Graphic Win Size on BIOS (ECS K7S5A Pro & Ti4200 64MB)

Old October 16th 03, 03:19 AM
Cuzman

Default Graphic Win Size on BIOS (ECS K7S5A Pro & Ti4200 64MB)

I was just checking through the unnoficial K7S5A Motherboard Guide v1.2f,
and it says the following with regards to the *Graphic Win Size* setting:

Graphic Win Size
From http://www.rojakpot.com: This BIOS feature allows you to select the
size of the AGP aperture. The aperture is a portion of the PCI memory
address range that is to be dedicated for use as AGP memory address space.
Host cycles that hit the aperture range are forwarded to the AGP bus without
need for translation. The aperture size also determines the maximum amount
of system RAM that can be allocated to the AGP graphics card for texture
storage.

The AGP aperture size should be calculated using this formula : maximum
usable AGP memory size x 2 plus 12MB. The actual usable AGP memory space is
less than half the AGP aperture size set in the BIOS. This is because the
AGP controller needs a write combined memory area equal in size to the
actual AGP memory area (uncached) plus an additional 12MB for virtual
addressing. Therefore, it isn't simply a matter of determining how much AGP
memory space you need. You also need to calculate the final aperture size by
doubling the amount of AGP memory space desired and adding 12MB to the
total.
Note: Graphic Win Size is the equivalent of AGP Aperture Size.

Well my system is as follows:

- Tsunami Sagittarius ATX window case & 350W PSU
- ECS K7S5A Pro mainboard
- AMD Athlon 2600XP CPU (266 FSB version)
- ThermalTake Volcano 11 Xaser Edition CPU heatsink & fan
- Western Digital Caviar ATA100 80Gb 7200rpm 8MB Cache hard drive
- 1 x 256MB PC133 Kingston SD-RAM
- Inno3D GeForce4 Ti4200 64MB graphics card
- Sony 1.44MB Floppy Drive
- LG DVD-ROM GDR-8161B 16x48
- LG CD-RW W8520B 52x24x52
- Windows XP Pro

So what level should I set the *Graphic Win Size* at to benefit my system
most while gaming? (I know... long explanation for a short question)

Thanks in advance.

Old October 16th 03, 07:54 PM
Shep©

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 03:19:39 +0100, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Cuzman"

From http://www.rojakpot.com: This BIOS feature allows you to select the
[...]

All these so called formulae are bogus.Set it to 64 meg unless you run
some graphics demo that requires it higher.
http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/aperture-size/

HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email
Old October 16th 03, 10:15 PM
Cuzman

"Shep©" wrote in message

" All these so called formulae are bogus.Set it to 64 meg unless you run
some graphics demo that requires it higher
http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/aperture-size/ "

Thanks.

Old October 18th 03, 04:09 PM
Buffalo

"Cuzman" wrote in message
"Shep©" wrote in message

" All these so called formulae are bogus.Set it to 64 meg unless you run
some graphics demo that requires it higher
http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/aperture-size/ "

Thanks.

Actually if you read the article that Shep linked to, they recommend that
you set it to a minimum of 128MB.
They also recommend to use 256MB if it doesn't cause a problem and you have
ample Physical ram on your machine.

"Performance is nearly identical from 16 to 256 MB, with minor dips at 64 MB
AAS and problems with 256 MB on the GeForce3 Ti500 card. With new games
coming out all the time that push our PCs to the limit, it might be a good
idea to try and run a higher AGP aperture size, to be sure you've allocated
enough memory for the video card. For this reason, we suggest at least a 128
MB AAS unless system memory is very low, or problems are experienced.

Ideally, you'd want to run a 256 MB AAS, as it would result in the best
video performance and compatibility. As our tests showed though, 256 MB AAS
does not work on all PCs and configurations, so it must be tested. You
should run an AAS of 256 MB on your system if you do not experience problems
and you have the memory to spare (or you do not notice problems with
applications hogging your memory). Remember that even if you have a 256 MB
aperture size set, it is highly unlikely that you'll use nearly 256 MB of
memory at a time."

DONT BUY ASUS PRODUCTS/TECH SUPPORT HORRIBLE tilimil Asus Motherboards 8 December 12th 04 06:56 AM
Alert at bootup Katy Asus Motherboards 3 September 24th 04 01:43 PM
Bios update: which file? Katy Asus Motherboards 2 September 23rd 04 04:54 AM
A7V & Promise Ultra 100 & WD 200GB HDD problem -=Bones=- Asus Motherboards 5 July 25th 04 02:07 AM
P4P800 BIOS Disaster!!!! Suggestions PLS!!! Ken Fox Asus Motherboards 19 January 10th 04 01:47 AM