyundai L90D+ 8ms 19" panel, and like some of the other posters, there
is very little difference between them.

I'm sure most users use the DVI cable for the same reason I do, they know that
in theory it shoild be slightly better. :-))

Mine came with the DVI cable, so no reason not to use it. You also often find
some of the monitor menu setup options are less when using the DVI cable, as the
monitor is capable of setting itself up easier with DVI... so some of the
options are redundant with DVI.

Mike

Old April 13th 05, 09:38 PM
DB

Ok, I thought I would share my results. I ended up getting a DVI cable for
$17.50 from
Cable makers inc. I notice that there is no longer any adjustments available
for auto focus
either on the Flat screen or via software. I guess because of the Digital
signal. I think I
can tell the difference especially in text. I think for $17.50 this was a
worthwhile
purchase. Thanks again for all your input guys.

Dave