AMD compared to Intel

Old October 31st 03, 04:20 AM
Lost

I would love to turn my xp down to about 50mhz fsb when I go to bed, and
shut the system fans off

I don't get why people have such noisy systems. With my PSU fan off, everything
else in my computer is completely silent

Old October 31st 03, 11:21 AM
J.Clarke

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 15:25:07 -0000
"rstlne" .@. wrote:

Well, site them.

http://www.dansdata.com/images/io009/busted500.jpg
Google it yourself
If 1 clip never broke then mfgr's wouldnt have switch'd to using all 3
lugs

While it is certainly possible for an oversized clip-on heat sink to
come loose if the machine is mishandled, designing the processor for
this eventuality is kind of like designing an engine that will run for a
while with no coolant--maybe in principle it's a good idea but in
practice it's so rare an event eventuality that nobody really gives a
damn.

In any case, the _right_ solution is not trust to the processor
manufacturer's attempts at idiot-proofing, the _right_ solution is to
mount the heat sink in such a manner that it won't fall off.

Given a choice between a fast processor and one that is slower but
throttles down when the heat sink falls off, I'll take the fast one.
Given two that are equally fast but I pay more for the one that
throttles down when the heat sink falls off, I'll take the cheap one.

Further, if this is the only advantage that the Intel advocates can find
for their processors when compared to AMD, that pretty well says it all.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old October 31st 03, 11:49 AM
rstlne

"-= Ratz O. Fratzo =-" wrote in message
On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 00:03:26 -0000, "rstlne" .@. wrote:

If the heatsink comes off of a p4 will it continue to operate without

going
shibam, I think that's the big Q
THG seems to think that it will throttle itself down fast enough when the
HSF is removed so that no harm will come to it
where the "Athlons" will just go psst.

Well, the simple fix to this problem is to not remove the heatsink
from the CPU when the computer is powered on. I don't recall reading
too many reports of people's heatsinks just falling off while they're
using their computers.

The clips can break and it can fall off..
Granted for most users this doesnt apply as they dont move their computer
around the world

Old October 31st 03, 12:14 PM
-= Ratz O. Fratzo =-

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 11:49:20 -0000, "rstlne" .@. wrote:

The clips can break and it can fall off..
Granted for most users this doesnt apply as they dont move their computer
around the world

Can you site a single instance of this happening?

*´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·- Ratz O. Fratzo

Old October 31st 03, 04:17 PM
Buffalo

"Ben Pope" wrote in message
Buffalo wrote:
To add to the other replies.
If the heatsink/fan fails on an AMD, it will most like 'fry' and be
ruined.

How can a heatsink fail?

Technically, a heatsink most likely will not fail.
How? Not properly installed (tilted) by someone who is doing their own work.
Accidental dropping or jarring the PC?
Clip failure.
The main point is, an Intel cpu will throttle 'down' while an AMD will burn
'up'.
Don't get so damn picky.
I am just trying to give the OP more info.
Yes, I should have stated it differently. Probably something like "If the
cpu cooling system fails................"

Besides, Asus boards for example come with CPU Overheat Protection

(C.O.P.),
as do most other boards, so unlikely to 'fry'.

If the heatsink/fan fails on an Intel, it will most like just
go into its 'Fail-Safe' type mode and run much slower, but not fry.

No difference then...

Only if you have a MB that you refer too.

Ben

Old October 31st 03, 04:32 PM
-= Ratz O. Fratzo =-

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 15:25:07 -0000, "rstlne" .@. wrote:

Well, site them.

http://www.dansdata.com/images/io009/busted500.jpg
Google it yourself
If 1 clip never broke then mfgr's wouldnt have switch'd to using all 3 lugs

You said you could site several instances. So site them. If you
can't, I understand why.

*´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·- Ratz O. Fratzo
Old October 31st 03, 05:29 PM
Richard

Thank you all for your very interesting answers.

Richard

"Richard" a écrit dans le message
de .. .
Hi,

I have always bought Intel before but now that AMD is at least as
powerful that Intel but at a better price, I am thinking about getting

AMD.
Now I wonder, is there things that Intel can do that cannot be done with
AMD? Is there a difference in the quality of Intel and AMD? Does AMD

work
with every computer components such as different makes such as all kinds

of
graphic cards? Does it can run any kind of softwares just as Intel?

Thanks,

Richard

Intel, AMD... Mirko General 11 November 22nd 04 07:17 AM
Ghost speed differerent in AMD & Intel Zotin Khuma General 7 November 17th 04 06:56 AM
intel board, fans on during standby. intel d875PBZ. JohnJ General 0 January 13th 04 05:14 PM
Desperately need help installing OS with RAID on an Intel mobo Nate General 10 January 1st 04 07:17 PM
WD360 + Intel 875PBZ + XP Problem @drian General 0 November 6th 03 11:10 AM