Presario 5716 Hangs on Windows 2000 Install

Old January 13th 04, 02:56 PM
gmadison

Default Presario 5716 Hangs on Windows 2000 Install

I am trying to install Windows 2000 on a 5716. The first thing I tried
was booting from Windows 2000 install floppys. When I do this, I get a
Disk I/O error. Then, I re-formated the drive, installed CD drivers,
and ran the install off of the CD. After copying all of the files, It
re-booted and then hung there with a blinking cursor in the left hand
corner.

I have updated the BIOS to the latest version I could find on Compaq's
Web site (which was a 1999 version).

Anyone have this problem or know of a workaround?

Thank you.

Old January 17th 04, 08:21 PM

I have been reading all these upgrade letters...its important to
discover before installing ANYthing,...how much space do u have for
these applications, and perhaps upgrade the memory prior to these moves.
another choice is to purchase another tower with at least 2 gigs
available (used...I do it a lot) two ethernet cards (14.99 each) and a
cable[that price varies} and use the other tower for storage of all ur
stuff, it can be E drive or another designation not in use on ur main
tower.
this will free up the RAM on the main tower to not only allow
installation of a new windows program, but also to be able to actually
RUN the thing afterwards.
they sell external hard drives at circuit city et al 60 gig plus for
less than ud think that u can do this with too...I got one with 160 gig
[80 bux[for this purpose and now can save enormous amounts of music and
images to that drive freeing my main drive tower for booting up, and
doing the main stuff. My kid and I also share one phone line and go
online at the same time, her pc is designated 'server', mine'client'
using thoe same ethernet cards and cable
hope this helps...2 pc's one webtv still sane