my motherboard died

Old March 26th 07, 07:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shannon[_2_]

Default my motherboard died

Hello everyone,
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Old Computer = dead Motherboard
E-Machines T2042
Windows XP
Hard drive interface = ATA ???
40 pins blah blah blah

New Computer
E-Macines T3604
Windows Vista
Hard drive interface = Serial ATA

This may be a bit long winded but I want to be sure everyone can
understand the problem and what I have done to try to rectify the
problem.

Here goes,
My original hard in the T2042 died so I bought a Seagate 120gb
Internal Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive-ST3120026A-RK Installed and
everything went fine.
I purchased another same drive for extra space.
Now my mother board blew and the new pc T3604 is compatible with only
Serial ATA drives.

I want to get the data off of my 2 purchased hard drives.
here is what i have tried . in the T3604 I have only one cd drive but
space for 2 the ribbon is the same as the one used in my old pc for
the hard drives so I tried to set one of the purchased drives as a
slave drive connected to the cd drive.
The computer only then boots at a screen that askes me if I want to
restart windows normally or at last known working configuration, or in
safe mode and maybe one or two more options. I have tried to allocate
what drive to boot from in the bios system but to no avail.

I have tried using my moms old pc which is a HP and running windows ME
I installed the installation disk for the hard drive and everything
goes just fine until it tells me that I need to erase the Partition or
data (Whatever it says) before I can continue to install the drive

I have called Seagate, E-Machine, Geek Squad but noone can seem to
help. You are my last hope before I have to spend another few hundred
dollars to have someone put everything on disks. I really dont want to
do that considering I just spent 400 for a new tower.

Thanks everyone,
Shannon

Old March 26th 07, 08:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Ghostrider

Shannon wrote:

[...]

The simplest way to transfer data from an old hard drive to a new
hard drive, without having to figure out how to make the connection
(or without junking the data in the old HD), is to use an external
USB/Firewire HD enclosure.
Old March 26th 07, 08:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike T.

"Shannon" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

First, triple-check to make sure your boot sequence is set correctly in the
BIOS. You should be able to set a boot order by type of boot device
(floppy, hard drive, CD-Rom, network, etc.), and then further select a
specific boot device, also. (in other words, if hard drive is first on boot
list, you should also be able to select WHICH hard drive to boot from). If
that doesn't work:

With T3604 powered off and unplugged from the wall outlet, disconnect cables
from back of original (SATA) hard drive in T3604. Also disconnect data
(IDE) connector from back of CD drive and any other drive it is connected
to.

Take two seagate hard drives. Jumper one as master (the one that windows is
installed on). Jumper the other one as slave. Put the master disk on the
FAR end of the IDE cable (the one that you borrowed from the CD drive). Put
the slave in the "middle" of the IDE cable (the one that you borrowed from
the CD drive). Be sure to remember to hook up power connector to Seagate
hard drives. You don't necessarily have to mount these seagate hard drives
in the case yet, but I'd suggest you do that, at least temporarily (with one
screw on each side).

Now you can plug in your computer and try to boot it. Chances are, it will
not boot correctly. You may have to do a repair install of windows XP
(temporarily install CD-Rom drive jumpered as "slave" in middle of IDE cable
to do so, then replace with slave seagate hard drive). As long as you don't
format any logical drives or repartition any hard drives, your "data" should
survive a repair installation of windows XP. As soon as you get windows XP
to boot from the Seagate hard drive, then you are all set. Transfer your
data to a flash drive (USB memory stick) or...

1) Copy all data files from the windows drive on the seagate hard drive to
the OTHER seagate hard drive.
2) Use windows explorer to 'explore' the slave seagate hard drive to verify
all data files are where you think you put them. This slave hard drive will
likely show up as logical "drive D:", though it could be any other letter
higher than C:
3) Turn off computer and unplug it from the wall outlet
4) Disconnect both seagate hard drives.
5) Jumper CD-Rom drive as "master" and hook it up to the end of the IDE
cable.
6) Put "slave" Seagate hard drive on middle connector of IDE cable
7) Set "master" seagate hard drive aside for the moment
8) Hook up SATA hard drive power and data cables
9) Plug in computer and turn on.
10) System should boot from SATA drive now and auto-detect and install a
new hard drive (the seagate slave, with your data files on it).

Good luck, -Dave

Old March 26th 07, 08:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
meerkat

"Shannon" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello everyone,
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

As ghostrider says plug one of the drives into this...
http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/prod...KI-C35SI&af=50

It`s what i use as a pluggable drive, they are Excellent.
Make sure the drive is set to Master, and your machine will
find it when you plug it in.
Always use the `safely unplug` method of disconnecting
it !!.

Old March 26th 07, 09:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shannon[_2_]

thank you all I will try any and all of these solutions and get back
as to which one worked
again thank you all very much