So what if thermal compound spreads?

Old April 11th 04, 01:07 AM
Jim

Default So what if thermal compound spreads?

Depends, depends on how much and the CPU. On the Intel, much less of a
problem (as long as it's not creeping around on to the underside!). On the
AMD, much more problematic. The AMD core is *exposed*, and thus there are
various "bridges" that surround it. The last thing you want to do is
"short" one of those bridges because you got to sloppy w/ the thermal paste!

But having too much paste indicates another problem. The paste is ONLY
there to fill the microscopic imperfections between the mating surfaces. If
those surfaces were perfect, you wouldn't even need the paste, in fact, it
would *hinder* heat transfer. If you have so much paste on the mating
surfaces that installation causes much of it to squeeze out, it indicates
you have too much paste! Think of it this way, if we could use the paste to
fill ONLY the imperfections, that would be ideal. Every bit of paste that
*interferes* with contact between the CPU and heatsink is working NEGATIVELY
against heat trasnfer. We're only interested in preventing VOIDS between
the mating surfaces. Anything that's NOT filling the voids and is actually
*preventing* surface to surface contact between the CPU and heatsink and
thus *hindering* heat transfer, not helping.

Bottomline: The less the better, ideally zero, but since this is an
imperfect world, we need some, so use as little as possible.

HTH

Jim

"CrackerJack" wrote in message
What exactly is the problem if too much cpu compound is put on the
core and it gets squashed out onto the surrounding area?

Apart from looking messy, is there any real problem with this?

Old April 11th 04, 10:17 AM
QBall

No problem at all .... if you don't mind higher temps !
You need to maximise metal-metal contact.
With a mirror-shine finish (above 1200 grit), you only need invisible
amounts of goop.
Enough to take off the shine, only.

Old April 11th 04, 03:36 PM
Max

Rob Morley wrote:

Yes as it acts as an insulator. The idea of thermal
compound is to fill the very small scratches on the
faces.

Actually the thermal paste is non-conductive.

Eh?

You thought he meant thermally, we realised he meant
electrically.

I realised he could have meant either, so asked for
elaboration. Actually some thermal compund is electrically
conductive too,

Which one?

so I think it was a dangerous statement to
make.