A7V266-E: Voltage at 13.37 V after flashing BIOS

Old July 15th 03, 04:41 AM
Jochen

Default A7V266-E: Voltage at 13.37 V after flashing BIOS

Hallo,

I just needed to flash my BIOS of the A7V266 with a new BIOS (AE1011.AWD)
because I got a new CPU that is not supported by the older BIOS.
I downloaded both, the 1011 and the 1014 beta from the web-site of ASUS and
flashed the BIOS successfully. Everything works so far, the Athlon 2200+ is
working, but te ASUS-Probe now gives me always an error message, that the 12
V current is now at 13.37 V.

Since now my DVD-drive suddenly doesn't read DVDs anymore (normal CD's are
fine) and also another DVD-drive shows the same effect, I wonder whether the
mainboard may suffer damage from the higher voltage.

From the ASUS-support I didn't recieve any answer on several emails :-(((

Does anybody know?

Thanks a lot
Jochen

---
Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net
Complaints to
Old July 15th 03, 06:03 AM
Muttley

The BIOS does not have any control over the power supply voltages.
That is the sole responsibility of the power supply itself.
If it is actually too high, the power supply could be faulty.
Only way to really tell for sure is to measure with a voltmeter/multimeter.

The reported high voltage reading should only be an error in the BIOS
hardware voltage monitoring routines, or the ASUS probe program itself.

What does the voltage read in the BIOS hardware monitor?

John S.

"Jochen" wrote in message
Hallo,

I just needed to flash my BIOS of the A7V266 with a new BIOS

(AE1011.AWD)
because I got a new CPU that is not supported by the older BIOS.
I downloaded both, the 1011 and the 1014 beta from the web-site of ASUS

and
flashed the BIOS successfully. Everything works so far, the Athlon 2200+

is
working, but te ASUS-Probe now gives me always an error message, that the

12
V current is now at 13.37 V.

Since now my DVD-drive suddenly doesn't read DVDs anymore (normal CD's are
fine) and also another DVD-drive shows the same effect, I wonder whether

the
mainboard may suffer damage from the higher voltage.

From the ASUS-support I didn't recieve any answer on several emails :-(((

Does anybody know?

Thanks a lot
Jochen

---

Old July 15th 03, 06:43 AM
Tim

I had exactly the same problem except voltage was 13.184 and occasionally
would go to 13.2 something.

I now have the same PSU (enermax 350watt) in another machine and that
reports 12.1v so I no longer believe that the Asus monitor was reporting the
correct voltage.

Get a DVM out...

- Tim

news

"Jochen" wrote in message
Hallo,

I just needed to flash my BIOS of the A7V266 with a new BIOS

(AE1011.AWD)
because I got a new CPU that is not supported by the older BIOS.
I downloaded both, the 1011 and the 1014 beta from the web-site of ASUS

and
flashed the BIOS successfully. Everything works so far, the Athlon 2200+

is
working, but te ASUS-Probe now gives me always an error message, that

the
12
V current is now at 13.37 V.

Since now my DVD-drive suddenly doesn't read DVDs anymore (normal CD's

are
fine) and also another DVD-drive shows the same effect, I wonder whether

the
mainboard may suffer damage from the higher voltage.

From the ASUS-support I didn't recieve any answer on several emails

:-(((

Does anybody know?

Thanks a lot
Jochen

---

Old July 15th 03, 08:44 AM
Jochen

Hallo,

well, the hardware monitor in the BIOS says: 12.64 V, PC-Probe still at
13.367 V , Hmmmmm

I also had problems to imagine that the BIOS can influence the voltage but
everything is possible -
As I didn't change anything else except flashing the BIOS when the voltage
went up from 12.00 V to 13.367 V there are not so many possibilities.

And after I lost one Athlon due to overheating I am concerned ...

Thanks
Jochen

news

"Jochen" wrote in message
Hallo,

I just needed to flash my BIOS of the A7V266 with a new BIOS

(AE1011.AWD)
because I got a new CPU that is not supported by the older BIOS.
I downloaded both, the 1011 and the 1014 beta from the web-site of ASUS

and
flashed the BIOS successfully. Everything works so far, the Athlon 2200+

is
working, but te ASUS-Probe now gives me always an error message, that

the
12
V current is now at 13.37 V.

Since now my DVD-drive suddenly doesn't read DVDs anymore (normal CD's

are
fine) and also another DVD-drive shows the same effect, I wonder whether

the
mainboard may suffer damage from the higher voltage.

From the ASUS-support I didn't recieve any answer on several emails

:-(((

Does anybody know?

Thanks a lot
Jochen

---
Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net
Complaints to

---
Posted via
Complaints to

Large Hard Drive & BIOS upgrade problems Lago Jardin Homebuilt PC's 1 June 12th 04 02:08 PM
FIC 486-PIO-3 BIOS Flash Fails Every Time Dave Homebuilt PC's 2 August 4th 03 01:26 PM
Flashing BIOS w/Win2K Installed Steve Murphree Homebuilt PC's 1 July 15th 03 02:39 AM
BIOS Gricalus General 3 July 13th 03 12:07 PM
bios hung while flashing mdp General 1 June 23rd 03 11:18 AM