PCs to change radically in 2004! (The Enquirer)

Old January 30th 04, 10:10 PM
Wayne Youngman

"TomG" wrote
one problem for sure... if you decide to wait on something new, there

will
*always* be something new! you will always be waiting! I have a fried

who
kept waiting for the "new" stuff and after a couple of years without a PC,
he says "damn! I keep waiting but it never stops!" He finally went out

an
bought current state of the art and is very happy.

Hi,

when was the last time you had your Case *form-factor* changed? (4 years ago
maybe?)

when was the last time you had your PSU *form-factor* changed? (2 years ago
maybe?)

when was the last time you had your Graphics Card *form-factor* changed?(4
years ago maybe?)

when was the last time you had your Memory *form-factor* changed?(4 years
ago maybe?)

when was the last time you had your PCI/Expansion Cards *form-factor*
changed?(4 years ago maybe?)

Please try and understand my posts before you give a *blanket* response
people, what is happening here is *Exceptional* don't you see? when ever in
your life have you ever seen something like this before?

never. . .thought so!

I know about the waiting game, but this time it is different, very different
but you don't see it.
--
Wayne ][

Old January 30th 04, 10:19 PM
Wayne Youngman

"rstlne" wrote
I think it's time for the changes to be honest..
DDR2 is going to be out of here (for the most part) when the BTX systems
come into play and I think it's great that the AGP/PCI slots are going

away
and becoming a more robust standard.. It's somewhat lame that we have to

buy
2 (or in some cases 3 or 4) types of cards to fill your computer slots..

I dont like how INTEL has decided to shove the mobo on the left side of

the
case.. It means that we cant even adapt the cases&rigs that we currently
have.. Granted I think they want hte systems to run cooler and more
efficently and I guess doing this will force ppl to rebuild the cases

around
their own Standard instead of just doing modifications.

I think it's a good thing all in all.. I am sure that when it all comes to
the market that i'll see things I miss, The ps2 keyboard was the most

flimsy
thing to ever hit the market and I still HATE that it's gone to ps2 (I

like
that SOLID bus port plug)..

Hi,
At last someone who makes a sensible reply! To many dismissive people here,
makes it hard to get a nice thread going. I like to build nice machines,
and ones that are a *little* future proof, but it seems a LARGE investment
in a modern day ATX Style rigg is now a bad idea if you like to tweak and
upgrade. . .

The past few years it would have been the case of maybe swapping out a mobo
or such like, not having to start from scratch because every single piece of
kit you own (excluding USB2.0 devices, monitors, printers etc) no longer is
compatible?

I been involved in I.T hardware many years and I never heard of such a thing
as what is proposed this year!
--
Wayne ][

Old January 30th 04, 10:26 PM
Wayne Youngman

"Ed" wrote
If you stick with AMD I'd bet an ATX setup today would be good for
another 5 years, I just don't see AMD switching to the BTX layout
anytime soon, unless ATX disappears overnight and they have no other
choice.

Hi,
interesting point, What we may be seeing now is INTEL breaking away
*totally*. What I mean by that is if you choose *INTEL Inside* then all
your components will only work on an INTEL system. That means that not one
single component from your INTEL system will work with AMD? (hmm apart from
Hard-disks, and USB2.0 devices). Whereas today only the CPU is bound, you
can swap memory and graphics cards between AMD & INTEL systems, not for
long, you must choose!

You see where this is going if AMD stick to ATX. . .
--
Wayne ][

Old January 30th 04, 10:29 PM
Dashi

That is a good timely report Wayne,

Dashi

"Wayne Youngman" wrote in message

"rstlne"wrote
You know
In Technolgoy terms
Ur about 1/3 of the lifecycle late on that report

Well, my *emphasise* was on the fact that it's all happening rather
quickly
for INTEL, allot of new changes all at once?. . .

Whats your thoughts then?
--
Wayne ][

Old January 30th 04, 10:45 PM
John Lewis

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 21:29:56 GMT, "Dashi" wrote:

That is a good timely report Wayne,

Dashi

"Wayne Youngman" wrote in message

"rstlne"wrote
You know
In Technolgoy terms
Ur about 1/3 of the lifecycle late on that report

Well, my *emphasise* was on the fact that it's all happening rather
quickly
for INTEL, allot of new changes all at once?. . .

Whats your thoughts then?
--
Wayne ][

The reference Intel BTX is a thoroughly flawed thermal design.

For details on BTX - see

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1876

Why flawed ? It is CPU-thermal centric. The video card
is in the exhaust flow from the CPU. Much, much worse
than ATX.

Unfortunately, the next gen GPU chips are likely to have
more transistors than the CPUs and may be on a process-step
one generation back from the CPUs. End result, the
GPU is very likely to dissipate far MORE heat than the
processor !!!

Anyway, what do you expect from an Intel, strong in processors,
weak in graphics ?

I expect people with more holistic sense in the PC industry
will come up with a design with better thermal trade-off between
CPU and GPU, and not a bunch of band-aids and unnecessary
fans and air-ducts on BTX. An opportunity for the AMD camp ??

John Lewis

Old January 30th 04, 11:03 PM
TomG

I see it, Wayne. Calm down. Fact is, I didn't jump on the ATX wagon when
it first came out and I won't jump on this new wagon right away either. I
also won't loose sleep that I'm not on that wagon.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror ----- Cable modem IP
over 120,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

Old January 30th 04, 11:07 PM
Enkidu

Wayne Youngman wrote:

I know about the waiting game, but this time it is different, very different
but you don't see it.

We've all seen a lot of promised technological innovation never
materialize, or make a significant effect on the market. It is
especially difficult to get excited when the prophet of futuretech is
a hastily written editorial which uncritically accepts corporate
"forecasts" under the misbegotten premise that corporations, rather
than consumers, control the success of products in an open market.

Enkidu

Old January 30th 04, 11:27 PM
tankd0g

In article ,
says...
Hi,

I'm sure most of you know about these changes, but it seems 2004 is *INTELS*
year to go WHOOOOSH! Makes me question spending £200.00 on a new case and
PSU (sniff bye bye coolermaster/lian-li ATX case and ANTEC TrueBlue 480w)

www.theinquirer.net/?article=13425

All that and they don't even mention the push to get rid of the BIOS.
--
Remove "X" from email address to reply.
Old January 30th 04, 11:40 PM
Immuno

[...]

To pick a "technology" at random g RAMBUS!

Pete