HDD Woes

Old June 30th 04, 09:00 AM
Sonny

Default HDD Woes

Hello,

I have a Compaq Presario Laptop. Everything had been quite smooth
until yesterday. I started it in the morning and I got the message "No
system disk or disk error".

I booted from my CD-Rom using my Windows XP CD and it said it cannot
find a hard drive. I was convinced that my hard drive had died on me,
but i decided to take the computer with me at work, where we have a
lot of screwdrivers (the screws on mine are very specific), and plug
the hard drive out and then in, and see what happens.

When i arrived I turned my laptop on and windows started without any
problems. I kept using it for several hours. I was moving it, rebooted
several times and everything seemed okay. Then I took it back home and
when I turned it on again, I got the same "no system disk or disk
error message".

Oh, and also one of the times when it booted well, it crashed shortly
after loading windows, displaying some error with kernel.

I've been using this installation of Windows for more than 6 months
and I havent had any problems with it. Nor have I had problems with my
HDD or any other hardware.

Now, I am writing this on the very same computer. It turned on okay
today. Go figure.

Is my HDD dying on me, or it might be a windows problem?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

thanks in advance

V. Ivanov
Old June 30th 04, 10:42 AM
CWatters

Was it on mains power both at work and at home?

Could vibration in transit be causing an intermittant problem?

om...

Old June 30th 04, 02:58 PM
OCZ Guy

I get that from time to time, never had a dead drive, i just unfluged
the IDE connections and repluged them in fixed it EVERYTIME.

Try that before you go insane, unplug and reinstall from the mobo and
drive.

If that don't work try IDE2 before concluding the drive is dead.

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 12:14:55 +0100, Andy Lee
wrote:

On 30 Jun 2004 01:00:47 -0700, (Sonny) wrote:

I've been using this installation of Windows for more than 6 months
and I havent had any problems with it. Nor have I had problems with my
HDD or any other hardware.

Now, I am writing this on the very same computer. It turned on okay
today. Go figure.

Is my HDD dying on me, or it might be a windows problem?

Most likely the HD You do have backups of your data? If not do them
now. No System Disk is a common sign the the disk is not well and will
most likely die very soon

Old June 30th 04, 09:00 PM
Sonny

"CWatters" wrote in message ...

Could vibration in transit be causing an intermittant problem?

Yes, I believe that this is the issue. Is there anything that can be done about it?

"Andy Lee ) wrote:"

Most likely the HD You do have backups of your data?

Done that already.

": OCZ Guy ) wrote:"

I get that from time to time, never had a dead drive, i just unfluged
the IDE connections and repluged them in fixed it EVERYTIME.
Try that before you go insane, unplug and reinstall from the mobo and
drive.
If that don't work try IDE2 before concluding the drive is dead.

Sorry I have to ask but, how do you plug/unplug IDE and IDE connections?

regards,

V. Ivanov

9800 pro woes... Ski Ati Videocards 12 July 2nd 04 12:36 AM
help with my sad 9800pro woes P J C Ati Videocards 6 February 20th 04 03:42 PM
Dual monitor woes with full screen games... Richard Nienhuis Ati Videocards 0 December 21st 03 01:16 AM
Radeon9600 woes [email protected] Ati Videocards 13 October 20th 03 04:22 PM
Graphics card woes David W General 1 July 19th 03 01:38 AM