Problem Burning CDs from external harddrive

Old July 15th 04, 05:25 PM
Patrick Ward

Default Problem Burning CDs from external harddrive

Folks -
I've been running into some disk problems since I installed an
external 52x CD RW drive. Both the CD drive and my external 100gig
harddrive (Western Digital) are connected via USB 2.0. I'm running XP
home.

When I try to burn a disc with music from the external harddrive, (the
burning speed maxes out at about 20x), the writing process halts and I
get a "general error message". Some other "strange" things that have
happened:

1. My computer automatically runs chkdsk.exe on startup, checking
either my C:/ (internal) or external harddrive and "fixes" errors on
it.
2. In "My Computer", the external harddrive sometimes isn't
recognized at all - or it is assigned too high a drive letter.
3. In "My Computer", the CD writer is assigned two drive letters -
one for a CD drive and one for a CD R/W drive.
4. If I unplug and replug in the external harddrive, XP usually
recognizes the drive. I can then go into the drive and play tunes
that are on it w/ Media Player. If I try to then burn a disc and get
the error, Media Player will no longer play the files on the external
hard drive.

I thought I may be trying to burn faster than the data can be pulled
from the external harddrive, but I've since run into similar issues
when trying to burn at slower speeds.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Patrick