Compaq Armada M700 Combo NIC driver problem

Old May 24th 04, 07:48 PM

Default Compaq Armada M700 Combo NIC driver problem

I have installed Win98SE on a Compaq Armada M700 laptop but cannot load
the drivers for the internal NIC. The NIC is a modem/NIC combo (part no.
1456VQL10H(INT)). I have downloaded and tried all of the drivers listed on

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/fi...4_1009.html#17

I have also tried the SP12942 driver d/l from driverguide.com which is
listed specifically for the 1456VQL10H combo NIC -- all without success.

In Windows, under Control Panel/System/Device Manager, There are modem
related devices listed under Network Adapters for which Windows has loaded
the drivers but there are no NIC/Ethernet related drivers there.

Under Unknown devices, there is an entry 'PCI Communication Device'
listed. I have tried loading all the above drivers for this Unknown
device, without success. It is unclear to me why, if this device is the
NIC component of the combo card, it should be listed here rather than
under Network Adapter.

The BIOS config. does not appear to have a NIC enable/disable option...

Any ideas?

Thanks
Tom Crane.
--
Tom Crane, Dept. Physics, Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham Hill,
Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, England.

Old May 24th 04, 09:29 PM

In comp.sys.laptops HH wrote:
What OS was originally installed?

I don't know -- it came with an erased HD ;-(
Tom.

HH

Old May 24th 04, 10:38 PM
HH

Did you try the driver from Compaq? It's he

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/fi...load/7792.html

HH

Old May 26th 04, 03:52 PM

In comp.sys.laptops Sharmon wrote:
Works wonders when you read the page

Indeed. I've tried the NIC diver on the URL below -- it is a link
from their main list of drivers for the M700 which I gave in my first post.

The thing that puzzles me is that the Windows device driver manager identifies
no Network Adapters corresponding to the Ethernet card when it boots.
If the H/W is present it should see it and prompt for the correct driver,
if its not present on the Windows installer CD. Agreed?

Tom

Old May 26th 04, 08:09 PM
HH

Not always. Software (controllerless) modems often are not detected by
Windows at all, or at best as an "unknown" device in Device Manager. That
may be true of your combo card as well.
HH

Old June 24th 04, 03:43 PM
ITApprentice

I have the same adapter (1456VQL10H(INT)) in an Armada M300. Still
can't get the darn thing to work. Has anyone gotten it to work. If so
are there any tricks to it?
Old June 25th 04, 05:48 PM

In comp.sys.laptops ITApprentice wrote:
I have the same adapter (1456VQL10H(INT)) in an Armada M300. Still
can't get the darn thing to work. Has anyone gotten it to work. If so

No. I gave up re; Ethernet and bought a cheap PCMCIA card instead. The
modem part of the combo works OK.

Tom.