M60 and SP2 woes.

Old March 6th 05, 07:56 PM
Its Only Me Again

Default M60 and SP2 woes.

I've come to the conclusion my M60 Win XP Pro just hates SP2.

I have yet again had to remove it.

Since 3rd installation 3 weeks ago no restore point have been created and
when I went to create one, before installing a piece of software, the system
just froze.

I had no problems before installing it and will just live without it.

dj

Old March 7th 05, 12:37 AM
David

One question...have you tried to install SP2 right after
a clean install of XP. Many problems with SP2 are
fixed with a fresh install of XP then immediately install SP2
(before internet access).
You can also create an XP cd with SP2 already
on it (slipstreamed) very easily with a free software
called autostreamer. This saves a bunch of time
when installing SP2 and actually creates exactly
the same cd that comes with now SP2 already on it.
Hope this helps.
Dave

Old March 7th 05, 07:57 AM
Its Only Me Again

Thanks Dave,

I have only had the M60 for 12 months and did not want to invoke the
warranty by messing with the OS.

You have a valid point as I have just installed a new MOBO in my desktop
comp and then did a clean OS install + SP2 and it works great.

Perhaps I might bite the bullet and go for the clean install.

regs
DJ

Old March 7th 05, 09:38 AM
Jupiter Jones

Do you have a spare hard drive you can temporarily install Windows XP SP-2?
Doing so will help determine the cause of your problems.
If it works, you can go ahead with a Clean Installation of Windows XP SP-2
on the main drive.
If not, you are then reasonably certain the problem is with your hardware.

Also see:

Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

Old March 7th 05, 01:45 PM
David

"Its Only Me Again" wrote:
I have only had the M60 for 12 months and did not want to invoke the
warranty by messing with the OS.

What do you mean by "invoke" the warranty?
Reinstalling windows does not affect your
warranty at all.
Best wishes.
Dave

Old March 7th 05, 07:28 PM
Its Only Me Again

Dave, This is my first Dell machine and I was more referring to installing
another FULL version Win XP other than using the Dell supplied disc.

I say this because I understood the Dell restore disc contains things that
are not required.

Or does it just contain XP and can I slipstream the restore disc.

Perhaps you can correct me on this issue.

dj

Old March 7th 05, 08:19 PM
David

If the disc say for "reinstallation of windows xp" or something
similar it IS a windows xp oem cd (very likely what you have).
I do not believe Dell supplies a "restore cd" but
they do now supply a restore "partition".
The restore partion is accessed by pressing shift F11 (or something
like that) and not accessed from a cd.
You can easily tell if it is an xp cd by changing your boot sequence in
the bios to cd and then booting from the cd. You will
know right away if it is an xp cd (it will get message on the
screen to "press any key to boot from cd").
Hope this helps.
Dave

Old March 7th 05, 08:24 PM
Its Only Me Again

OK Dave, thanks for your help.

I am going to spend this week sorting out backups before the reinstall.

regs
Don