Win XP Pressario re install problems

Old June 6th 09, 12:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
John LaBella

Default Win XP Pressario re install problems

After encountering many BSOD (and trying all possible remedies - new HD
checking RAM etc etc. I re installed Win XP Pro SP2.
During install I had to use the F7 bypass - I don't recall having to do
that before.
However The unit seems a bit more reliable but one BIG problem... The OS
doesn't appear to recognise the fact that it is a Laptop using
batteries.
Yes I did try the go into power and select APM but no luck.
Any suggestions?

Also I thought about updating the BIOS but all the versions I saw
require the use of a floppy (nice one HP don't supply a floppy and
require one to update) any suggestions for that?

Thanks
Old June 6th 09, 02:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
HH[_7_]

You mean you "installed" XP Pro. AFAIK, no Presario ever came with XP Pro.
Did you install the chipset drivers IMMEDIATELY after the OS before any
other drivers? If not, I'd recommend doing that now.

HH

. ..

Old June 10th 09, 12:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
John LaBella

In article PdKdnbLoVITb87fXnZ2dnUVZ_qednZ2d@metrocastcablevi sion.com,
says...
[...]

I replaced the XP home with a real XP Pro I downloaded all of the
drivers for the model from Compaq's site - went through the several
hours of installing all of them followed by Most of the win Service
packs (although I haven't installed SP3.) then Office then other
applications I use on a frequent basis. It was only then I realised that
the power option did not have all of the info it used to have (it used
to indicate level of charge in the battery). Yes I did try selecting APM
- I did check the installed devices - but there was no trace of anything
about APM or ACPI. I downloaded a third party battery program - which
did not show the prescence of ny batteries.

I seem to think that something is missing or not installed (and I am at
a loss on how to recover it) as when I disconnect the ac power I don't
seem to see the same drop in screen brightness and slow down (I am
thinking perhaps the SpeedStep function is missing). I have tried
selecting various schema - max battery power etc in the power control
applet - all to no avail.
Thank you

compaq pressario 7360 linux_sieci Compaq Computers 2 January 24th 08 09:54 PM
pressario 4000 zack Compaq Computers 1 November 15th 07 08:23 PM
pressario R3000 com 9 gérard manvusa Compaq Computers 0 June 10th 06 02:48 PM
Help with my Pressario 2105US Laptop rj664 Compaq Computers 1 October 12th 04 04:10 PM
Problems with Norton Anti-Virus 2003 on pressario laptops. David McCoy Compaq Computers 0 August 14th 03 12:18 PM